Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duquette5 View Post
Ok I commute INTO Boston everyday from out past Worcester. I currently do it in an '03 new Beetle Convertible. When you say all over eastern Ma, where exactly are you talking? Up and down 95/128 or 93 all day? I've done the pike for 20 years. I did it for 5 years in a 914, 5 years in a 944, 2 in a 951. I switched over to a Jetta for commuting until I totaled it and bought the bug. Not near as fun as any of the Porsche's. But more comfortable and gas friendly when sitting in our lovely MASS-hole traffic. Think about the type of driving you'll be doing.
i live in Boston and my office is Copley. I have been to courts in Worcester, New Bedford, Framingham, Salem, Woburn and others... may go as far as springfield... so mainly 93, 95 and Pike.

19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled

Last edited by CVstarBoxster; 06-22-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Mk3 Golf/Jetta, sold in North America 1993-1999
Mk4 Golf/Jetta, 1999.5-2005
Mk5 Jetta 2005.5-2010
Mk5 Rabbit (Golf) 2006-2010 (North America)
GTI is a trimline of the Golf (like an S model, sort of), while the GLI is a similar trim to the Jetta.
He knows his vws
aclark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #23

Garage
I feel ya. I'm taking a new job starting in July. My POS truck will not make the 45 mile commute so the Boxster will become my daily driver starting next week. I'm not looking forward to putting 100 miles a day on my car that previously only saw about 3-4k miles a year, but I'm kind of out of options.

Luckily, in December, I'll be purchasing my father's Chrysler 300 so hopefully, I won't have to worry about salt. (Please hold off Chicago winter!) Also I think I have just enough tire left to get me to December and I'll still have under 100k on the odometer. Barely.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #24

I think the Acura EL is the ultimate commuter car- if, low cost and comfort are your needs. There's a lot of cars I'd rather drive but they all cost a lot more to buy and run. To me there's important and unimportant miles. I drive the Porsche for those that count most.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Lover of all things bacon

My other car is a MINI - love that car and it always makes me smile when I drive it.

Since you are in MA, go talk to Pete at Greasy's Garage in Worcester. This is the guy in NE for MINIs. In fact, he has just fixed one up and will be selling it soon.

The best year for MINIs is '06 - last year for the R53. The new R56 model engines just suck. Since I bought my '05 I have been slowly modding it from 180HP up to over 200. Maintenance is not bad, especially when compared to Porsche, and again, Pete is the guy when you need to get it fixed.

PM me if you have any questions on MINIs. I can give you some good hints.

Also, check out Mass Motoring club website as well. Great group of guys.

2005 Boxster S
2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
LesMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #26

I also have a MINI Cooper S (2006) as my daily driver and it is great. My commute is about 15 miles each way and for that distance it is perfect. That said, if you have a long all-highway commute I think it might wear on you - the MINIs are fairly high-strung and not that comfortable just droning along on the interstate. And as been said before, $5-7K won't get you a good example if you can find one at all in that price range. I'm going to side with the others who are thinking "winter beater" and for the money a Subaru AWD is hard to beat for economy and fun.
hp12c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #27

I have an '04 BMW 325i that I use as my daily driver. I usually do anywhere from 80 to 150 miles a day her in Va. and MD. I currently have 139k on her and she is running strong. Knock on wood!

'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote