View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
deliriousga

Pay to have a full PPI (pre purchase inspection) done before you buy it to make sure there are no hidden problems. If they can do an oil analysis too, it will tell you if there are any internal engine problems. Whatever you do, don't run into a quick purchase and skip the PPI. It may be ok, but you're taking a big chance.

Check the maintenance records for the oil change intervals. If the PO was not using Mobil 1, then they should have been changing the oil much more frequently than the 15k mile interval in the schedule. You should have it changed to the Porsche recommended 0W40 Mobil 1 asap if you buy it, then change it again after about 5k miles to make sure all of the regular oil is gone.

If it's doesn't have an rms leak at 47K miles, I don't think you'll have a problem. A PPI will definitely expose any rms problems. The problem usually shows up early and is difficult to fix if you have it because it's a crankshaft centering problem more than the rms itself. Our MY '00 has 72K miles on it with no rms leak to be found.

I hope it turns out great for you! You'll definitely love owning a Boxster!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote