Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #41

The part number is 996106 447 04 (the original was the same except the last two digits were 00). Available from Pelican, Suncoast, etc., etc.

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
We pressure test them every time a car comes into the shop; if they don't hold until 18.2 PSIG, they go in the trash. Never tried to develop an "average life expectancy", as it seems to be all over the map. If you can't pressure test, I would replace it at least every two years.
That seems to be my luck with the caps, have always had that condensation so I've ordered yet another "04" cap.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #43

2000 Boxster S 82,000 miles with original cap and no problems.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #44
haz

Many responses here are "milage" and "no problems".

Isn't a coolant cap replacement, before a problem appers, the whole point? As a preventive action?

I ordered this one:
PORSCHE 911 BOXSTER CAYMAN COOLANT EXPANSION TANK CAP | eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
So what is the latest and greatest cap I should be ordering? Anyone with a link?
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
My coolant cap from my indy shop is blue and says Germany on it. However there are no numbers on it. It could be made in China for all I know!?
I also got my -04 cap like this from a respected indy. The tag on the bag looks genuine, so hopefully it's ok. The missing part number could be an annoyance down the road...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #46

Cap, coolant tank, and sensor replaced at 128000 km. No condensation or leaking issues at that time.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
Many responses here are "milage" and "no problems".

Isn't a coolant cap replacement, before a problem appers, the whole point? As a preventive action?
Well my problem was that each time the cap needed to be taken off to flush the coolant, replace either the coolant tank or water pump, all things you must be doing if you want your head to keep from cracking, the result was that the old cap could not keep a tight seal and air was coming in. This is potentially big big problem if left ignored.
Each time I immediately brought my car back to shop to get the air out but for whatever reason we didn't consider the cap to be the culprit and figured it was that the system hadn't been burped correctly. A bad guess since we were using vacuum fill so air couldn't have gotten in....unless the cap was bad.

So people who are on the original cap with no issues are probably also people who have never replaced their water pump (a potential problem) or people who have never flushed their coolant (a problem if factory coolant has been mixed with generic coolant) or someone who still has the original coolant tank (which often crack because the old cap lets air in after a flush). In other words if your going to take care of your engine properly this must include replacing the coolant cap every time you flush the coolant or replace the water pump. If you do none of these things maybe you'll be lucky. You should also replace your hoses when you do the water pump for the first time.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3m View Post
Here's a pic of the latest coolant cap. I replaced mine last month after I noticed a slight drop in coolant level.

Interesting. My -04 cap looks nothing like that...

Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #49

Could be a VW cap ? I'd replace it asap.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #50

Not VW. See my post above, where I show the bag with the correct Porsche part number. And I bought it from a well-respected indy. And apparently I'm not the only one with one like this...
Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #51

Garage
I agree with ekam. Maybe you picked up the wrong one. Got mine from the dealer recently and it's identical to the top one pictured.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #52

Garage

This is what my packaging looks like. Similar but not exact.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Not VW. See my post above, where I show the bag with the correct Porsche part number. And I bought it from a well-respected indy. And apparently I'm not the only one with one like this...
Either way, get the OEM one direct from the dealer - order from Suncoast or Sunset, both ships to Canada.

After reading this thread I think I'm going to pickup the 04 cap tomorrow just to be safe... I noticed there's condensation around the cap area recently. (I have 03 cap and it's around 2-3 years old.)

Last edited by ekam; 08-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #54

Garage
Changed mine in May. My coolant level was getting low (around the 'min' mark). Wasn't any sign of residue around the cap area and it was dry under the carpet. Since the cap change and top-off the level has stayed just below the full mark.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #55

78k with 02 base original cap...looks like I will be switching caps soon.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
I also got my -04 cap like this from a respected indy. The tag on the bag looks genuine, so hopefully it's ok. The missing part number could be an annoyance down the road...

I have the same. No part number on the cap. Weird. My indy strongly favors using OEM whenever possible. Maybe this is new VW takeover stuff...
suppliers are not being directed to follow part numbering protocol strictly. But that meshy thing on one and not the other seems weirder.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-22-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #57
jakesbox

OK - so another dumb question. If you replace just the cap. Say I order one, it shows up, I take the old cap off, put the new one on (i just checked and mine ends in 01 so it must be an original), am I going to have a problem with air getting into the system by just changing the cap???
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #58

Garage
I'd just make sure that the engine is cold, say after it's sat over night you'll be fine. Unless you've been having to add coolant recently which might have introduced air into the system.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
OK - so another dumb question. If you replace just the cap. Say I order one, it shows up, I take the old cap off, put the new one on (i just checked and mine ends in 01 so it must be an original), am I going to have a problem with air getting into the system by just changing the cap???
Since this car is new to you I have a general rule when it comes to anything coolant system related:

Don't guess. Have the professional check everything out. You can't kid around with this part of the car.

The cap is cheap but plays a critical role. In my opinion, the latest cap should be part of the PPI, as well as replacing the coolant tank. Coolant should be flushed at some interval, people debate how often, but once you decide to do this you have to make sure it's been done right by previous owners.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #60

I will post pics later but I found white residue outside of my 03 cap. Will post pics later.