Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los! View Post
the Exclusive shift knob
What was the reason for the after market shift knob? Are you enjoying it?
I'm a big contact point person. Steer wheel, knob, pedals, and seats are among most important part of the driving experience for me.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #22

Nice looking, looking nice! Thanks for sharing
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #23

Thank you, thank you.

Laflamme, the shift knob may be technically "aftermarket," but it is a factory knob, very similar to the 996 standard knob, but with a tiny Porsche crest. Back in 2001, when my car was built, you could specify that this very knob should be installed. Pretty as it is, though, it is much shorter than the original knob, and therefore has to be moved that much less, resulting in quicker shifting.

I have always felt that the shifter in the 986 was and is the poorest-engineered part of the car. I spent more than ten years shifting a 1999 Miata, you see, and that experience spoiled me forever, shifting-wise.

To me the original shift knob seemed way too long, making the shifts that much longer. So first I tried this Porsche Exclusive-department knob, and it was better, but not good enough. So I then tried the 997 shifter, and that wasn't good enough. Lastly I installed a B&M shifter, and in conjunction with the shorter shifter, it's giving me shorter shifts, but is still nowhere near as good as a Miata shifter.

The Miata shifter shaft descends directly into the transmission, whereas the Boxster shifter is connected to two 10-ft cables, so maybe a Boxster shifter is NEVER going to be as direct-feeling and short as a Miata. But a Porsche deserves to have an excellent shifter, so I've been eyeing the Numeric Racing shifter, but, jeez, it is expensive.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #24

Hot wheels and tyres.

The sticker goes really well with that coloured car.

Nice Work!!