Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #21

Mine came with the defroster wire included from auto tops direct. The socket is already there and you just plug in in.

brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian325is View Post
Wow!

I would like to meet the man that can do a Boxster top in less than 3 hours and only charged $300.

I must admit the second time around would be easier, but I still wouldn't want to do another one!
his name is Dave. He owns a home based shop, called M D trim shop in canton, Michigan.
he is doing this as a side, he works in National Parts Depot doing lots of muscle cars interior and tops.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #23

My plastic window was spotless until it similarly succumbed to below freezing incident. I was hesistant to go with the M1 Tank field of vision with a glass unit so I had the plastic window replaced for $400. Not the smartest move looking back as the money would have been better spent goiing towards the replacement top but my canvas was in excellent shape.

But to all the plastic window owners, don't clear ice/or snow from it with any force. And certainly don't use an ice-scraper. I managed a hairline crack simply sliding a piece of ice off the plastic to quickly. At freezing temps it can break easily. Best thing is to pour hot water over it. And if you want to lower the top below 60 degrees warm up the cabin after driving for about 10 minutes first. Don't drive off on a cold day with the top down from a cold start. You'll wreck the plastic. Greater visibility requires a bit more care with these tops.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphan View Post
Where are you located. I replaced mine with glass last year.
Found an installer who works for a hot rod shop and he charged me $300 to remove the old one and install the top. He said it was one of the easiest top he ever worked on. He got it done in less than 3 hours (removal and install the new one).
I got my top from Robbins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian325is View Post
Wow!

I would like to meet the man that can do a Boxster top in less than 3 hours and only charged $300.

I must admit the second time around would be easier, but I still wouldn't want to do another one!
I met another Boxster owner at a coin-operated car wash who said the same.
Piece of cake once you know what you're doing. He even offered to help me with mine, as in for free. Which made me think that it couldn't be very time consuming if a total stranger, however helpful, was willing to do another. I checked out the operation and fit of his new top and it looked 100% factory tight.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I will need a new top soon as well, I am getting a small hole on the driver's side and the window is in rough shape. I highly recommend placing fleece in the plastic window when you chop it, and if you take it to a mechanic insist that they replace the fleece. Unfortunately, mine did not and I went almost a year before I noticed, causing lots of scratches to the plastic while under the hardtop.

Can anyone comment on the difference between the rear visibility of the plastic vs glass on pre-03 (3 bow) tops?

I know it is narrower, but I am curious to hear some opinions after people have driven with it for a while. Does it decrease visibility in any direction, or is it just narrower?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #26

Garage
Yes the window is narrower but the visibility is so much better than the hazy plastic! I highly recommend going with a glass replacement.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #27

I installed mine on my 2000 base a while ago, Gahh top with glass window.
It is worth every penny, my insurance paid 1700, so you are getting a good deal.
They also installed defroster, it can be done, the shop didn't even mentioned that it couldn't be installed.

Engine access is a bit harder and you have to get used to smaller window however the car looks way better with new top, it's quieter, and I can drop the top at any any temperature

I say go for it, you won't regret it

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #28

Just finished my first top install....on a 2004 350Z Roadsterwe acquired back in late July! I hadn't planned to do the top right away but as we drove the car and exercised the top, it started to develop holes and tears too big to ignore.

It took me a couple of days but was very straight forward. Removal time for old top was about 2-3 hours. Install took about 6 or 7. If I was doing another, I'd estimate 1.5 hours to remove and about 4 to install.

The top had 18 rivets to drill out and replace other than that, top was screws and double sided tape. Some tugging was required but nothing that ever made me question the top or my install. The top looks nice and tight and I'm pleased with the result.

My 2000 Boxster S is next but I may wait a week or two...
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #29

Glass window is on! The problems with visibility are overstated, imo. You can easily see headlights. Only thing that's cut off is the top of taller vehicles. And if your plastic window was as clouded as mine was, it's like going from a 1940s tv the the newest HD flatscreen.

New issue though: A few hooks on the interior lining without places to hook onto. I read the below thread from renntech and vaguely understand what's supposed to happen, but I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has mended this.

I've got the car in service mode, I see the bar under the B-pillar, but am not sure which way to thread the hook and elastic. Anybody have more in depth step-by-step or better pictures than the renntech one? Conv Roof Interior elastic band with hook - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

Glass window is difficult to get around. Right now it's sorta just laying flat, adjacent to the roll bar. Pedro says fold the glass over the convertible top, but that seems easier said than done and the picture isn't helping me. Accessing the Engine
eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #30

Ok I figured out the hooks. Took a lot of time, but hopefully now they will stay in place.

I mentioned earlier that the glass was laying flat next to the rollbar. Well, I'm pretty sure the edge of the glass put a few paint chips in my roll bar. Anybody else have this happen? Maybe it was my novice in dealing with the glass in service position, but I am so frustrated by this.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #31

I'm thinking of replacing my top with another plastic window top - do you know if the low temp brittleness is an issue from new - or just worsens with age. In other words if I replace with another plastic window am I at risk for breaks from day one ?
willatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #32
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willatr View Post
I'm thinking of replacing my top with another plastic window top - do you know if the low temp brittleness is an issue from new - or just worsens with age. In other words if I replace with another plastic window am I at risk for breaks from day one ?
Yes. The plastic window is always at risk below 40F and gets more brittle with age.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Yes. The plastic window is always at risk below 40F and gets more brittle with age.
My plastic window on a 2002S cracked at a temp just below 60. Glass replacement has not been a problem even in the 40's.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
My plastic window on a 2002S cracked at a temp just below 60. Glass replacement has not been a problem even in the 40's.
Same. Although mine was not cared for properly when I purchased so I knew I would be replacing it for safety and aesthetic reasons. It had to be around 60F when it cracked.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #35

My rear window is coming unstitched, and it has the beginning of crack in it. Now I'm trying to decide on a hard top/zeintop, replacing the plastic window, or replacing the whole top with one that has a glass window. I had two questions.

1. Does the hard top or a Zeintop require removal of the soft top or is that just left in it's normal folded position when the top is on? I'm thinking of putting the hard top on, and removing the soft top and repairing it at my leisure this winter.

2. Does the 4 bow frame have a larger window than the 3 bow, and will it fit on a 2000 S? Technically that might be 3 questions.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #36
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The hard top goes on over the soft top in the down position. The four bow frame top has a larger window. Not sure about the Zeintop.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #37
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
OEM Hardtop goes over the convertible top. Make sure to place some fleece or similar on the window, if you are folding it for an extended period, especially if it is plastic.

The Zeintop requires you to remove the convertible top and the clamshell.

The 4 bow does have a larger window, in terms of height, almost the same width. It will fit, but finding a 4 bow top at a reasonable price and in your color is very difficult. I think you may have to change the motors as well on some earlier years, but don't quote me on that.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #38

Garage
Replaced my 99 top in 2013 because the plastic cracked in about 6 places within 2 months of the first sign of a problem. I went with the GAHH top with glass window.
They also installed the defroster wire.

Very happy!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #39

Garage
i have a glass rear window with defroster as well and really enjoy it! Highly recommend!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
I'd also look into getting a complete top with frame off of a 03-04 car. It's a cinch to pull the entire thing off and reinstall with a helper.
This is the route I took. A tad more money but IMHO, worth it.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote