Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #1

Garage
Two questions of clarification

1. Is it wrong to say "pour-shh" and right to say "pour-shh-uh" or is that just preference?

2. Is there a valid defendable reason car guys blank out their tags in photos? Or is this sort of like "legal" confidentiality clauses at the bottom of emails where some clown did it once and then everyone else thought it was cool and followed. I'd love to eat crow on this and hear why I'm wrong, but you do realize as you're driving down the street other real people can read your license plate right?! Gasp!

scottvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
1) There is only one correct way to pronounce my family name and ya better get it right or I'm going to be offended! Keeping that in mind, the good Dr.'s last name is Porsche (Porsch-uh). There is no other way and it most definitely isn't a matter of preference. Keep it straight and correct as many people as you can, as fast as you can, at all times. Don't stop for anything.

2) Is a matter of preference, so get over it
I'm a smart a**, the interwebs are full of crazies, and I'm sure I've pissed a lot of them off at one point or another. A plate # can be used to gain personal info about someone. Maybe I don't want all of my personal info floating around on my pics...duh!!!

Last edited by particlewave; 12-17-2013 at 07:55 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #3

1) The car name is Porsch, but over the years it has become customary to add the uh, e.g. the sound you make when the engine light comes on....again....
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
2) Is a matter of preference, so get over it
I'm a smart a**, the interwebs are full of crazies, and I'm sure I've pissed a lot of them off at one point or another. A plate # can be used to gain personal info about someone. Maybe I don't want all of my personal info floating around on my pics...duh!!!
LOL, ok Charles, you want to remain anonymous by blocking your license plates?

-edited out personal stuff-

^ I have no idea who you are and that took me like 5 min to scour. BTW, I think I rub more people wrong on the road than online. But ok, I'll get over it. (:

Last edited by scottvd; 12-17-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
1) The car name is Porsch, but over the years it has become customary to add the uh, e.g. the sound you make when the engine light comes on....again....
ROFL, bitter much?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

Actually not only bitter but cold. In addition to the fun ongoing engine light chase the most recent "quirk" is my windows randomly rolling down (both sides) while driving.

I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation and fix for this....just part of the joy of owning a Porsche....uh
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
Rofl thats great.
If you wanna be all German on the subject, its pronounced poor - sha two syllables
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #8

It's true the family name is actually pronounced with the "uh" at the end.

Now the reason Particle has his undies in such a wad is a totally different matter. I think so many are looking to be offended or hoping for the chance to be an a-hole to others, is shameful and lacks class. Don't let it bother you Scott (I won't even ask about the VD issue, lol). I have found most of the posters in here to be decent people that are more than helpful, there will always be some that have problems with being decent to others, wherever you go, as pathetic as that is.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Now the reason Particle has his undies in such a wad is a totally different matter.
Ummm...I was joking, as I usually am. Did I not include enough smilies, or did you just read a word or two and fill in the rest yourself

Lighten up and maybe that chip will fall off
I think you are projecting, buddy.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 12-23-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Now the reason Particle has his undies in such a wad is a totally different matter. I think so many are looking to be offended or hoping for the chance to be an a-hole to others, is shameful and lacks class. Don't let it bother you Scott (I won't even ask about the VD issue, lol). I have found most of the posters in here to be decent people that are more than helpful, there will always be some that have problems with being decent to others, wherever you go, as pathetic as that is.
LOL, yes the "VD" has haunted me since grade school as you can imagine! It's for my last name "Vander Dussen" which is of Dutch descent.

So far I think this forum is great, I've already learned a ton. I'm sure Particle is a totally cool guy - but I still don't get the license plate thing. I guess what's so weird about it (for me) as a photography enthusiast is how much a blacked out, white out, pixilated, or the worst is the swirled license plate distracts from an otherwise good looking photo.

Take the plate off and then take your picture if you feel the need to hide that info from people probably hundreds if not thousands of miles away!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post

Take the plate off and then take your picture if you feel the need to hide that info from people probably hundreds if not thousands of miles away!
That's what I did

As far as personal info, it's a matter of personal choice. A good hacker, someone savvy with electronics and tech perhaps, could find tons of your personal info and post it online.
Credit card #'s, SSN, etc...that doesn't make it ok

I totally agree, though. Any info that can be gleaned from a plate # is already everywhere and they do ugly up the pictures!!!

Last edited by particlewave; 12-17-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Stuff that's on my profile is fine, the other stuff is my call and you did not ask my permission.
Edited! You haven't been doing Google searches for pressure cookers and jansports have you? Peace..
Old 12-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
1. Is it wrong to say "pour-shh" and right to say "pour-shh-uh" or is that just preference?

2. Is there a valid defendable reason car guys blank out their tags in photos? Or is this sort of like "legal" confidentiality clauses at the bottom of emails where some clown did it once and then everyone else thought it was cool and followed. I'd love to eat crow on this and hear why I'm wrong, but you do realize as you're driving down the street other real people can read your license plate right?! Gasp!
I have never understood blocking plates. do you block your plate when you drive? Did you know I have a pen in my car and can write down your license plate while following you? Do you tell the cop when he pulls you over that you block it on websites so you figured it was ok to block it while driving?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #15

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I have never understood blocking plates. do you block your plate when you drive? Did you know I have a pen in my car and can write down your license plate while following you? Do you tell the cop when he pulls you over that you block it on websites so you figured it was ok to block it while driving?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #16

I've thought long and hard about the pronunciation debate. Frankly, I think the porsh-uh pronunciation comes off as a little pretentious, especially when talking to non-Porsche people.

So I save it for the dealership and the pca meetings. Around everyone else, it's a porsh. Or I duck the issue entirely and refer to it as the Boxster.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #17

Garage
To us owners, we are allowed to slang the reference and say 'porsch'. To non-owners, they must pay respects and say the full name of 'porschuuuah'.

At least that is what I have enforced
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
To us owners, we are allowed to slang the reference and say 'porsch'. To non-owners, they must pay respects and say the full name of 'porschuuuah'.

At least that is what I have enforced
+1-- ha ha makes sense
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I pronounce it like "I'm sitting on the front Porch" just to see reactions.

I use to run this plate on the back of my 911 but was always afraid I'd stuff it into a guard rail or something and someone would take a picture, I've since returned to a regular plate:

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #20

Garage
How To Pronounce Porsche - YouTube

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote