Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #1

Screw spins when closing the panel cover after changing my cabin air filter

I just changed my cabin air filter. Used a T25 torx driver, screw came out with no problem, got the plastic cover off, replaced the filter, but when I went to screw back in the T25 screw it felt like it pushed something out the bottom of the hole, and now it seems like there are no threads. It just spins.

I am not sure how to get under there to see, and the plastic cover feels pretty secure even without this screw (slotted at the front and under the side of the battery cover) so I just left it out for now, but I would like to replace it at some point.

Has anybody ever had this? Or gotten under there and put the backing piece back on that has the threads?

Thanks,

Steve

Edit:
http://dcauto.gotdns.com:4000/illustration/index/170020884

It is the screw right by the number 4. From looking at all the related screws on this assembly, it looks like they all have a clip on the back. I guess you are supposed to unscrew them partway and then rotate the plastic cover out of the way and back...

Last edited by steved0x; 09-16-2013 at 06:56 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #2

If your talking about the torx screw, there's a well nut behind there that it screws into. That's what you pushed out the bottom. I used one from my motorcycle spare parts and it worked fine. I can't remember where the access was, but I remember it was easy to get to.

Google
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

Garage
Steve,
The part you are missing is #13 in the diagram. There is one on each side.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #4

Thanks everybody. When I got home tonight I looked in the Bentley manual and it said only to loosen the screw... The 101 Projects doesn't say that... I'll know for next time, and someday I'll dig in and find the access to replace the backing nut.

Thanks,

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

The nut - part number 999 500 092 00 - costs a buck or two. It sits in the hole. When the trox screw gets screwed in, it compresses the rubber nut so that the screw and the nut cannot pull out of the hole.

Worth purchasing two replacements from the local dealer or one of the on-line dealers.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Worth purchasing two replacements from the local dealer or one of the on-line dealers.
That's what I did. Along with some blue, white, and pink inserts. Then I bought a few spares for the engine cover, the wheel wells, the under car covers, etc. Seems everytime you work on the car you find a missing screw, snap rivit, etc. so having spares just makes your life a little easier since the same parts get used in all sorts of places.