Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

What Goofs have you done in/with your boxster lately (Good Laugh/Cry)

We are all fallible humans, except for JD of course , and even in a Boxster its possible to make mistakes.

People can learn a lot from others mistakes and hopefully we do not take our selves too seriously and can share some of those mistakes, failures, goofs etc.

This thread can also be quite entertaining and make for some good reading.

So contribute what you can so we can all learn a thing or two.

Pictures and videos would be great if you have them.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

I'll start with my first Autocross event at the Porsche Performance driving school.

Picture me on the coned course using my new skills and driving each lap faster...
until the dreaded slalom around the 5 cones.

First Lap...Synced my turns perfectly so that I hit every cone....how is that even possible...

Next lap..started my swerving a bit late and hit every cone after the first one...more instructor advise.

Next Lap...slowed to granny speed and did not hit one cone...

Next Lap...hit most of the cones again....dammmmmm.

Next Lap... I hate these cones so after hitting the first one I know its out of sync again so i just aim down the middle of the cones and run them all down.....

next Lap ... Cone tenders give me a hand gesture , so I slow slightly and start the swerves perfectly and make it through without knocking a cone...finally I'm starting to get the hang of this.

My turn as cone tender had me running around continuously...payback's a B*tch!!!
Attached Images

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-22-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #3

Garage
No first example???!!!

Because I am the self deprecating type I will start...

A couple of weeks after getting my S, I was curious how much the PSM really did. So while at a stop I turned it off. Then gave it good throttle and made a 90 degree left turn at an intersection. I have never had a problem doing that in the past, and knew that I would lose some traction.

OOOPPPSSS.....She can get sideways quick....LOL

I am sure the other drivers at the red light were shaking their heads "stupid Porsche driver thinks he is all that and can't even drive".

I can do that now with no problems, but wasn't ready the first time

edit***Well you hadn't posted that when I started.***

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19

Last edited by Coffinhunter; 05-22-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: He wasn't there, honest
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #4

Ok, not a Boxster so apologies but it was at least a Porsche, a lovely 944 Turbo Cabriolet I used own.

I had led a week long Porsche Club Ireland tour around the Scottish Highlands a few years ago and as we got very close to the Ferry port at Stranraer in Southern Scotland on the way home, my engine started to boil, small crack in a rad hose... No biggie! Pulled into the ferry port and checked in, got sent to our loading line and que'd up... Jumped out of the car with a 2 litre bottle of mineral water I was drinking from and took a look under the bonnet. Due to some dodgy electrical wiring on the car previously the doors were set to lock about 3 seconds after the doors were closed while the engine was running.... The Boat was about to load so while under the front of the car assessing the leak I decided to let it cool and load with water when on board (it would last another few mins I reckoned.) then I heard the dreaded clunk of my drivers door being shut by a big hairy biker trying to walk past to get a cup of tea... Yep! you guessed it... ferry starts to board, I'm standing outside a locked but running Porsche.... Thankfully the same biker who had closed my door had a small penknife.... In through the rear plastic window! Worst and most expensive knife swipe ever! Felt pretty stupid too....
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

All within the same week:
-Got a ticket doing all of 45 miles an hour
-Backed it into my truck, causing minor damage to the paint that required a trip to the body shop
-Backed my truck into it ( driveway is too #^%$*$%ing small)
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #6

Trying to keep maintenance up to date on my 98 Box, I was changing the fuel filter and for whatever reason was having a difficult time getting the fuel line reconnected to the output of the fuel filter.

Knowing its always a good idea to use excessive force on nylon and plastic parts I tried my best to gorilla the line in place, only to break the connector on the line.
I am my own idiot.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
Carnut

Did anybody ever drop something, like on your car..?

Me, snow shovel no less. Minor dent which was fixed but still.......
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #8

Dropped wrench on my 944.

About 10 years ago, I dropped a torque wrench on my bronze 944, just in front of where the hood closes. Flaked a big hunk of paint off and a nice dent. I just had it detailed earlier too, so I had to go spend a bunch of money for them to touch it up and fix it. Felt really stupid for weeks.
tortoise944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #9

My shining moment was last fall when I was doing an oil change. From some reason I had a major brain fart and poured the fresh oil into the coolant tank. I have no idea why I did this - it's not like it was my first oil change or anything. I made the best of a bad situation and pre-emptively changed out the 13 year old coolant tank as it no doubt was due to crack soon anyway. I felt lucky that I had this forum as a resource. Thanks again to all the excellent, supportive people that helped me out and provided advice and encouragement (except for one guy that, for whatever reason, decided to be a total jerk about it. Still haven't figured that one out).

Last edited by Mark_T; 05-23-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #10

I cracked two hoses while trying to replace the AOS.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #11

This one is much worse than the coolant tank debacle ... last summer I was spray painting some white patio furniture in the back yard, well away from the garage. Unfortunately, I had left the side man door open and I guess the wind was from the wrong direction and a cloud of overspray managed find a home down the side of my black car which was parked inside the garage. How bad does a person's luck have to be for this to happen? A few hours of hard rubbing with Nu Finish Scratch Doctor set the world right again, but geez I was upset at the time.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #12

I was playing with my new 3000psi pressure washer, washing everything in sight really, and thought I could use it to was the cars as well. Did my black 99 Jeep Wrangler and noticed how well it peeled off bumper stickers....cool.

Then on to the Girl friends white 2004 Wrangler, before moving on the the Boxster.

I noticed her Wrangler has some stone chips and some bug goo, so I got in nice and close 6" to really get it clean.....whoa, paint flakes are lifting off right down to the primer...she's going to kill me...crap!

After that debacle I only use the sprayer on the Boxsters non-painted stuff. Works fantastic on the wheels and tires, no more brush scrubbing required...hooray!

I let the girl friend use it for cleaning the deck, and she promptly blew all the ceramic nic-nacs and a flower pot off the table, sneding them crashing to the ground.
Hehehe, I hated all those stupid looking nic-nacs and am happy to see them go. Now I ought to show here the high power setting...[Evil Grin]

Last edited by jb92563; 05-23-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #13

A couple of weeks ago I was replacing the shift boot and e-brake cover on my car since they were original and looking rather worn. After reading how to pull the shift knob off the car with lots of warning on how it will give and wack you in the head upon release - I carefully pulled, and pulled, and pulled - finally it came free and I managed to not wack myself in the head.......unfortunately upon release my body shot up and my shoulder hit the rearview mirror causing it to fall to the ground with a large chunk of the windshield still attached.........nice .

So for those looking to change the shift boot, don't wack your head AND don't break with windshield.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #14

Garage
Ok this involves a plastic round oil drain thing from auto zone with a pourer on the side and a screw in cap in the center. First oil change: the force of the very hot oil coming out shut the cap in the center and the oil drained all over my friends' garage floor. What a mess! One year later: not to let that happen again, I pulled the center cap out of the oil drain thing and cast it aside. This time the oil drain plug from the car fell perfectly into the hole in the drain pan thing and stopped it up. Once again, oil all over the garage floor. This next time I'm going to take further precautions, e.g. a screen over the oil drain thing, maybe?? Why does this have to be so difficult?
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #15

Garage
The other week I replaced my front motor mount. After 4-5 hours of all the sit ups, crunches and contortions necessary working under this car on stands, I finished buttoning the bottom panels and lowered down for a test drive.

As I walk through the garage to get cleaned up I see sitting in the corner the Foam insert that fits up in the center tunnel that goes around all the coolant lines.

I seem to be at 100% for that one stupid thing that requires undoing your work to make it 100% right.

After debating and cursing myself out (my poor neighbors), I jacked the car back up, crawled under, removed the center pan and made it right
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
This one is much worse than the coolant tank debacle ... last summer I was spray painting some white patio furniture in the back yard, well away from the garage. Unfortunately, I had left the side man door open and I guess the wind was from the wrong direction and a cloud of overspray managed find a home down the side of my black car which was parked inside the garage. How bad does a person's luck have to be for this to happen? A few hours of hard rubbing with Nu Finish Scratch Doctor set the world right again, but geez I was upset at the time.

A clay bar will save you lots of rubbing! The bar will remove overspray without much of a wimper.

For the next time!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #17

Garage
I have to go back to when I was 17 & bought my 1st car just for the engine. Gas prices had recently shot up from $0.40 per gal to $0.59. My parts car was 1/2 full of gas so I began siphoning the gas into gas cans. Soon discovered I didn't like the taste of gasoline (maybe because of the lead). So I had the bright idea that I could use my mom's vacum cleaner to start the siphon, never thinking about the fumes getting into the vacum. Soon the vacum died with a small explosion! :dance: :chicken:
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
Gary D

Garage
Left the top down overnight and it rained, everything was soaked. Dried the interior as best I could, but the seat foam was still pretty damp. I decided it might a good idea to just leave the top down and park the car in direct sunlight on a hot day to dry it. Absolutely cooked the seat leather to bits! They looked like they were cooked in a frying pan.

The new seat upholstery looks pretty...!
Gary_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I have to go back to when I was 17 & bought my 1st car just for the engine. Gas prices had recently shot up from $0.40 per gal to $0.59. My parts car was 1/2 full of gas so I began siphoning the gas into gas cans. Soon discovered I didn't like the taste of gasoline (maybe because of the lead). So I had the bright idea that I could use my mom's vacum cleaner to start the siphon, never thinking about the fumes getting into the vacum. Soon the vacum died with a small explosion! :dance: :chicken:
I don't think I've ever seen gas prices that low.

At least not in my lifetime. . .
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
I don't think I've ever seen gas prices that low.

At least not in my lifetime. . .
When I got my first car (67 Pontiac with a 20+ gallon tank) I went and filled it from about empty. It cost 12 bucks and I thought, OMG, I don't think I can afford to run this thing!