Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Daily Driver Help!

Hi all, I am in a bit of pickle: I recently got a new job that require a lot of driving (at least 50-80 miles a day mostly through out eastern MA). So far,I've been driving my boxster which has been fun with the weather getting nice. But of course I don't wanna keep doing it; don't wanna add crazy miles on it. So, I'm in a the market for a daily driver. i wanna spend 5-7k cash. I'm posting to see if you y'all can help me narrow down my list because it's kind of ridiculous right now. i started with the wrx and mini cooper s, but have since looked at saabs, volvos, Audi's a4, g35x, and even honda civics and jettas. i really wanna a wrx because of the awd and practicality, but finding a decent one that has not been heavily modified or has 150k miles is like finding a needle in haystack. i actually considered trading in my boxster for a newer WRX but i change my mind every time i get behind the wheel of my boxster. Don't think I can live w/out the Thrill! lol So, decided to just get a second car: My main three concerns are 1) I want something that is still fun to drive (stick shift is fine); 2) I want reliability and not too expensive to maintain; and 3) mpg in the 20s hopefully. Please Help!

19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #2

Garage
MK3 golf that's what I daily
aclark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

since you mentioned it, what's MK3? what does it stand for? Can you explain the different volkswagen model? the golf v jetta? gti? etc. I only know the R32. Thanks by the way.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVstarBoxster View Post
since you mentioned it, what's MK3? what does it stand for? Can you explain the different volkswagen model? the golf v jetta? gti? etc. I only know the R32. Thanks by the way.
Mk3 Golf/Jetta, sold in North America 1993-1999
Mk4 Golf/Jetta, 1999.5-2005
Mk5 Jetta 2005.5-2010
Mk5 Rabbit (Golf) 2006-2010 (North America)
GTI is a trimline of the Golf (like an S model, sort of), while the GLI is a similar trim to the Jetta.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Keep the 7k and save it to put down on a lower miles Boxster in a few years and enjoy your daily commute in your Boxster.

You bought it for the fun of driving so why not get that joy daily...how much is that worth?

I look forward to my morning and evening drive every day.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #6

That's not a bad idea, any car you can buy for 5-7K is going to have some issues. Especially the ones you list, which aren't low priced econo-cars.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #7

Why are you east coasters afraid to put a little mileage on your cars?
50- 80 miles commute is nothing, that's only a little less than 12-20k a year.
I'd put the 7k in the bank and save it for emergencies.
Otherwise sell the boxster and buy something newer that makes you feel more comfortable in winter months.

Last edited by Skrapmot; 06-22-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #8

I'm agreeing with the peeps suggesting that you just use and enjoy the Boxster. It's not as if you're preserving its value by keeping the miles off it.

I run two vehicles, but it's a winter-summer thing. By mid-winter I wouldn't be able to get the Boxster out of the back alley, thanks to the less-than-stellar snow plowing efforts by the unionized DF'ers working for our city. My other vehicle is a Mazda B4000 truck. Don't know how I'd get by without it. I frequently have large objects and yard waste to move, and the 4WD is sure nice to have in the winter, given the situation with the aforementioned puppy makers.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #9

Thanks for the input everyone! i'm in similar position as mark (better yet even worst). My car has a body kit and wheels (i know ... my stupid move in the first place lol). it's barely pratical for a daily drive to the office and back... now that i have travel all over MA, i just don't see how i can drive it everywhere. Case in point, i cracked the bottom of my front lip in a pothole in Boston. Getting into most parking lots is nearly impossible because of the high ramps. Let's not even begin discussing the winter months with snow driving. So, it's either second car or byebye boxster (letting go of it would be a heart break, but i've done it in the past - had to sell beloved m3 a few years ago).
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled

Last edited by CVstarBoxster; 06-22-2013 at 06:30 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #10

what other option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
That's not a bad idea, any car you can buy for 5-7K is going to have some issues. Especially the ones you list, which aren't low priced econo-cars.
Steve, which low priced econo-car do u suggest?
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #11

Garage
I highly recommend a Mini Cooper S. However, with only 5-7k to spend, you'd be lucky to get a set of fronts seats for that.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #12

I'm not sure I have any recommendations, though my wife's RSX S has been great (the ride's a bit choppy). I haven't been in the market for many years. I think the main point was that you will be able to get a car in better condition if you look for one that had a low initial sticker price.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Damn Yankee

Garage
It reads that you have your heart set on a WRX. If you can't locate a suitable one, you may want to consider any of the other AWD Subarus. They're great cars to have during a New England winter.

As a DD/commuter car, the Honda Civic is also very good. The later wedge types can be had at a reasonable price. 100K mile examples are almost considered to be new. If you get one, resolve any issues immediately, and the car will perform flawlessly with minimum maintenance. Oil and filter changes, tire rotation, etc. Just the basic stuff. After that, they're like hair dryers. When you want use it, just turn it on, and it works. Plus the gas mileage is super. 35-40 MPG easily.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #14

CVstarBoxster I guess having the kit on there makes you twice as likely to scrape on ramps? I scraped my bumper on a ramp once when I first got my car and I was not happy.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #15

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Marty S
I would steer clear of the Cooper...Don't get me wrong, it is a great car and a lot of fun to drive. However, once you get outside the factory maintenance the car is a fortune to maintain.

Driving that many miles go with any VW with a diesel.
Marty S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I highly recommend a Mini Cooper S. However, with only 5-7k to spend, you'd be lucky to get a set of fronts seats for that.
I'll second the Mini Cooper S! My 2002 has been very reliable. And as Johnny knows, chicks dig Danger Yellow.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #17

Ok I commute INTO Boston everyday from out past Worcester. I currently do it in an '03 new Beetle Convertible. When you say all over eastern Ma, where exactly are you talking? Up and down 95/128 or 93 all day? I've done the pike for 20 years. I did it for 5 years in a 914, 5 years in a 944, 2 in a 951. I switched over to a Jetta for commuting until I totaled it and bought the bug. Not near as fun as any of the Porsche's. But more comfortable and gas friendly when sitting in our lovely MASS-hole traffic. Think about the type of driving you'll be doing.
Duquette5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'll second the Mini Cooper S! My 2002 has been very reliable. And as Johnny knows, chicks dig Danger Yellow.
Between the Danger Yellow, and TH's good looks, it's a formula for fatal attractions.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
CVstarBoxster I guess having the kit on there makes you twice as likely to scrape on ramps? I scraped my bumper on a ramp once when I first got my car and I was not happy.
Yep! And i'm pretty good at going sideways to climb in and out. But sometimes it's impossible. and it's very incovenient.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
how many miles on your cooper? Believe it or not i've seen many 02-03s going for around 6-7k with around 100k miles (more or less). is yours under warranty? how is the maintenance?

19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled