Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I left it down once...just once. Never again. Spiteful people suck.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #22

Garage
I've never had a problem with the top down while parking. I just don't do it overnight or in unsavory areas. I HAVE had a problem on the toll road while driving and some Ford truck driver toss his spittoon contents out the window at 75mph limit...seriously - wth????
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I left it down once...just once. Never again. Spiteful people suck.
I had a lot of problems with jerks in my then new 350Z (back in 03). First, many people thought it was a Porsche - even with the giant Nissan logo front and rear. (What kind of Porsche is that? was the most common question I received). Then I'd park way out in a parking lot only to come out of a store with two ancient beat up cars on both sides of me....many slots away from any other car. They just did it to be jerks.
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #24
flybird

Garage
Always top up and locked. And someone talked about the nasty birds dropping bombs, ya Im always cleaning up after them.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #25

If I'm just running into a store I'll keep the top down. If away from the car longer I'll put the top up, but that's usually because otherwise the black interior just gets too hot.

As far as locking it...never. What's the point? If someone wants something from inside my car I'd rather them open the door to get it versus cutting the top.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #26

Garage
No, I may have the worse luck but used to leave my windows down and somehow a bird crapped in my back deck carpet.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #27

I will leave it down for short runs into a store (or a restaurant, if I can see where it is parked), but make sure that I have the little red clip in place (which by the way, is still available very cheaply from Pelican). This activates the interior motion sensors if your car was equipped with the optional alarm system. And frankly, removing bird crap from the cloth top is probably worse than from the interior surfaces, especially if you wipe if off quickly. I always carry some clean microfibre cloths and wet wipes in the car, although blessedly, have not had to use them yet on the interior.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #28

Garage
Always leave it down. Once it's warm out the top only goes up if there is a down poor. With the top down I can't see anything inside the car that someone would want. With the top up I worry about people cutting the top or the back window. To me that would be the bigger headache. Steal the seats? Man I'm glad I don't live where you are. That thought never crossed my mind. lol It would be easier to pull off a nice muffler lol Then top up or down won't matter much.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #29

Garage
Always put it back up. Not because of crime but because the weather here is so extreme and harsh. The wind howls constantly and stirs up lots of dirt and debris. Just easier to keep interior clean by putting the top up all the time.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #30

Garage
When is a restaurant or bar etc., I usually put the to up. But not for fear of thieves.

1) I live in Central Florida. We get sudden rain. Suddenly here, suddenly gone.

2) As so many have stated, no bird poo in my car please.

If it is a quick trip, Circle K, Subway, gas...Leave it down.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #31

So this red clip. I see what it does.

But with the motion sensors active and hood down,
How susceptible is it to false
alarms?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #32

Two days into Boxster ownership, I watched some young thug stray off from his group of friends and pull my door handle. Called the Police and he ended up going to jail for warrants.

Depending on where the car is parked, I've been leaving my top down with windows up providing I won't be away from the car for an extended time. I'd hate to see the top mechanism break prematurely because I'm always using it unnecessarily.

At the end of the day, I've owned Porsches long enough to understand there is always an element of risk involved. They're a magnet for attention good or bad, and it's just part of ownership.

Last edited by black_falcon; 07-08-2013 at 10:39 AM.
black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #33

tomc88, as you seem to have deduced, the little red clip snaps into the spot on top of the windhshield frame where the microswitch is located for determining whether the top is open or closed. It depresses the microswitch and fools the car (and therefore the alarm/immobilizer) into thinking that the top is shut. False alarms - I suppose if a bird flew in the interior, although that is pretty unlikely, especially if the windows are up (and I always leave them up). Certainly I have never had one. Yes, it will activate if someone reaches in or throws something into the interior (and it should), but that is no different than if someone tried to yank on the door handle to get in a car with the top up.

As I see it, if someone wants to damage your car, it is pretty easy to key it, slash the top, etc., etc. I really don't see any increased risk of damage unless, as has been pointed out, it starts to rain. If there is any risk, I close the top. In addition, if you are going to be away from the car for more than an hour or so, I always close the top just to reduce the impact of the sun's rays.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #34

I only leave the top down if I can see the it otherwise, not a chance!
Porsche_Padowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #35

Garage
If during the day and short period top down, if after sundown top down.

But no way with the Texas sun do I leave it down while away for more than 15 minutes, never had any issues with people as where I live most cars around me are of more value.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #36

top down makes it easier to steal your headlights. If you live in an area where Porsches are common, theives know HID/Litronics can fetch big money and are simple plug and play parts.
There was a rash of Litronic thefts in So Cal a few years back... a place where lots of people leave their tops down. use the clip.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #37

I rarely leave my top down. Usually only if I can see the car. As for the red clip, don't rely on it. On my 99, you can put your hand in the car, wave it around, and maybe about 10~15 seconds the alarm will sound. I've also had it sound in a mild wind when it detected the placard I had hanging from the mirror spin in the breeze. Go figure.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
top down makes it easier to steal your headlights.
How so? (HOPEFULLY not a stupid question!)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
How so? (HOPEFULLY not a stupid question!)
Reach in, open the door to access frunk lever, pop the frunk, rip the carpet from the sides, slide the headlight removal tool in hole, slide them out, and gone.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #40

Yeah, but the trunk (frunk) release lever is electronic...in mine (a 2001) anyway. I can't really say I've physically tested this, but when you lock the car, isn't the manual lever-controlled trunk (frunk) release disabled??

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote