Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #21

My '99 did 14.8 secs at the local strip several weeks ago. That was the best of 10 runs. Not very fast, but a lot of fun! Can't wait to go back.

bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #22
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW02S View Post
….A 997 TT with PDK is another story.
Or find me a track/road with some turns…then, the race is on! Besides, why limit your fun to a ¼ mile?

We used to run endurance racing on sport bikes at 165+mph - that was the best 3 hours of my life! Could not image a few seconds could replace that much fun! Besides, driver skill comes into play more on a longer race - (sorry NASCAR fans) one with more than just left-handed turns!

…but we can give it a go!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #23

Imho

I can't imagine burning up your clutch to see how slow the Box is in the quarter mile. The car is designed for the twisties, not the quarter mile.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #24

To all those that think that one must destroy the clutch or abuse the car to drag race: not necessarily.

I ran my Boxster at the track last week as I said. No burnout. No revving and dropping clutch. Just an "aggressive" take-off, quick shifts, and hold on!

Could I run quicker if I put slicks on and dropped the clutch. Definitely. If I didn't have 1 3/4 degrees of rear camber, would it take off quicker, of course. Even though my car is not setup to take advantage of this type of racing, I ran very respectable times. I was keeping up with modified V8 Mustangs even though I would destroy them in a race with curves. 13.5 with driver error on my part is not slow for a street car. This car will see 12's with only a few minor mods that I am working on.

A drag strip can be a fun way of data logging also, as I can never pull to over 100 mph uninterrupted on regular streets. With the 3.2L engine, I learned that acceleration rates really decreased after 6400 rpm in each gear. This 3.4L pulls higher than that. A lot can be learned by studying MAF signals, etc.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
13.5 @ 106 was done last week at the track (with a 1.9 60' and missing the shift to 3rd gear the first attempt).

I am running through the data logging and I estimate that delay cost 3/10's, so a low 13 second run will probably happen next time out.

As driven to the track, not even tire pressure changes or a burnout. Full weight car with the 3.4L.

1.9 to 60ft is pretty good!

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote