Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

top protector

Looking for a little help on the installation of this part.

The car is new to me and this was found laying in the bay for the convertible top. It appears intact and web searches identify it as a protector of sorts but i'm baffled. There is a plastic clip on it that may connect to the soft top and two straps that fit somewhere. If anyone can shed some light, it would be appreciated

Cheers!

Uncle Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

That looks like the shroud that goes under the rear window. you have to lower the top partially into the service position so that the clam shell exposes the area under the soft top.

you should download "101 Projects For Your Porsche Boxster" in the Google Play Store online for your PC or tablet / smartphone. A must have for this car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-04-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

Yup, that's what it is but where does it connect?

I'm not sure how to install it and have not found any info or pics anywheres other than a vague image from a parts diagram like below. I believe it's item 10

Would anyone know if the long plastic clip attaches to the roof frame and if so, where do the straps attach? Or should i just toss the thing in a corner and not worry about it. I frankly don't know what it's purpose is...
Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #4

I'm trying to remember back a few years to when I replaced my top, but I think the top edge of that piece tucks in to the same groove that holds the back bottom edge of the top, and is held in place with a rubber seal. The bottom edge clips in to hooks on the rear wall of the compartment that the top folds down in to. Don't worry too much about the straps. The clips broke on mine and I have found no downside to them not being attached. If you do want to attached them, they clip to some hard to reach place up under the top mechanism. you'll probably see where they go once you get the rest in place.

If you look at some pics connected to instructions about putting the top into service mode you should be able to see how it basically all fits together. Unfortunately, it's a bit too cold here for me to try putting the car into service mode to check this for you otherwise I would give you some pics.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #5

The top edge is held at the back of the top by the wide plastic bow that goes all along the back of the top. It looks like the bow is held on by a couple of screws at each end.

The sides of the bottom are held here (left side shown):

The long plastic piece at the back pushes up into a clip at either end at the back of the top cavity. The intention is that water run off of it into the foam catch trays.

Note the routing of the two top hold-down cables thru a loop on each side (left side shown):

Last edited by clickman; 11-05-2013 at 06:06 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #6

Many thanks!

Greatly appreciated guys!

This was the info i was looking for. I really appreciate the effort you took to give me the great detail. I had looked at one youtube vid but it showed clips that i don't appear to have. It looks like it was just left in the car by the previous owner and since i bought the car off a lot, there was no chance for quizzing the po.

Mark_T, i can relate to the cold as i'm cursing the November winds here in New Broomstick. It's gonna be a long winter waiting to get this toy out again as i've only owned it for a month or so.

Again, thanks for the effort guys. I owe you one! If you're ever out this way, i might be able to show you a couple roads to play on.

Cheers Lads!

Last edited by Uncle Brad; 11-05-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
pjq

Uncle Brad,... southern new brunswick, canada? if so were neighbours.
The snow hasn't flown yet, the highways are in great shape so we can still run these little demons.
I'm trying to make up for lost time, i just put my car back on the road Sept 17. I'll keep driving until the snow flies or end of Nov.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #8

pjg...check yer inbox, pm sent.

Cheers!