Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
When I got my first car (67 Pontiac with a 20+ gallon tank) I went and filled it from about empty. It cost 12 bucks and I thought, OMG, I don't think I can afford to run this thing!
LOL!

I laughed out loud at that . . .

Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #22

Garage
Okay, I'll own up... Just because this story makes my sister laugh to tears and the title of this post included "good laughs"... Sorry for the length.

Purchased my Box late last August, and in September moved from Dallas (where I'd spent the last 13 years) back to OK (where I'm from and where my family still lives). I had not yet found a job and was still settling in so in the meantime I was living with my parents, which is the same house they've lived in since I was 5. Mind you I'm in my mid-30...

It was a drizzly Sunday and I was going to visit one of my closest friends who had just moved his wife and daughter from Houston back to OK as well. They were also living with his parents in the same house that he grew up in too. So driving to his house felt hilarious. Now 20 years later, we're both back in Oklahoma and both living in our childhood homes and once again I was driving over to his house to hang out.

I arrived at his house after "feeling my way" there since I'd made the trip so many times before but not in such a long time. We were hanging out, laughing, grilling (though again it was a little chilly and drizzly on this October Sunday) and his family was getting ready to host a bunch of his brother's friends for his 30th birthday that afternoon and watch football. After a few hours, Brad says "so let's see the Porsche". So we walked around to the front and got in. "Let's take this on the tollway!" Brad said. "No man, I saw a few highway patrolmen on my way here and it's wet. We'll just go a few miles and make a square and come back." So we started it up, and just slowly drove out of his parent's neighborhood as we talked about the car.

We pulled up to the stop sign, and took a right. I didn't get on the gas but just a little bit and drove to the first stop sign, which was about 1/4 mile away and was where the road ended due to a big country club and golf course being in the way. So we took a right and I stepped on the gas... 1st gear... tires broke loose in the rain a little... shifted to 2nd, tires still loose but I just figured they'd grab. Wrong. Wet oily road, bald tires (after post-incident inspection), and slightly bumpy pavement. This all happened in a matter of seconds. Car was loose, couldn't stop or steer and we crossed the oncoming lane (thank God no cars or peds) and blasted "BOOM" my (new to me) car through a tiny decorative wooden fence that was next to the beautiful country club entrance, into their manicured lawn, and finally came to a stop. Again, happened in seconds.

I looked over at Brad... His hands planted on the dash. "Jesus, you ok?" "No way that just happened"... No one was hurt. Great. My next thought... What the eff do I do?! I thought I was for sure stuck in the soggy lawn. Put the car in reverse and to my amazement, backed out onto the road. Still no cars were really around. Put it into 1st and slowly drove the direction we were originally headed and to the first right turn I could make back to his parent's house. We had been in the car not 4 minutes. Unbelievable.

I got out, and surveyed the damage because everything "felt" ok. No weird sounds, no misalignment... I'd hit one of the 2 foot tall wooden posts almost dead on. Splintered wood was all over my hood, top and there were dents even over the rear tire where wood flew up and landed. The worst of the damage was that the front bumper was bashed as well as my center radiator, but thankfully no fluid leaking.

Brad could not stop laughing and I couldn't remember the last time I'd been so embarrassed... We still had to limp our way BACK to his parent's house where his whole famn damily was and a birthday party was starting... OMG if I could have pushed rewind on my life right then.

It all ended fine. I immediately called the country club from his house and told them what had happened. They were so nice and just said they would fix it, no problem and thanks for calling and owning up. I was able to drive the car home that night. I found a replacement bumper, had it painted, bought a new center rad and checked everything else out. Oh, and I got new tires. I fixed it all myself and was able to get paintless dent repair on the other body panels, so it looks perfect now.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my own story...

Last edited by TheProspector; 05-23-2013 at 11:10 AM.
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #23

I had a closed top oil pan. I would just leave the top plug open all the time.

Except for once.

Didn't realize until the 3rd quart was out and I needed to reach in and open it up. Thank god I had some speedy dry on hand.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #24

I pulled the wet vac closer to the floorboard by the hose. The wet vac rolled closer, and slammed into the car, busting a front corner lamp. Dang! That was stupid....
Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #25

Too Cool for School

Working at Lee Barracks in Mainz, Germany and I had just picked up my 944 at the factory. Outside the PX I was putting stuff in the hatchback and enjoying watching a group of GIs admiring the car. I was so cool I couldn't stand myself. I then realized I had just dumped a giant soda into the brand new carpet, along with a bunch of ice. I calmly closed the hatch and raced for home and the shop vac. Traded the car a year later for an AC 911 -- no hatch to dump stuff in!
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #26

WhIle oh so carefully wheeling a band saw on a dolly out of my garage between my BMW and my Boxster, the access door on the saw popped open and put two very deep and long scratches in the driver's door of the box... A self-inflicted wound I get to look at every single day now.

