Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #21

Automatic transmissions like PDK, Which Porsche wants to make standard in all their cars soon, allows them to do two things at once: 1) mark up the base price of every car sold and 2) keep their overpriced dealer service stations busy fixing and properly maintaining these complicated systems. a LOT more cash in their coffers.

The only benefit of a manual transmission is to the driver and an independent mechanic who would charge only fraction of the cost to fix vs the cost of servicing an automatic PDK at the dealer.

As far as driving, no question a manual transmission makes you a better driver; it forces you to multi-task the elements involved in focused driving. An automatic transmission like PDK will remove that forcing of the driver to focus and make it an option instead. Those who opt not to focus are then much more likely to practice a different kind of multitasking: shaving with the Norelco, putting on lipstick, talking on the iPhone, eating a burrito.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-08-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #22

While I don't agree with the idea that Porsche is out to rip Perfectlap off and giggle like crazy over the extra $100s and $1000s of dollars they envision making should he ever (not likely) take the auto-plunge, I see no problem with a for-profit business making more money. I also think that generalizations over manual/auto awareness fail to address the individual and their ability to "focus" on driving. Not every gun owner shoots oneself, yet one can't shoot oneself without a gun. Not everyone that drinks alcohol gets behind the wheel after taking a drink, but one can't drive drunk without taking a drink. Having the ability to text doesn't assume that people will use it. There is no benefit to smoking and most wind up with cancer and, while one can argue that smoking is an addiction, blah blah blah, you cant be addicted to something you never tried. So, though I have hands-free capabilities, I choose not to pick up the phone when getting a call -- even though I drive a pdk. In my opinion, it comes down to the person, not necessarily the transmission.

Last edited by cfos; 06-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
shaving with the Norelco, putting on lipstick, talking on the iPhone, eating a burrito.
Those are the quickest ways to get thrown out of my car head first.

Minus the lipstick ofcourse

Last edited by rp17; 06-08-2013 at 11:08 AM.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #24
Carnut

My kids (3 girls) are actually very proud to have learned manual! You should see the look on the faces of the boys when they realize they can't even ask to drive my cars

The PDK is most certainly a very nice transmission and I enjoy driving those cars, however mine is manual.

Freedom of choice is one point. DIY service of gear box and clutch possibilty. And last not least it is also a pride thing, isn't it???

Later,
Andy
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #25

Actually I would buy an automatic PDK Porsche, the GT3 specifically. When an engine costs north of $50k to replace and unlike GM, Porsche point blank tell you that engine failure at the track is not covered on a car like the GT3, then I think an automatic transmission would do a better job of keeping such a costly engine in tact.

Out of warranty I won't touch an automatic PDK with a 10 foot pole. GT3 or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
While I don't agree with the idea that Porsche is out to rip Perfectlap off and giggle like crazy over the extra $100s and $1000s of dollars they envision making should he ever (not likely) take the auto-plunge, I see no problem with a for-profit business making more money. I also think that generalizations over manual/auto awareness fail to address the individual and their ability to "focus" on driving. Not every gun owner shoots oneself, yet one can't shoot oneself without a gun. Not everyone that drinks alcohol gets behind the wheel after taking a drink, but one can't drive drunk without taking a drink. Having the ability to text doesn't assume that people will use it. There is no benefit to smoking and most wind up with cancer and, while one can argue that smoking is an addiction, blah blah blah, you cant be addicted to something you never tried. So, though I have hands-free capabilities, I choose not to pick up the phone when getting a call -- even though I drive a pdk. In my opinion, it comes down to the person, not necessarily the transmission.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #26

Pride? For driving a manual? Meh. I'd rather have pride in raising good kids that live fulfilling lives, find someone (or not) to spend their lives with, have kids of their own (or not), and plan properly for their retirement. But driving stick to impress boys?

Like you and the 2 slackers tell Lloyd Dobbler, "... By choice, man. By choice."
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Actually I would buy an automatic PDK Porsche, the GT3 specifically. When an engine costs north of $50k to replace and unlike GM, Porsche point blank tell you that engine failure at the track is not covered on a car like the GT3, then I think an automatic transmission would do a better job of keeping such a costly engine in tact.

Out of warranty I won't touch an automatic PDK with a 10 foot pole. GT3 or otherwise.
Ok... So how exactly do you propose Porsche create this vehicle? I mean it is obvious it is not a high production vehicle.... You'd likely buy it used (right?) so the dealer isn't going to see you money... And you've already poo-poo'd the company for making cars more expensive... I mean if they stick with manuals and charge customers less for new cars... Please tell me how Porsche should make this very expensive car?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #28
Forum Contributor

You're really not a PDK guy P Lap and that's cool. However, I can't see the doom and gloom you do. For starters, the new manual is based on the PDK box, ut oh! Secondly, PDK is relatively new, someone independent will eventually work on them and even if they don't as they become more ubiquitous they will be available at a junkyard. There are tons of expensive things in a modern Porsche, obsessing on PDK repair seems a little silly to me, after all a new engine isn't exactly cheap. In closing, I want to say I was a manual guy too, I simply can't do it now without losing my legs for four or five days not worth it, so no more Fiat driving. With PDK you can shift without taking either hand off the wheel or changing the focus forward, I find that to be a distinct advantage and in opposition to the persistent message that manual will always be better. More fun? Perhaps sure but superior? I'm not seeing it.
ghostrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #29

cfos, I find your response to AndyA6's comment about his daughter's taking pride in being able to drive a manual transmission as being insulting and non-responsive; clearly we all want our children to be 'good kids who live fulfilling lives', but the two are not mutually exclusive.

I agree with those who suggest that automatics such as the PDK outperform manual transmissions and are therefore the wave of the future in performance cars. However, as with many others here, I still prefer driving a manual transmission. I too take pride in having mastered double-clutching and while I must admit that I could never hope to achieve the accuracy of the PDK in my own downshifts, I am also not trying to squeak out fractions of a second in lap times. To me it is somewhat akin to performers who use auto-tune in their live and recorded performances - yes, the result is perfect pitch, but without the requiring the same level of talent and artistry. Michael Buble apparently uses it and it is another reason that I prefer to listen to Frank Sinatra, who sang and recorded in an autotune-free time, rather than Buble. If not always precise, Frank's sound was human and real and all the remarkable fof it.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
cfos, I find your response to AndyA6's comment about his daughter's taking pride in being able to drive a manual transmission as being insulting and non-responsive; clearly we all want our children to be 'good kids who live fulfilling lives', but the two are not mutually exclusive.

I agree with those who suggest that automatics such as the PDK outperform manual transmissions and are therefore the wave of the future in performance cars. However, as with many others here, I still prefer driving a manual transmission. I too take pride in having mastered double-clutching and while I must admit that I could never hope to achieve the accuracy of the PDK in my own downshifts, I am also not trying to squeak out fractions of a second in lap times. To me it is somewhat akin to performers who use auto-tune in their live and recorded performances - yes, the result is perfect pitch, but without the requiring the same level of talent and artistry. Michael Buble apparently uses it and it is another reason that I prefer to listen to Frank Sinatra, who sang and recorded in an autotune-free time, rather than Buble. If not always precise, Frank's sound was human and real and all the remarkable fof it.

Brad
My, sometimes I guess I forget how much the internets are serious business -- perhaps this forum, too, since I had my 911 hiatus. I wasn't meaning to insult anyone directly (or indirectly, as in your case). Rather, I offered my opinion on what I choose to recognize with pride -- not stating that this is only thing. Likewise, I am not offended by the people rallying for "Save the Manuals!" nor their opinions of others for choosing "auto" transmissions (or heaven forbid, a 987 tiptronic!) -- as if having an auto implies you cannot "focus" while driving because one is busy doing other things, because they can.

Incidentally, there are several posts in the history of this forum for you to champion, should you so choose, and you may be surprised at some:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/12127-when-youre-out-your-gf-wife-post107086.html#poststop

More recently, this one:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46395-help-my-wife-wants-boxster.html

Why does the Wife get a base and he get an S? Was Phil's 1st post; it is doubtful anyone knows anything about the guy or his wife...

And, as a matter of fact, you may be interested to know that I'm also a champion of people being able to drive equally:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/12127-when-youre-out-your-gf-wife-post107161.html#post107161

I guess I forgot my emoticons in my more recent posting.

Last edited by cfos; 06-10-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #31
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Wow...I can't believe I read all of that nonsense

I prefer driving a manual when it's a sports car, automatic for DD. Porsches decision to go all PDK is idiotic IMO, but I'm not a Porsche lifer anyway, so I don't really care.

One big advantage is that stupid people can't drive my car...
Every long lost family member or friend, "Wow! Is that a Ferrari? Can I drive it?"
Me, "It's a stick."
They, "Awww! I don't know how to drive a stick shift."
Me, "I wouldn't let you even if you did."
Old 06-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Wow...I can't believe I read all of that nonsense

You have no idea... My fav -- the "biased" ticket:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14143-got-biased-ticket.html

Gosh, if only it were an auto... he may have been less focused and not gotten a ticket.

Last edited by cfos; 06-10-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #33

I dunno . . . I'm starting to miss my old manual Celica.

Yup. You heard me.

Perfect; I've invested in long wearing lipstick, no refresh needed.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #34

I would like to echo the comments about n drivers of manual cars being more engaged. I truly enjoy driving in Europe because the drivers are more engaged. I believe this is likely due to the fact that most of them are actually driving their cars as opposed to acting as passengers that have to go to the trouble to steer. I really enjoy driving in places like Rome and Florence where even the smallest econobox driver has ther had in the game (and what a game it is)! They make eye contact, they move quickly and precisely (if not always predictably). After spending a few days in that environment, US drivers seem like sleepy zombies that struggle just keeping it between the yellow lines...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice View Post
The problem with today's society is many parents are not requiring their children to learn how to drive manual.
Really? That's all you've noticed?

NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote