View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #29
southernstar

cfos, I find your response to AndyA6's comment about his daughter's taking pride in being able to drive a manual transmission as being insulting and non-responsive; clearly we all want our children to be 'good kids who live fulfilling lives', but the two are not mutually exclusive.

I agree with those who suggest that automatics such as the PDK outperform manual transmissions and are therefore the wave of the future in performance cars. However, as with many others here, I still prefer driving a manual transmission. I too take pride in having mastered double-clutching and while I must admit that I could never hope to achieve the accuracy of the PDK in my own downshifts, I am also not trying to squeak out fractions of a second in lap times. To me it is somewhat akin to performers who use auto-tune in their live and recorded performances - yes, the result is perfect pitch, but without the requiring the same level of talent and artistry. Michael Buble apparently uses it and it is another reason that I prefer to listen to Frank Sinatra, who sang and recorded in an autotune-free time, rather than Buble. If not always precise, Frank's sound was human and real and all the remarkable fof it.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote