Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
2000 Boxster S

Garage
Wheeler Dealers TV Show

Who saw last night's episode of Wheeler Dealers? It featured a 986 Boxster S! I enjoyed watching them fix the car.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #2

I saw it twice on the web a month ago then watched it again last night on Velocity channel and DVR it too, just can't get enough of it
Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I watched it last night - great show!

I did think that it was strange that the owner of the Box S didn't at least take the car to a shop and pay a few hundred pounds for a Tip service before he sold it for so cheap. Made me wonder if it was a little bit scripted.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #4

I also watched it. A lot of it was probably scripted. That car was a mess. They don't tell you how much time it took to detail it at the end. I did like the seats after they were redone though. I am surprised the top was not ruined after sitting stationary outside for 4 years. I just wish Ed was my Indi.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

Uh, huh, fake. And they never factor in the labor hours that go into the cars, just the parts. Wouldn't be so profitable after that.

But that mechanic really has some skills!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I watched it last night - great show!

I did think that it was strange that the owner of the Box S didn't at least take the car to a shop and pay a few hundred pounds for a Tip service before he sold it for so cheap. Made me wonder if it was a little bit scripted.
Definitely scripted in my opinion. In fact, wasn't that Bruce Willis acting as the seller ?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

They never gave mileage or MY. Must have been high mileage, as they sold it for $10,240 for a S model with some new parts. I'm guessing that if they really did sell it for that, it must of had 150k miles or more.
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
haz

Suprises me that people point out that shows like these are scripted. It's TV guys.
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
Suprises me that people point out that shows like these are scripted. It's TV guys.
Ditto, Mike's acting when he rolls into the garage to check on Ed's progress is laughable, probably meant to be so.

Entertaining show but the lack of factoring in labor negates 95% plus of any "profit" from any of the episodes I've seen. Judging by the mold and grime visible on the few shots they showed of that Boxster's top and interior it had to take quite a bit of time / effort to clean it up, they never totally got the black paint finish looking right around the trunk script either. Gotta admit though, that car was looking good when they were finished.

Some of the 911 guys met Mike when he was in Dubai filming his "Trading Up" series. Apparently Mike went to a 911 get together over there while searching for his "Super Car", they said he was simply a very high energy guy and was actually like his character on the show even when the cameras were not rolling. In general they thought he was a heckuva nice guy.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
haz

Wheeler Dealers Porsche Boxster October 2012 - iPhone 5 Test Video 1080p - YouTube
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #11

Although its TV and therefor scripted this is the best of all the car restoration shows. They actually do a really good job of fixing up the cars to a very high standard without lots of shouting an bleeped out swearing of many other shows. Your right about not factoring in the labour, they replaced the chassis on a Morgan (very old fashioned British sports car with a wooden body on metal chassis - still in production!!) it took hundreds of hours and then had to sell it in the trade because they couldn't get retail money for it.

They really did buy the Boxster for £1000 (or at least that's what the script said) and advertised on Boxa.net in the uk for a project car. The guy basically gave it away as he could have got 3 or 4 times that amount all day.

I don't know what its like over there but second-hand stuff hear has very little value as everybody wants new and credit is easy to get (despite the economic situation). To give you an idea I can easily buy a genuine low miles for year (less than 70K) MY03 for less than £5K and an absolute immaculate 1 or 2 owner car for under £6K. But Porsche did sell a shed-load of 986's and that does reflect in the prices - people will pay for rare cars.

WD is required watching in our house and there is another series out soon and they are doing a Lamborghini.

This vid is quite fun - in a British kind of way Wheelers Dealers Spoof / Parody - YouTube
topradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #12

Read the comments by the poster of the Youtube video above (he was the next door neighbor of the guy that "sold" the Boxster.)

" WD came and picked up the Boxster around 4 weeks before the filming day, when they first took it, it was a non runner, they brought it back to film the purchase.... "

This is so disappointing. I think I’ll stick to real stuff like Pawn Stars……….

surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote