Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

I joined the club!

Well guys, I joined the club. Its all done except the paperwork.
Im the new owner of a 99 silver on red Boxster. I love the color combo and if its good enough for James Dean its good enough for me.
My first mod when I have some money is the m-030 sport suspension.

The car is at Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR. Now I just have to find a shipper to get it from there to Chicago. If anyone knows of a reasonable shipper please let me know.

Here is a link to pics.
1999 Porsche Boxster Arctic Silver Metallic | Beaverton, Oregon | Sunset Porsche

evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

4.5 years in my 02, installed the m030 and 15mm spacers in August, total transformation!
psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

Congrats. You'll love the car.

It might be worth to fly over and drive it home rather than paying ~700-1200 for shipping. I think the weather is still nice from Portland to Chicago.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
jakesbox

I second that. Get a flight and drive that thing! Its what the weekends are for!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

Guys, I thought about driving the car home but its about 30 hours driving time Portland to Chicago, figure 3 days on the road, meals, hotels, and that's a lot of driving in a car I don't know very well.
Wouldn't it suck if I had to post on here "stranded, someone come get me!" LOL
I don't know, I haven't decided for sure.
The plane ticket is abt 330, 2 nights in a hotel, figure 65/night, 450 bucks in gas and figure 75 bucks for meals.
Driving cost is about 985 bucks assuming no BS happens on the road.

Ill see what shipping costs and go from there.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Wouldn't it suck if I had to post on here "stranded, someone come get me!"
Someone from this Forum WOULD come and get you. Its that kind of place.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Someone from this Forum WOULD come and get you. Its that kind of place.
I know. That's the vibe I get. Good bunch of guys here.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Well guys, I joined the club. Its all done except the paperwork.
Im the new owner of a 99 silver on red Boxster. I love the color combo and if its good enough for James Dean its good enough for me.
My first mod when I have some money is the m-030 sport suspension.

The car is at Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR. Now I just have to find a shipper to get it from there to Chicago. If anyone knows of a reasonable shipper please let me know.

Here is a link to pics.
1999 Porsche Boxster Arctic Silver Metallic | Beaverton, Oregon | Sunset Porsche
Congrats! Another silver boxster in chicago

Where in the city are you located?
peterek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Driving it is a great way to get to know the car! I picked mine up in California and drove it back to Montreal. Guess it depends on whether you like road trips or not, and how much time you can afford. If you're on the interstate, it's probably not worth the effort. But if you have time for some detours, well that's more like it!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

Drive it home!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterek View Post
Congrats! Another silver boxster in chicago

Where in the city are you located?
Im actually in Downers Grove!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Driving it is a great way to get to know the car! I picked mine up in California and drove it back to Montreal. Guess it depends on whether you like road trips or not, and how much time you can afford. If you're on the interstate, it's probably not worth the effort. But if you have time for some detours, well that's more like it!
I actually have some time, but short on funds.
Working on a car is a great way to get to know it too, but not on the side of a highway between Portland and Chicago. lol

If the car breaks down near my home I can park it for awhile if I cant pay to fix it right away, but if Im 2k miles out and something happens, Im over a barrel.
That's my biggest concern.
Weather is secondary concern.
Driving is fun though.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:
I actually have some time, but short on funds.
Working on a car is a great way to get to know it too, but not on the side of a highway between Portland and Chicago. lol

If the car breaks down near my home I can park it for awhile if I cant pay to fix it right away, but if Im 2k miles out and something happens, Im over a barrel.
That's my biggest concern.
Weather is secondary concern.
Driving is fun though.
A real shame that a helpful place like this would make you afraid to drive a near perfect Boxster home 2k miles.

It should be set to take you almost anywhere in the US of A, without even a hiccup for quite a while.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #14

Congrats on the purchase!

We either have the time and no $, or vice versa, have the $ and no time. I was the latter and had to have one of my cars shipped recently. But if you do have the time--->TAKE A CHANCE, that is what life is all about! Enjoy!

You will think back and say to yourself, "Gee whiz, those 986 guys were right in making me drive it home!"
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #15

Garage
Congrats! I love that color combination, I came close to getting one in that combination. Ah yes, the old time and money problem. I bought mine in Atlanta and drove it back to Texas. We took some back roads and detours and had a great time! This is one of those things that you will regret if you don't do it! Take a look at this thread from a forum member in Milwaukee. He went out to the west coast and back! http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46676-road-trip.html

Get AAA and if you have a problem, like another member already mentioned, someone here will help you. You only live once
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
jakesbox

Talking

My 03 was local to me so my drive home was 15 miles. My 02 was in ATL which is 6 hours away (longer if you are NOT driving a Porsche ). I flew up on a saturday and drove the car home. SITE UNSEEN (except pics). Matter of fact I had to pick it up at a dealer in ATL because the day before, the seller was cleaning the car, put the top down and the window decided to quit!

That was the most fun in a car I ever had. I told my wife to keep her phone near by in case I broke down and I had my AAA card with me as well...backpack full of water and essentials and a big ass grin on my face. My route after Atlanta was very long and straight and not much around...but you could not have paid me to trailer that one home... You can always route your trip to make sure you are going through places where some of us 986 owners are.

It shouldnt take you 30 hours...more like 25 as I guarantee your foot will be on that gas pedal!!!

Good for you regardless of how you get it there...just enjoy it!:dance:
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
My 03 was local to me so my drive home was 15 miles. My 02 was in ATL which is 6 hours away (longer if you are NOT driving a Porsche ). I flew up on a saturday and drove the car home. SITE UNSEEN (except pics). Matter of fact I had to pick it up at a dealer in ATL because the day before, the seller was cleaning the car, put the top down and the window decided to quit!

That was the most fun in a car I ever had. I told my wife to keep her phone near by in case I broke down and I had my AAA card with me as well...backpack full of water and essentials and a big ass grin on my face. My route after Atlanta was very long and straight and not much around...but you could not have paid me to trailer that one home... You can always route your trip to make sure you are going through places where some of us 986 owners are.

It shouldnt take you 30 hours...more like 25 as I guarantee your foot will be on that gas pedal!!!

Good for you regardless of how you get it there...just enjoy it!:dance:
Ha, I hear you guys, Id love to drive it, but a 6 hour drive isn't so bad.
I drove my Elise from Chicago to Vegas and back and that was the best trip of my life but that was done in the spring. And with a new car. And I made a lot more money, which helps in emergencies. lol.
Im kinda leaning towards driving it, but that's a long ass drive.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #18

I flew up to PA and bought mine and drove it back down to NC, and I have driven it from NC to FL and back several times (and now live in FL). It is a lot of fun to drive
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #19

Garage
+1 on taking the trip and driving it home. Do a good pre trip inspection and have fun!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #20

Congrats! Mine's the same color. Great minds think alike.

'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote