986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Two questions of clarification (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49923-two-questions-clarification.html)

scottvd 12-17-2013 06:24 AM

Two questions of clarification

1. Is it wrong to say "pour-shh" and right to say "pour-shh-uh" or is that just preference?

2. Is there a valid defendable reason car guys blank out their tags in photos? Or is this sort of like "legal" confidentiality clauses at the bottom of emails where some clown did it once and then everyone else thought it was cool and followed. I'd love to eat crow on this and hear why I'm wrong, but you do realize as you're driving down the street other real people can read your license plate right?! Gasp! :eek:

particlewave 12-17-2013 06:59 AM

1) There is only one correct way to pronounce my family name and ya better get it right or I'm going to be offended! Keeping that in mind, the good Dr.'s last name is Porsche (Porsch-uh). There is no other way and it most definitely isn't a matter of preference. Keep it straight and correct as many people as you can, as fast as you can, at all times. Don't stop for anything.

2) Is a matter of preference, so get over it :p
I'm a smart a**, the interwebs are full of crazies, and I'm sure I've pissed a lot of them off at one point or another. A plate # can be used to gain personal info about someone. Maybe I don't want all of my personal info floating around on my pics...duh!!! ;) :D

runjmc2 12-17-2013 07:10 AM

1) The car name is Porsch, but over the years it has become customary to add the uh, e.g. the sound you make when the engine light comes on....again....

scottvd 12-17-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 376944)
2) Is a matter of preference, so get over it :p
I'm a smart a**, the interwebs are full of crazies, and I'm sure I've pissed a lot of them off at one point or another. A plate # can be used to gain personal info about someone. Maybe I don't want all of my personal info floating around on my pics...duh!!! ;) :D

LOL, ok Charles, you want to remain anonymous by blocking your license plates?

-edited out personal stuff-

^ I have no idea who you are and that took me like 5 min to scour. BTW, I think I rub more people wrong on the road than online. But ok, I'll get over it. (:

scottvd 12-17-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runjmc2 (Post 376946)
1) The car name is Porsch, but over the years it has become customary to add the uh, e.g. the sound you make when the engine light comes on....again....

ROFL, bitter much?

runjmc2 12-17-2013 08:35 AM

Actually not only bitter but cold. In addition to the fun ongoing engine light chase the most recent "quirk" is my windows randomly rolling down (both sides) while driving.

I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation and fix for this....just part of the joy of owning a Porsche....uh

newob 12-17-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runjmc2 (Post 376946)

Rofl thats great.
If you wanna be all German on the subject, its pronounced poor - sha two syllables

Slate 01 12-17-2013 08:42 AM

It's true the family name is actually pronounced with the "uh" at the end.

Now the reason Particle has his undies in such a wad is a totally different matter. I think so many are looking to be offended or hoping for the chance to be an a-hole to others, is shameful and lacks class. Don't let it bother you Scott (I won't even ask about the VD issue, lol). I have found most of the posters in here to be decent people that are more than helpful, there will always be some that have problems with being decent to others, wherever you go, as pathetic as that is.

particlewave 12-17-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slate 01 (Post 376967)
Now the reason Particle has his undies in such a wad is a totally different matter.

Ummm...I was joking, as I usually am. Did I not include enough smilies, or did you just read a word or two and fill in the rest yourself :p

Lighten up and maybe that chip will fall off ;)
I think you are projecting, buddy.

particlewave 12-17-2013 09:02 AM

scottvd 12-17-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slate 01 (Post 376967)
Now the reason Particle has his undies in such a wad is a totally different matter. I think so many are looking to be offended or hoping for the chance to be an a-hole to others, is shameful and lacks class. Don't let it bother you Scott (I won't even ask about the VD issue, lol). I have found most of the posters in here to be decent people that are more than helpful, there will always be some that have problems with being decent to others, wherever you go, as pathetic as that is.

LOL, yes the "VD" has haunted me since grade school as you can imagine! It's for my last name "Vander Dussen" which is of Dutch descent.

So far I think this forum is great, I've already learned a ton. I'm sure Particle is a totally cool guy - but I still don't get the license plate thing. :confused: I guess what's so weird about it (for me) as a photography enthusiast is how much a blacked out, white out, pixilated, or the worst is the swirled license plate distracts from an otherwise good looking photo. :barf:

Take the plate off and then take your picture if you feel the need to hide that info from people probably hundreds if not thousands of miles away! ;)

particlewave 12-17-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottvd (Post 376973)

Take the plate off and then take your picture if you feel the need to hide that info from people probably hundreds if not thousands of miles away! ;)

That's what I did ;)

As far as personal info, it's a matter of personal choice. A good hacker, someone savvy with electronics and tech perhaps, could find tons of your personal info and post it online.
Credit card #'s, SSN, etc...that doesn't make it ok ;)

I totally agree, though. Any info that can be gleaned from a plate # is already everywhere and they do ugly up the pictures!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

scottvd 12-17-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 376972)
Stuff that's on my profile is fine, the other stuff is my call and you did not ask my permission.

Edited! You haven't been doing Google searches for pressure cookers and jansports have you? :) Peace..

trimer 12-17-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottvd (Post 376939)
1. Is it wrong to say "pour-shh" and right to say "pour-shh-uh" or is that just preference?

2. Is there a valid defendable reason car guys blank out their tags in photos? Or is this sort of like "legal" confidentiality clauses at the bottom of emails where some clown did it once and then everyone else thought it was cool and followed. I'd love to eat crow on this and hear why I'm wrong, but you do realize as you're driving down the street other real people can read your license plate right?! Gasp! :eek:

I have never understood blocking plates. do you block your plate when you drive? Did you know I have a pen in my car and can write down your license plate while following you? Do you tell the cop when he pulls you over that you block it on websites so you figured it was ok to block it while driving?

golonaus 12-17-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 376988)
I have never understood blocking plates. do you block your plate when you drive? Did you know I have a pen in my car and can write down your license plate while following you? Do you tell the cop when he pulls you over that you block it on websites so you figured it was ok to block it while driving?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Mark_T 12-17-2013 10:40 AM

I've thought long and hard about the pronunciation debate. Frankly, I think the porsh-uh pronunciation comes off as a little pretentious, especially when talking to non-Porsche people.

So I save it for the dealership and the pca meetings. Around everyone else, it's a porsh. Or I duck the issue entirely and refer to it as the Boxster.

epapp 12-17-2013 11:03 AM

To us owners, we are allowed to slang the reference and say 'porsch'. To non-owners, they must pay respects and say the full name of 'porschuuuah'.

At least that is what I have enforced

woodsman 12-17-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epapp (Post 377010)
To us owners, we are allowed to slang the reference and say 'porsch'. To non-owners, they must pay respects and say the full name of 'porschuuuah'.

At least that is what I have enforced

+1-- ha ha makes sense :D

coreseller 12-17-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 376988)

I pronounce it like "I'm sitting on the front Porch" just to see reactions.

I use to run this plate on the back of my 911 but was always afraid I'd stuff it into a guard rail or something and someone would take a picture, I've since returned to a regular plate:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ler/NoStig.jpg

jsceash 12-17-2013 05:24 PM

How To Pronounce Porsche - YouTube