Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

More IMS

More IMS thoughts, I came from a different industry but oddly enough I had 35 years experience with the precision bearing that porsche uses in their cars. I find the failure rate very similar in the area that I worked in and Porsche to be the same.

Three things caused the bearings to fail, one; bad installation during the manufacturer of the product. I have a feeling that engines that were build outside of Germany are sub standard. Bearing that could of been damaged in installation would of accounted for the early engine failures of 10,000 miles.

Two; Breakdown of the seals that allow the contamination of the lifetime grease. At this point it only a matter of time before you have
chunks of your IMS bearing swimming in the oil.

Three; Over stress of the bearing, I,E, an over rev from a bad down shift causes huge stress on all engine components of your Porsche. Automatics don't have miss shifts, and I feel that this is why you see less ims failures in this type of car.

What to do, in my case I will change the bearing on my Porsche Boxster every 40,000 miles with a new Intermediate Shaft Bearing (IMS) . This is not crazy, it's a high end sports car, Ferrari's of the same year have their timing belts changed every 30,000 and that runs about $12,000.00.
Which bearing to use, I only trust three Intermediate Shaft Bearings for Porsche, Jakes aluminum Babbitt bearing, the L.N. bearing and the Pelican parts bearing. They all have enough testing to be trusted with way lower failure rate than Porsche.

porsche boxster ims bearing repair install 986 diy tutorial Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS) Step by Step Replacement Guide - MIKE'S SPECIALTY AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE****Specializing in Porsche, IMS bearing installation, basic repairs

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

That's an interesting take on non-German engine builds. I'm not sure if any of the actual engines were built in Finland, but from what I've read over the years the Finnish workers who put together the Valmet builds are by and large better educated and trained than their German counterparts. And from my understanding the Valmet builds have been some of the most reliable Porsches built in the water-cooled era.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-23-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #3

I'm with perfectlap on this one - Valmet production cars were, in the opinion of many, superior to their German counterparts. In any event, I have seen nothing to suggest that the failure rates were higher in cars assembled there (and that, of course, is assuming that the engines were assembled in Finland and not merely installed there).

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

It does make you wonder with all the different suppliers if there was not bad apple in the supply chain that was messing up with the bearings.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

I have found several references saying that all of the Boxster engines were built in Germany and shipped to Finland for installation into the chassis but I haven't found an official statement... yet.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-25-2013 at 02:02 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I have found several references saying that all of the Boxster engines were built in Germany and shipped to Finland for installation into the chassis but I haven't found an official statement... yet.
Yeah, think there's almost no chance engines were built in Finland.