I'm still pissed off.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #27

I'm having that issue now, I hate sharing the "working garage" space with parking space. Last week the swaybar from my race car fell off a shelf right next to the front fender, and bounced AWAY from the car! Dodged a bullet there
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #28
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Before buying my house, I used to have to park the car in the driveway. Usually it was always parked farthest in since it saw the least use, but this time I felt lazy and didn't want to juggle all the cars around, so I parked behind my sister's Crapali---er, Cavalier.

For whatever reason at that particular moment, instead of putting the car in neutral and pulling the e-brake as soon as I parked like I always do, I left it in gear and just lifted my foot off the clutch...like I always do when I put the car in neutral and pull the brake. Instant lurch and realization of what was happening, tried to get the clutch in and foot on the brake, but it was too late and my car's recently detailed nose ended up in the rear of a (thankfully also silver) Chevy. The point of my nose was aligned with the ridge on the Cavalier's bumper cover that surrounds the license plate, so it was a good shot for travelling only a few inches. The Cavalier looked untouched. I now have a very small dimple on the bumper from the impact and plenty of spiderwebbed paint in about a 6-inch radius.

You can bet I was m-fing myself for a while after that, and I notice it every time I am anywhere near the front of the car.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #29

Some how the Painted part of my spoiler flew off while punching it on the I-85. I glad there where no motorcyclist behind me. BTW I am having finding a replacement part any ideas?

Is that some kind of high speed tailgate defense feature of 986s?
sixpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #30

Garage
Completely annihilated that piece of crap front headlight tower connector, so now the entire front wheel liner has to come out so I can push the back of the connector into the headlight assembly every time I need to remove the front headlight for bulb replacement etc
desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #31

Here is a good one for you guys. Was cleaning out my radiators. Just about done and was about to put the wheel liners back on. Something tells me to test out the emergency hood release. It works but after that, I spend the next 30 mins trying to figure out why the frunk wouldn't close. At one point I had put the wheel liners back on and was about to put the wheels back on the car. Decided that it would be a pain in da... if I had to go back in there so I took the wheel liners off trying to fix the problem. Finally I thought to go hit the hood release in the car. Problem solved. Frunk closed after that. Had a good laugh 30minutes later!!!!!
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
Ok this involves a plastic round oil drain thing from auto zone with a pourer on the side and a screw in cap in the center. First oil change: the force of the very hot oil coming out shut the cap in the center and the oil drained all over my friends' garage floor. What a mess! One year later: not to let that happen again, I pulled the center cap out of the oil drain thing and cast it aside. This time the oil drain plug from the car fell perfectly into the hole in the drain pan thing and stopped it up. Once again, oil all over the garage floor. This next time I'm going to take further precautions, e.g. a screen over the oil drain thing, maybe?? Why does this have to be so difficult?
Wow..........this is an informative post, seeing as I just bought one of these a few months ago, and was planning on using it next oil change.

TO

p.s. Do you think your friend will let me change my oil in his garage?
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #33
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
We pulled up to the stop sign, and took a right. I didn't get on the gas but just a little bit and drove to the first stop sign, which was about 1/4 mile away and was where the road ended due to a big country club and golf course being in the way. So we took a right and I stepped on the gas... 1st gear... tires broke loose in the rain a little... shifted to 2nd, tires still loose but I just figured they'd grab. Wrong. Wet oily road, bald tires (after post-incident inspection), and slightly bumpy pavement. This all happened in a matter of seconds. Car was loose, couldn't stop or steer and we crossed the oncoming lane (thank God no cars or peds) and blasted "BOOM" my (new to me) car through a tiny decorative wooden fence that was next to the beautiful country club entrance, into their manicured lawn, and finally came to a stop. Again, happened in seconds.

I looked over at Brad... His hands planted on the dash. "Jesus, you ok?" "No way that just happened"... No one was hurt. Great. My next thought... What the eff do I do?! I thought I was for sure stuck in the soggy lawn. Put the car in reverse and to my amazement, backed out onto the road. Still no cars were really around. Put it into 1st and slowly drove the direction we were originally headed and to the first right turn I could make back to his parent's house. We had been in the car not 4 minutes. Unbelievable.
I HATE when that happens!

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote