Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #1

Question Wheel spacers

I recently purchased a 2.7 Boxster, fitted with standard 17" alloys. Can anyone tell me which type of spacers and bolts i require, if i was to fit 18" turbo alloys? Fronts 8.5"- offset ET47, rears 10" - offset ET52.
Also where would you purchase them from and what would the approx. cost be???

The Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #2

the rear needs to be at about 45 to 47mm in offset.
i got mine from ebay (about 120). and its an adaptor type, one that screws on to the rotors.
much better than spacers, plus if you buy spacers you need to buy new longer lug bolts and that about 100 bones.

ps. your front is fine, no need.

pss. they will not balance your wheels if it is sitting on spacers or adaptors, at least for mine they didnt.
kajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #3

Wherever you get them, make sure they are hub centric AND wheel centric. The ones at Vertex Automotive are both if they have the right size.

Otherwise you'll possibly have shake or vibration because the spacers will be centered on the lugs.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #4

Fronts are fine. You can run 42mm - 47mm on a Box on the rear. I'd go with 45mm; any more and your tires will hit the e-brake cables and you'll have to tie them out of the way. You'll need 7mm spacers for this. you'll also need longer bolts (73mm).

if you choose to go for 5mm spacers (47mm offset), you can use the stock bolts. this will save you about $120. i got my spacers and bolts from ********************************.com. if you get new bolts, you will have to remove the cones from your old bolts and put them on the new ones (a pain).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies.

I've tried sourcing a set of 7mm spacers which are hub and wheel centric but i have had no luck. Do you know of any where as the supplier websites do not??
I am in the UK so they would have to accept overseas shipping!

Otherwise it looks like i will have to source a 7mm spacer and bolt kit.
The Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
if you choose to go for 5mm spacers (47mm offset), you can use the stock bolts. this will save you about $120. i got my spacers and bolts from ********************************.com. if you get new bolts, you will have to remove the cones from your old bolts and put them on the new ones (a pain).

I disagree with this advice. If you use a 5mm spacer, you need to have wheel bolts that are also 5mm longer (part # 996 361 980 02)!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I disagree with this advice. If you use a 5mm spacer, you need to have wheel bolts that are also 5mm longer (part # 996 361 980 02)!
Hi,

I'm glad you said it!

Why risk a $20k+ Car, not to mention Human Tissue, for a measly $120? I mean, these things are what keep the wheels on! Pretty BIG Job for such an uncelebrated part...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote