Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
jakesbox

surgery update

All is going well - they are extracting the IMS now and while in there they checked over all the clutch, etc and only are recommending the throw out bearing replaced at this point. Clutch looks fantastic and has minimal wear on it and good to go. Tires are pretty bad at this point so going to do that again (did the hankooks on my last box and loved them but they stopped making my rear tire size and if I blow one out might not be able to get another to match).

So oncce the bearing is pulled he is going to give me another update but said car is tip top!

Fingers crossed we see no issues!

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #2

How many miles on that clutch?

Have you ever run Mich. Pilot Sports on your Boxster? I'm wondering how the Hankooks compare to the PS2 or other tires you've run.

I have a set of PS2. I'm wondering if there are better performing tires for the same or less money of the PS2.

From what I've read, many have switched from the PS2 to another tire, only to be disappointed.

I'm always looking for improvement. :>)
OHBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
All is going well - they are extracting the IMS now and while in there they checked over all the clutch, etc and only are recommending the throw out bearing replaced at this point. Clutch looks fantastic and has minimal wear on it and good to go. Tires are pretty bad at this point so going to do that again (did the hankooks on my last box and loved them but they stopped making my rear tire size and if I blow one out might not be able to get another to match).

So oncce the bearing is pulled he is going to give me another update but said car is tip top!

Fingers crossed we see no issues!
thanks for the update. Keep us posted
Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #4

keep us updated! as for me, I'm not replacing tires until next spring... only 2 -3 months to winter now...
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBoxsterS View Post
I have a set of PS2. I'm wondering if there are better performing tires for the same or less money of the PS2.

From what I've read, many have switched from the PS2 to another tire, only to be disappointed.

It all depends.

The PS2 is hard to beat for a near-perfect balance of dry grip, wet grip, good handling, quiet ride, and acceptable tread wear.

However, if you're looking for maximum dry grip and handling, then there are other tires that offer more grip and better cornering for less money than PS2's (Hankook R-S3, Kumho Ectsa XS, etc).

But to get that max dry grip you'll have to sacrifice some wet grip, tolerate some increase in road noise, and accept a reduction in tread life.

Some owners are comfortable/happy with these trade-offs and some are not. The ones who were unhappy or switched back to PS2's were probably also unaware of the real life tradeoff's that had to be made to get the extra dry performance. It just depends on what is important to you in a tire.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-06-2013 at 11:31 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
jakesbox

if this shows up twice I apologize.

The car has whatever came factory which I believe is the michelins but cant be sure. they are in bad shape but original to car. I really liked the hankook ventis v12s on my last box and sad I cant have those again. I am thinking toyo this time around as I dont want to spend a million bucks. the car doesnt see rain and no snow here in Florida and it is all straight line driving...no hills, not a lot of fun roads here come to think of it!

I am having my P mechanic install a new AOS while he is in there for the hell of it as it wont cost me but a hundred bucks and he also saw some moisture around the oil filler tube at the bottom so for another small cost they are going to replace that now. Along with throw out bearing...

Clutch and car only have 18000 miles on them and the last owner is an older guy who did NOT track the car but was religious about maintaining it. to the point that I actually have 20 receipts just for Brumos Porsche to wash and detail the car!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
How many miles on that clutch?

Have you ever run Mich. Pilot Sports on your Boxster? I'm wondering how the Hankooks compare to the PS2 or other tires you've run.

I've run over 55,000 miles (3 sets) with the PS2's. Excellent tires. But I'm switching to the Super Sports. Just as good or even better, with a slightly lower cost.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #8

trimer,

Sounding good so far. Any up-date....?

Guys,

thanks for the tire info. :>)
OHBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #9

As another poster indicated, it all depends on what's important to you when selecting a tire.

I went for comfort, quite and longevity. I got Bridgestone RE760 Sports for the second time when I bought a new set about three months ago and I am quite happy with them. The 970AS are also a good choice and last even longer.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
jakesbox

Quote:
trimer,

Sounding good so far. Any up-date....?

Guys,

thanks for the tire info. :>)
Yep - so i have put about 40 miles on it since last night. AOS was in good shape prior but had it done since they were already in there. Top oil filler tybe was in bad shape with oil and crap all over it so that was a good 50 bucks spent for the newe one. Throw out bearing done while they were in there but the clutch and all components were in great shape with a lot of life left so no need to do anything there. IMS was done and I have the old one. It is in perfect condition Amazing how small that little part is to create such havoc in all of our Boxster lives! New one went in with no issue.

Total cost for all of this and then a thorough look at the rest of componenets was 2588 out the door. And - he gave me a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. If that IMS explodes, I am covered. I think that is unheard of but I might be wrong. These guys just love the P cars. Side note - went to pick up the car, walked in and the was a 928 GTS 1995 sitting in the shop, a 930 Slant nose, a 996, two 987's and a 914. They all walk around with a big smile!

The PO split the cost so I dont have too much out of pocket (1250 for all this!!!) which is nice to discuss with my financial planner...I mean my wife. Therefore, dropped the car off this morning for new tires and an alignment using the same machine and read outs that the P Dealer uses but for half the cost. Same group did my 02 and couldnt be more happy with results of the alignment and print out.

So - 40 miles, no CEL's, no leaks, temp (per previous threads) has stayed consistent right before the 0 and it was about 95 degrees on the way home. Clutch and everything still work as they did when I dropped it off and that was a concern of mine. All other systems the owner of the shop said look in great condition and he will see me back in 5K miles. My passenger side window actuator is starting to fail. the window does not go down enough when you open the door - it is off by about a quarter inch - just enough to catch the window. he said the cable has some slack and it will need replaced but the window is still working and we can do that next time. BUT - i have to be careful to make sure the window goes down enough when opening or shutting doors or I will damage or break the glass. good time to use the key in the door maneuver to drop the window when needed. But - not many people ride in the car with me...My wife likes to drive it so I know what to do when I get in passenger seat!

So looks like all is well. 2588 (1250 for me) for all that - I am feeling really good. new tires and alignment today.

Next up - powder coating wheels in gunmetal grey (need to find center caps to match) and then gunmetal grey porsche logos down the side. As well, next major purchase is going to be a fabspeed exhaust. Did it last time on my 02 and absolutely could not get enough of that sound. But all of this will be on hold for a bit...need to recoupe my "fun savings account"!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #11

Sounds like you can drive her with confidence now. That window regulator can easily be fixed without removing it from the door if you want to take on a very minor repair on your own. See this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable.html
Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Sounds like you can drive her with confidence now. That window regulator can easily be fixed without removing it from the door if you want to take on a very minor repair on your own. See this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable.html
that is a great fix. how do you know how much to adjust the cable when you put it in there?

I just bought a brake cable to use to stick down through the drain holes so I think that part is on the other end!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #13

Next up - powder coating wheels in gunmetal grey

Next up - powder coating wheels in gunmetal grey (need to find center caps to match)

I also went gunmetal powder coat on my carrera light wheels as this color is great for hiding brake dust. As my center caps were plastic (with the raised colored logo) powder coating these were not an option. Fortunately the powder coating shop did have rattle cans of matching paint for some of the powder coating colors (including gunmetal) so this made changing the center cap color easy.

BTW My driver side window just recently started doing the same as you described. I tried Dave.S's solution and it seem to fix the problem. However a few days later and it is acting up again.and I am not sure what to do next. Add more tension or dig deeper into the window track system to see if there is another problem?

Ken
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Next up - powder coating wheels in gunmetal grey (need to find center caps to match)

I also went gunmetal powder coat on my carrera light wheels as this color is great for hiding brake dust. As my center caps were plastic (with the raised colored logo) powder coating these were not an option. Fortunately the powder coating shop did have rattle cans of matching paint for some of the powder coating colors (including gunmetal) so this made changing the center cap color easy.

BTW My driver side window just recently started doing the same as you described. I tried Dave.S's solution and it seem to fix the problem. However a few days later and it is acting up again.and I am not sure what to do next. Add more tension or dig deeper into the window track system to see if there is another problem?

Ken
What an easy fix though. I look forward to seeing if it works. I don't want to spend 600 bucks!