Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Baby got new...stuff

So, my 2003S just came back from the shop. She was a low mileage queen when I got it about 2 years ago (21k miles). Original owner put 1-2 k miles per year. Second owner put about 10k on in a year or so. I've put on about 20k miles since I've owned it.

A rear wheel bearing went bad on my last long trip. When I took it in, the indy mech (well regarded import shop here in Maine) noticed slight (old) weepage signs on the water pump and the front motor mount just beginning to go.

So I bit the bullet and decided to do a major "service".

1) Rear wheel bearing (one side only)
2) Motor mount - the rubber was ok but starting to pull away from the metal in two locations, probably could have gone longer.
3) Water pump - blades intact, bearing tight. Signs of old leakage but couldn't tell from where. exposed edges of vanes worn. Mech said there was some wear visible in the housing.
4) Thermostat - just because I had a few bucks left
5) LNE IMS bearing -old bearing had no grease in it. Both seals were intact. Mech removed one seal, and some old looking oil was in there. Bearing seemed fine. No roughness, no play. There was a little seepage around the carrier.
6) RMS - because, old one was fine
7) Clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing - all were still good,

I'm done with things for now.

Above is posted for the information of any interested parties.

Cheers

How much? A lot!

dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #2

Did they check the rear axle boots, they're usually torn at high mileage and need servicing (~2 hours).
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
2004 Boxster S

I know that feeling, just did a list of "stuff"

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/48504-wyit-epic-preventative-maintenance-write-up-w-pics.html
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmairspotter View Post
So, my 2003S just came back from the shop. She was a low mileage queen when I got it about 2 years ago (21k miles). Original owner put 1-2 k miles per year. Second owner put about 10k on in a year or so. I've put on about 20k miles since I've owned it.

A rear wheel bearing went bad on my last long trip. When I took it in, the indy mech (well regarded import shop here in Maine) noticed slight (old) weepage signs on the water pump and the front motor mount just beginning to go.

So I bit the bullet and decided to do a major "service".

1) Rear wheel bearing (one side only)
2) Motor mount - the rubber was ok but starting to pull away from the metal in two locations, probably could have gone longer.
3) Water pump - blades intact, bearing tight. Signs of old leakage but couldn't tell from where. exposed edges of vanes worn. Mech said there was some wear visible in the housing.
4) Thermostat - just because I had a few bucks left
5) LNE IMS bearing -old bearing had no grease in it. Both seals were intact. Mech removed one seal, and some old looking oil was in there. Bearing seemed fine. No roughness, no play. There was a little seepage around the carrier.
6) RMS - because, old one was fine
7) Clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing - all were still good,

I'm done with things for now.

Above is posted for the information of any interested parties.

Cheers

How much? A lot!

Write the check, drink a beer and get over having anything done you may be second guessing yourself for. Now drive it and enjoy the heck out of it without worrying.

As an aside, my cousin purchased a used Boxster a dozen or so years ago, unsure of mileage but I know he drives the thing quite a bit and has only performed routine maintenance / oil changes since buying it. He has never had an issue with it, he could not discern the IMS from the IRS and has no interest. I often wonder who's smarter.............
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

I wish I was like your cousin, but the IMS was just hanging out there in the back of my mind.

Now it's not. I will continue to rack up the miles with a big a$$ grin on my face,
Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
jakesbox

Just a question and comment. Doesnt the RMS seal automatically get changed when doing the IMS. I mean its a 10 dollar part that has to come out anyway.

Also - AND I AM NOT TRYING TO START A WAR OR BE RUDE IN ANY WAY, but I always crack up when I see the word Indy on this board - it is always followed by (reputable shop - been in business X amount of years and I trust them). Almost like you're worried no one will believe they are good!

I do it all the time too! Dont know why that strikes me as funny but it does.

