View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
coreseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmairspotter View Post
So, my 2003S just came back from the shop. She was a low mileage queen when I got it about 2 years ago (21k miles). Original owner put 1-2 k miles per year. Second owner put about 10k on in a year or so. I've put on about 20k miles since I've owned it.

A rear wheel bearing went bad on my last long trip. When I took it in, the indy mech (well regarded import shop here in Maine) noticed slight (old) weepage signs on the water pump and the front motor mount just beginning to go.

So I bit the bullet and decided to do a major "service".

1) Rear wheel bearing (one side only)
2) Motor mount - the rubber was ok but starting to pull away from the metal in two locations, probably could have gone longer.
3) Water pump - blades intact, bearing tight. Signs of old leakage but couldn't tell from where. exposed edges of vanes worn. Mech said there was some wear visible in the housing.
4) Thermostat - just because I had a few bucks left
5) LNE IMS bearing -old bearing had no grease in it. Both seals were intact. Mech removed one seal, and some old looking oil was in there. Bearing seemed fine. No roughness, no play. There was a little seepage around the carrier.
6) RMS - because, old one was fine
7) Clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing - all were still good,

I'm done with things for now.

Above is posted for the information of any interested parties.

Cheers

How much? A lot!

Write the check, drink a beer and get over having anything done you may be second guessing yourself for. Now drive it and enjoy the heck out of it without worrying.

As an aside, my cousin purchased a used Boxster a dozen or so years ago, unsure of mileage but I know he drives the thing quite a bit and has only performed routine maintenance / oil changes since buying it. He has never had an issue with it, he could not discern the IMS from the IRS and has no interest. I often wonder who's smarter.............
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote