Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #1

About to make the jump - help needed!

Hello Everyone!

I've been doing research on the Boxster for about 2 months now - it's always been a dream car for me. While conducting my research I learned about the rear main seal leak, and it scares me. I already own a 325xi, which is under warranty; I'm not a fool and I expect any luxury sports car to cost extra when it comes to maintenance. However it seems that the Boxsters are perhaps more trouble prone? (I certainly hope not, because I would really love to make the jump).

I'm looking at a 2000 Boxster S that's local (was originally an Orlando lease vehicle). I've inspected the car, and its mint, inside and out. It has 47000 miles on it, but looks babied. The dealership will take 25K for the car Wednesday. (I'm a little rushed for time here). The car has steptonic, the hifi audio, 18 inch wheels, and p zero's with about 85% tread left. The Boxster also has the original stamped floor mats, which look very clean, again pushing the point that the car was well taken care of. According to Carfax the vehicle is clean as possible and has a good maintenance record.

Upon my inspection I found that the car was not using Mobile 1 synthetic, but the oil was topped off and clean. Perhaps this is not a big concern as I caught the car on the day it arrived - prior to the dealership doing a full oil change.

I’ve spent about 15 hours looking through this and other forums, so I’m not just looking for answers without putting in any work myself. I’m fairly good when it comes to mechanics, and my father is an excellent mechanic albeit he isn’t a Porsche expert (Old school Vette’s).

I’m just looking for general feedback. I know the car is a great performer, but would you be worried buying an 00 with near 50K on it? What about the main seal leak… how bad were the issues for the 00 model year?

Any help would be truly appreciated!

jbiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #2

I would have the car inspected by a Porsche Dealership (not the selling dealer if applicable). Makes sure the dealer uses a paint meter to check for paint work of any kind.

This step is CRITICAL in my mind.

Otherwise, I think you have done your homework.

Good luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #3

Pay to have a full PPI (pre purchase inspection) done before you buy it to make sure there are no hidden problems. If they can do an oil analysis too, it will tell you if there are any internal engine problems. Whatever you do, don't run into a quick purchase and skip the PPI. It may be ok, but you're taking a big chance.

Check the maintenance records for the oil change intervals. If the PO was not using Mobil 1, then they should have been changing the oil much more frequently than the 15k mile interval in the schedule. You should have it changed to the Porsche recommended 0W40 Mobil 1 asap if you buy it, then change it again after about 5k miles to make sure all of the regular oil is gone.

If it's doesn't have an rms leak at 47K miles, I don't think you'll have a problem. A PPI will definitely expose any rms problems. The problem usually shows up early and is difficult to fix if you have it because it's a crankshaft centering problem more than the rms itself. Our MY '00 has 72K miles on it with no rms leak to be found.

I hope it turns out great for you! You'll definitely love owning a Boxster!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #4

I would suggest getting the extended warranty in case of RMS leak in the future despite getting a clean PPI. Everything will worn at some point and RMS is probably the first thing on the engine that will go. Not sure how much it will cost for the warranty, maybe around $2000.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the info guys - appreciate the fast response.

Here are some details I forgot to add in my original post:

The dealer will deliver the car to the local Porsche dealership for a full inspection prior to the sale - any issues will be fixed at the dealer's cost.

The oil was changed every 4-7K miles.

There are of course no visual leaks, but I've yet to have the car up on a lift - I plan to be at the PPI.

As far as aftermarket warranties, who do you recommend? I have zero experience when it comes to them so info would be great.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #6

I think the mileage is too high. There are allot of lower mileage Boxsters but stick to at least a 2000 and newer. Definitely stick with an S if you can afford to.
Keep looking there are some big price fluctuations when it comes to used Boxsters.

Never buy a car in a rush.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:51 AM   #7
fab

If/when you decide to buy a boxster I would recoomed the "new" Bentley Porsche service manual. I just recieved mine from amazon.com. A must have for boxster owners.
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #8

Picked up my MY 00 Base from Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena where they did the 250 point inspection and placed the Porsch Pre Owned factory warranty on it.

Does yours come with the pre cert warranty? if not ask them to place it, costs the dealer much less than you buying seperate ins.

My car now has 70K miles with no leaks or RMS issues. Never seen the puff of smoke at startup and burns absolutly no oil between 15k oil changes!

Good luck.

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #9

"Does yours come with the pre cert warranty? if not ask them to place it, costs the dealer much less than you buying seperate ins."

Not much is a relative term of course. It costs the Porsche Dealer $1500 out of pocket to buy the warranty AND they incur the cost of inspecting the car and bringing it up to Porsche spec.

That latter part can be very expensive indeed, as Porsche spec for the extended warranty is a high bar indeed. Perhaps new tires, brakes etc.

Assume that for the average Porsche, the overall average cost is about $2500-3000, which is about in line for many aftermarket warranties.

However, the Porsche EW is the better deal for the buyer.

All the above means that most dealers will not "sell" you the Porsche extended warranty for $1500. Moreover, depending on the car's age and miles, it may not qualify anyway!

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:05 AM   #10

Hi Bruce, where have I seen you before???

The Pre Cert as I understand it is 6 years or 100k miles from first in service or sale.

He could just say "If you throw that in, we have a deal" type of leverage. Maybe there is room to pro rate at the dealer side? Just to get that 3 month peace of mind thingie.

Regards

Old 01-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbennett
Hi Bruce, where have I seen you before???

The Pre Cert as I understand it is 6 years or 100k miles from first in service or sale.

He could just say "If you throw that in, we have a deal" type of leverage. Maybe there is room to pro rate at the dealer side? Just to get that 3 month peace of mind thingie.

Regards
I would ALWAYS suggest asking for everything and anything. The worst the dealer can say is, NO.

I just wanted to give a more complete picture of what it really costs the dealer to pre-cert the car, which IS a great warranty.

In the end, if you don't ask, you will never get!

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #12

Alright so I went to the dealership today... took the car for a drive, was very happy.

Walked into the show room with a blank check and walked out 24K less rich . (I'm not rich, just a hard worker)

I really appreciate the help you guys provided and I hope to become a happy Porsche owner for years to come.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
bmussatti

jbiloh, congrats, post some pictures ASAP!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #14

Congrats, Much good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #15

If ya got it for 24K, ya did well pal!!!!!!

Good luck and post pics! You at least owe us that

Regards

Old 01-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #16

Congrats!! Hope you have many years of Boxster joy ahead of you! :dance:

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote