Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #1

Time for a new top. Asking a few questions.

So the temperature drop claimed my plastic window this weekend (only 52 degrees F though?). Now I'm in the market for a glass window. I'm looking at GAHH. Here's where I'm at:

Got quoted $1250 for top and labor. The other shop I called said they don't do Boxsters, but said the first guy is the best "top guy" in town. Sound like a good deal?

German A5 vs. Sonnendeck: Which one should I go for? Seems like the difference is A5 is supposed to keep out noise. Also, I didn't clarify at the time, but I'm assuming the quote I got is for the Sonnendeck since that with the A5 would be too much of a steal in labor. Will try to clarify later.

Glass top: I hear it makes getting to the engine a lot more difficult. Is it worth it? Will it add to my labor costs in the future?

Defroster: the installer said on my 2000 model the defroster cannot be connected. That makes sense, but I thought I read somewhere that the defroster actually can be retrofitted? Can it be activated through the rear view defrosters?

Color: Factory top was indigo/blueish on ocean blue metallic. I like the look, but do y'all have any other recommendations? I think black would look good (interior is black on blue) but it's also much more common (although cheapest option). Other colors?

Is GAHH where I should go or should I look at other suppliers?

Thanks for your input.

eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli cash View Post
So the temperature drop claimed my plastic window this weekend (only 52 degrees F though?). Now I'm in the market for a glass window. I'm looking at GAHH. Here's where I'm at:

Got quoted $1250 for top and labor. The other shop I called said they don't do Boxsters, but said the first guy is the best "top guy" in town. Sound like a good deal?

German A5 vs. Sonnendeck: Which one should I go for? Seems like the difference is A5 is supposed to keep out noise. Also, I didn't clarify at the time, but I'm assuming the quote I got is for the Sonnendeck since that with the A5 would be too much of a steal in labor. Will try to clarify later.

Glass top: I hear it makes getting to the engine a lot more difficult. Is it worth it? Will it add to my labor costs in the future?

Defroster: the installer said on my 2000 model the defroster cannot be connected. That makes sense, but I thought I read somewhere that the defroster actually can be retrofitted? Can it be activated through the rear view defrosters?

Color: Factory top was indigo/blueish on ocean blue metallic. I like the look, but do y'all have any other recommendations? I think black would look good (interior is black on blue) but it's also much more common (although cheapest option). Other colors?

Is GAHH where I should go or should I look at other suppliers?

Thanks for your input.
I have had both glass and plastic and getting to the engine is no different.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

It's interesting that you should say that because virtually everyone that has put a glass replacement top on a 3-bow frame has commented on increased difficulty accessing the engine. This is why peeps commonly look for a 4-bow frame from an 03 or 04 car when they want to replace the plastic window with glass.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

That would be because Trimer lists his car as an 03

The glass window on a 2000 does limit access to the engine somewhat but it is still very manageable

It also has a much smaller rear window for viewing in the rearview mirror

That seems like a great price
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
I have a Gahh top with glass window and German A5 material and love it. Mine was around $1500 installed and I would never go back to a lame plastic window again. The glass does make it slightly more challenging to get into the engine bay but sheesh... the minor inconvenience once a year is outweighed 100 fold by the magnificent clear glass window that no longer requires a Boxster chop each time you open your top. I say go for it!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian325is View Post
That would be because Trimer lists his car as an 03

The glass window on a 2000 does limit access to the engine somewhat but it is still very manageable

It also has a much smaller rear window for viewing in the rearview mirror

That seems like a great price
I learn something everyday on this site. 3 bow or 4 bow...was not even aware that the tops would be different. my last box was an 02 with the plastic and for what it is worth, I also would have given up a little when putting into service mode to have the glass window on the 02 as well. never needed changed but hands down the glass window is fantastic.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #7

I'm messing with both kinds on two different Boxsters ('98 and '00). The glass top is superior and IMHO makes the car look newer.

Engine access is a little tougher with the glass window but certainly not a show stopper.
1. For normal access to top of engine, connect a bungee or some sort of strap from front of unlatched top to the rear bow and you can keep the glass window up and out of the way without fighting it.
2. If engine work requires prolonged access to the top of the motor, remove entire top assembly and set it out of the way. Top assembly can be removed in about 30 minutes. Install always take me a bit longer as I always seem to 'have fun' getting the first bolt on each side lined up and started.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #8

Garage
I got my top off of eBay from Auto Tops Direct. Lots of discussion here that GAHH owns ATD. I couldn't see a difference and I am very happy with the glass! It is sooooo nice not to have to chop the plastic one! I bought the Blue, very nice. I paid $559 shipped for the top and $500 for the labor to install. The same shop that did the install sells GAHH and the quote for it was $1500 installed. They had never done an ATD but once they saw it, they also couldn't see the difference.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #9

Defroster

Your 2000 has all the wiring for the defroster installed. It is there for the hardtop option. You would just need to source a cable to go from glass to plug behind drivers seat.
jrj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj3rd View Post
Your 2000 has all the wiring for the defroster installed. It is there for the hardtop option. You would just need to source a cable to go from glass to plug behind drivers seat.
The top should include the defroster cable, plug and play!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #11

I just installed a new top with the glass window in my 02 by myself. I purchased it directly from Autotopsdirect. It was an 8 hour job to install with about 4 hours of assistance from a "helper." The end result looks great and I have gotten a lot of compliments. As others have said, the glass window does interfere somewhat with the engine access but that is a small price to pay for the clarity of the glass.

Initially I noticed the similarities between this top and the GAHH top. I called GAHH and asked them about the 2 tops and what the differences were between them. The woman I spoke with told me that they are in fact the same tops. Needless to say I ordered the top from Autotopsdirect.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #12

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to install the top yourself? If it's just a matter of time and endurance, I think I'd be fine. But if it required some skill or ability, I think I'd be out of luck.

My main reason for wanting to have it professionally installed is that they are responsible and I know it will (should) look great and work perfectly. If I install, I could mess it up beyond fix.

The Autotopsdirect pricing, though, has me bargain minded again. Not sure what to do.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #13

Right now, I'm in the process of installing a top (ebay) on my wife's '04 350Z. I'm in the middle of it now and feel that the effort to install will be about the same as the Boxster.

So far, no real issues with the install. I had to stop as I managed to buy the wrong size rivets.

After the 350Z, my 2000S will be next. I've already purchased the top and will get after in in the next few weeks.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #14

It's definitely a challenge, and it really helps to have an assistant. There are lot of bits and pieces so I would suggest taking lots of pictures as you do the disassembly in case you forget how parts of it go back together. You get one shot at the stages requiring contact cement.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #15
DIY extremist

I'd also look into getting a complete top with frame off of a 03-04 car. It's a cinch to pull the entire thing off and reinstall with a helper.

I had a top installed on my old 986 by the PO, and it never looked right fit wise. If you get one put on, be a stickler and send it back for readjustment if it doesn't look 100% factory tight when they're done.

I had glass rear window on my 2000, and it was more difficult than it should've been to get under to do maintenance. I was able to do waterpump, air filter, clutch, IMSB, and top transmission with it on though. I realized, however, that it was super easy to unbolt and lift off after those jobs and did that for future work.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli cash View Post
Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to install the top yourself? If it's just a matter of time and endurance, I think I'd be fine. But if it required some skill or ability, I think I'd be out of luck.

My main reason for wanting to have it professionally installed is that they are responsible and I know it will (should) look great and work perfectly. If I install, I could mess it up beyond fix.

The Autotopsdirect pricing, though, has me bargain minded again. Not sure what to do.
Where are you located. I replaced mine with glass last year.
Found an installer who works for a hot rod shop and he charged me $300 to remove the old one and install the top. He said it was one of the easiest top he ever worked on. He got it done in less than 3 hours (removal and install the new one).
I got my top from Robbins.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #17

Wow!

I would like to meet the man that can do a Boxster top in less than 3 hours and only charged $300.

I must admit the second time around would be easier, but I still wouldn't want to do another one!
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #18

I ordered it today and explained to her about the defroster plug. I think it's a very good price considering. I will update with any info and hopefully some pics in a few weeks. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #19

Garage
Which one did you order?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Which one did you order?
GAHH A5 in black.