Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #41
Medicated Open-Air Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintboy View Post
Michelin All Season Pilot run flats. I have the run flats because I am diabetic and don't want to get stranded out in the country.
what size on the front and rear?

BDBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #42
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy986 View Post
Hankook V12's - getting better as the weather gets hotter! Approximately 1200 miles on them at this point. Experience includes moderately aggressive street driving, 2 AX's, 1 PDX...happy with purchase(so far). Comparing to Michelin Pilot Sport-no sessions.
I too went with the Hankook Ventus V12's mainly because I was doing a ton of other work to my 99' base and I wanted an economical solution but with performance and a quite ride. I have a little over 2K miles on my car since all the upgrades and I could not be happier with these tires.

I picked them up at Tire Rack's CT warehouse for $432 for a set of four. My thought is that I could buy two sets of rears to each set of fronts and still be under $700. That's just cool!
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #43

Star Spec. Will consider Super Sports next.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #44

Tires

Continental DWS. Love them!
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #45

I have a set of Yokohama Advan AD08, so far so good, handling wise I think they are comparable to the Michlin Pilots that came on the car. I like the look of the tread design though and think they would be better in the wet than the Michlins .
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
Research the Continental DW. (NOT the DWS which is a winter tire). I run them and would buy again./
Negative...DW is a "Max performance summer" tire and the DWS is an "Ultra high performance all season" tire. The DWS was the OEM tire on my 02 S. I bought a second set. They're decent all season tires. The are a lot of fun in the rain as you really need to work to break them loose, but the are very fun and predictable when you do.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
I have a set of Yokohama Advan AD08, so far so good, handling wise I think they are comparable to the Michlin Pilots that came on the car. I like the look of the tread design though and think they would be better in the wet than the Michlins .
I like these tires a LOT. I have them on my 993 Turbo (235/40/18 and 295/30/18). Great turn in, great feedback, great grip. Slightly less than PS2's. But I do not expect these to be better than the Michelins in the rain. Then again, I don't drive the toys on rainy days.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #48

Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ 255 40 ZR 17 on the rear and 215 50 ZR 17 front. Good wear and decent grip in cooler temperatures (although I do not typically drive below 50 F) as they have different compounds to permit decent cold weather performance. Unfortunately, only so-so in the wet and in hot conditions.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
Ditto that.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #50

Conti DWS. Weather can be very unpredictable here, Sudden snow and/or ice storms Oct. thru April.
Drive the Boxster to work, about 20 miles each way, At least once per week during those months, unless
bad weather seems a sure thing, then it's the Camry. Boring can be a good thing in traffic.

Last edited by jotoole; 06-17-2013 at 12:20 PM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #51
2 fast 4 U

Hankook

I also have the hankook evo 12 I find they are very quiet and offer a quiet ride without sacrificing performance. Overall for the price they are excellent tires.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
the DWS is an "Ultra high performance all season" tire..
Not directing this toward you... but there's an oxymoron from who ever put that in writing...
You are either: a high performance summer tire or a high peforming snow tire.
There is no "high" nor "ultra high peformance" to be found running a tire that attempts to do both winter and summer.

And imho these tires are risky over ice patches in anything approaching high peformance speeds and standard performance cornering/turning. It's really nothing more than a watered-down summer tire that is only marginally better than a pure summer tire in freezing temps. And by marginally I mean a very very small advantage over summer rubber.

If you value your Porsche and don't live in a climate with abrupt changes from cold to warm and back to cold within a single season, then these tires are more about convenience than safety. And even the worst snow tire is still decent in warm weather should a heat wave break out during the middle of winter.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #53

Falken 612 205 up front and Falken 912 255 in the back.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #54

I'm running Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2s that were put on about a month ago. I tried a few others while looking for the right feel, and was very dissatisfied until I put the Michelins on.

Porsche makes a point of putting the "N" rating on just a few tires that they feel are spec'd appropriately for their vehicles. And in my humble opinion, putting these tires on made a huge positive difference.
Izman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Not directing this toward you... but there's an oxymoron from who ever put that in writing...
You are either: a high performance summer tire or a high peforming snow tire.
There is no "high" nor "ultra high peformance" to be found running a tire that attempts to do both winter and summer.

And imho these tires are risky over ice patches in anything approaching high peformance speeds and standard performance cornering/turning. It's really nothing more than a watered-down summer tire that is only marginally better than a pure summer tire in freezing temps. And by marginally I mean a very very small advantage over summer rubber.

If you value your Porsche and don't live in a climate with abrupt changes from cold to warm and back to cold within a single season, then these tires are more about convenience than safety. And even the worst snow tire is still decent in warm weather should a heat wave break out during the middle of winter.

So what you're saying is that a Blizzak or say a Hakkapeliitta R2 is the in the same class? As someone whose driven on both, I can say they are great winter tires, but not something I'd want to drive on full time. I disagree with your notion that it's either this or that with no in between. Tread compounds can be formulated across a great range (silly nomenclature notwithstanding). Summer tires are just that, good for a fairly narrow temp range and down right dangerous below certain temps. While DSWs et. al. are a bit noisy and lesser performing in the summer months in the spring and fall where the day starts at 30df and reaches 65df by late afternoon, what do you drive on?...Blizzaks? That would be a waste.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
I have had the DW version (no S) for a while and I really like them. Saved money versus the OEM Michelins, and I have not noticed any downside. Changed to 18" from 17" at the same time. I do not autocross or drive in snow/ice.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #57

Just put a set of Falken FK452's on the rear and they seem to stick to the pavement quite well when I get aggressive in the turns on the mountain roads. Was a bit nervous due to the low price but I am quite pleased.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #58

There is no ideal tire, it's like women's shoes - different ones for different occasions. Personally I am using:

Nitto NT-01 for dry track days
Conti Extreme Contact DW for wet track days (an awsome rain tire)
Hoosier A6 for auto-x
Dunlop StarSpec for general loafing around

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #59

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Michelin Super Sports, I love these tires so far, on wet roads up here in Canada they handle just as well as in the dry. I had conti dw on my 944 i loved them as well but I think the Super sports are better cornering for sure.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #60

Michelin Pilot Sports. Replaced PS2's with them because they were cheaper and I don't race. They offer plenty of grip and hopefully will last about 35k.

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote