Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I was thinking a top down pic just printed out to scale. Might take a few minutes, but waiting for a template in the mail would take days.

Either way, great work!
Go for it...suggestion, get some double sided tape and put a small piece to each letter before removing the backing to the letter. I mean small, maybe 1/8" slice. Or, prop up deck lid so it is level then snap a straight line for a bottom line up. Next layout your letters before doing the final positioning.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #22

That looks great. I just got a 2008 Cayman S and am going to put the new style emblem on it. Maybe not the individual letters but definitely the "Cayman S".
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
If you took that blue tape and went back out to your car, taped off all around the letters etc all the way to each edge and down to the edge of trunk, pulled that off, stick it on stiff type of construction board, traced and cut, you could have the perfect template to sell. I'd buy one!
If a few people are interested, I can trace it out and send you all paper templates. PM me if you want one Is $15 fair?
jongorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongorges View Post
If a few people are interested, I can trace it out and send you all paper templates. PM me if you want one Is $15 fair?
If you can get all the curves right etc, I would take one
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #25

Trimer, just put some dental floss behind the old Boxster emblem, and floss it off, and goo-gone the glue. It's easy.

Last edited by deptotpr; 11-24-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: edit
deptotpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptotpr View Post
Trimer, just put some dental floss behind the old Boxster emblem, and floss it off, and goo-gone the glue. It's easy.
Is there usually adhesive residue left over to get off? I put some aftermarket door sills on and a little of the trim adhesive dripped on the door sill and it was a major PITA to get off of the car paint. Can't imagine if I had to do that for an entire emblem worth
joejitsumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #27

Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure if it would look out of place, but so far I've been getting positive reviews. Now to think of other good mods... Hmmm
Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #28
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsumd View Post
Is there usually adhesive residue left over to get off? I put some aftermarket door sills on and a little of the trim adhesive dripped on the door sill and it was a major PITA to get off of the car paint. Can't imagine if I had to do that for an entire emblem worth
The adhesive is is double sided foam tape. It gets a bit hard after a decade, but comes off easy enough with WD-40.

Did mine about a year and a half ago...
Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #29

Garage
The emblem looks great. But, the color of the vehicle is hideous !
Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #30

As everyone has said... that looks awesome! Good job.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #31

This looks great, and is exactly what I've been considering doing since the 981's came out. PM will be sent soon.
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #32

Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback. As far as templates, yes I can make you one, although I'm out of town for thanksgiving, so it will probably be this weekend. If you'd like one, please PM me with:

1- name
2- address
3- Boxster or Boxster S ?

Also, the template will be made for the 981 emblem lettering. I bought mine from ****************************************************. I'm not sure if it will fit the cayenne or panamera lettering, so there's my disclaimer. I'll PM you with my Paypal info once I make them this weekend. I think 15 bucks is fair! Thanks!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #33
jakesbox

just as an FYI to all of us...can you tell us how you will make the template or what form it will be in? Is this going to be something that we can actually lay on the back of the car and put the lettering into each cut out? Just curious what method you will use. I am going to PM you.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 11-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
just as an FYI to all of us...can you tell us how you will make the template or what form it will be in? Is this going to be something that we can actually lay on the back of the car and put the lettering into each cut out? Just curious what method you will use. I am going to PM you.
Yes, it'll be a paper template with cutouts. Just tape it on your trunk lid and glue the letters in the cutouts. I'm actually kinda envious, I wish there was one available to me when I started Also, you have to post a picture of the finished product once you have it on
Old 11-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #35

Here's how they do it in the factory.

Porsche 911 Carrera FACTORY (Type 991) - YouTube

Take notice of the good looking wormen in production.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
jakesbox

Quote:
Yes, it'll be a paper template with cutouts. Just tape it on your trunk lid and glue the letters in the cutouts. I'm actually kinda envious, I wish there was one available to me when I started Also, you have to post a picture of the finished product once you have it on
Mine might take some time. I have a rear deck lid spoiler that is in the way and need to figure out how to take that off. It was never screwed in place only taped so I assume much like the boxster emblem - a litte dental floss and some heat...
Old 12-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #37

Garage

Once you go 'clean' you may never go back!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #38

Garage
jongorges, you've got a PM from the Netherlands!!
Very nice job. looks very good....

I would like to receive the template if it's possible....
Frans44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans44 View Post
jongorges, you've got a PM from the Netherlands!!
Very nice job. looks very good....

I would like to receive the template if it's possible....
PM sent!

Can't believe all the requests so far. If you guys could send me a name, address, and specify boxster base or boxster s, that would be great!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #40
jakesbox

Quote:
PM sent!

Can't believe all the requests so far. If you guys could send me a name, address, and specify boxster base or boxster s, that would be great!
You should have received my payment and hopefully you were able to send them out!