Anyway...- curious about the RMS. I did my IMS and the RMS was a normal part to replace. I always thought?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

The RMS (rear main seal) is seated around the crankshaft and has nothing to do with the IMS which is another componant altogether.
Its a moot point that if the RMS is not leaking, don't replace it, but the other school of thought is that the latest (teflon?) seals are superior to the earlier variety. So - to change or not to change - thats up to you......
Old 10-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
The RMS (rear main seal) is seated around the crankshaft and has nothing to do with the IMS which is another componant altogether.
Its a moot point that if the RMS is not leaking, don't replace it, but the other school of thought is that the latest (teflon?) seals are superior to the earlier variety. So - to change or not to change - thats up to you......
Good to know! I was always under the opposite impression that it was a must change. I have the new dangled NASA patented, kid tested mother approved rms seal with my IMS upgrade a month ago. Hope it keeps the leaks away!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #9

Yeah, the RMS and IMSB are unrelated. They had done all the labor to get in there, so I asked them to do it while they were. Same with the clutch components. They all had some life left. I was thinking of doing the IMSB over the winter for my peace of mind and since the car was going to be laid up for a while with the rear wheel bearing I decided to bite the bullet and get the whole job done.

It cost significant money, but I am fortunate to be able to afford it. The P car is a very nice object, and I like to treat it well.

As far as the indy shop thing a few comments. They did no work I did not specifically ask them to do. I trust them to be competent. If they had brought something else to my attention, I would have probably had them do it too. I mentioned they were indy as a point of interest only, as in not the dealer. As far as adding the reputable shop part, there are indys and there are indys. Taking your car to Jake Raby (for instance) is quite different than taking your car Jiffy Lube, I though it might be of interest to anyone reading the thread where the work was done. Glad it brought you amusement. I didn't post the name because I didn't know if it was allowed on the forum.

If anyone wants to talk with me about the shop, PM me and I'll get back to you.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #10

I'm going to have the same thing done next week on my 2003S at Callas Rennsport in Torrance, CA...

They will put the LNE IMS bearing in and replace the RMS. They have a 'special' going on for $1975 to do the IMS. I'm not sure how special this is.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmairspotter View Post
Yeah, the RMS and IMSB are unrelated. They had done all the labor to get in there, so I asked them to do it while they were. Same with the clutch components. They all had some life left. I was thinking of doing the IMSB over the winter for my peace of mind and since the car was going to be laid up for a while with the rear wheel bearing I decided to bite the bullet and get the whole job done.

It cost significant money, but I am fortunate to be able to afford it. The P car is a very nice object, and I like to treat it well.

As far as the indy shop thing a few comments. They did no work I did not specifically ask them to do. I trust them to be competent. If they had brought something else to my attention, I would have probably had them do it too. I mentioned they were indy as a point of interest only, as in not the dealer. As far as adding the reputable shop part, there are indys and there are indys. Taking your car to Jake Raby (for instance) is quite different than taking your car Jiffy Lube, I though it might be of interest to anyone reading the thread where the work was done. Glad it brought you amusement. I didn't post the name because I didn't know if it was allowed on the forum.

If anyone wants to talk with me about the shop, PM me and I'll get back to you.
Which is why if you read my post I said not trying to be rude. I do it too. if you go back and look at my posts, I say the same thing. Wasnt a knock on you man...I find it funny when I say it or anyone else who does.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #12

good idea to do both sides of the rear bearings IMO.

The labor is the expensive part of that job and if one side has gone ... I know as I'm just about to replace both rear next week. Only one side gone as well.

otherwise sounds like you have all bases covered .... enjoy!!
FLAT64EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #13

Yeah, I thought about doing both sides but there didn't seem to be any labor overlap so I figured I'd just wait. The bad one gave me many miles of warning, so I'm not worried about being stranded somewhere.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
I'm going to have the same thing done next week on my 2003S at Callas Rennsport in Torrance, CA...

They will put the LNE IMS bearing in and replace the RMS. They have a 'special' going on for $1975 to do the IMS. I'm not sure how special this is.
I'm from the area and recently got a quote from Dutch Treats and they quoted me $2500. Yours sounds like a good deal to me.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
Vista glass

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post

That is a fair price for the work and a bargain for the peace of mind.

Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote