Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #21

My handbrake is so loose it rolls backwards when parked on a hill unless I keep it in gear also.
Living by San Fran, with many crazy steep streets, I've never found a need for a handbrake, and would make it difficult to hold my Frapachino while driving.

Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
OK, for clarification - parking meant the process of - meaning the hand brake was not used until the car was at a complete stop. And I suppose there are exceptions related to safety, but I'll stick with my view that using a hand brake in a car with a MT as a matter of general use is just plain wrong.

It takes a bit more skill to get a vehicle moving up a hill without using the parking brake, but that's all it is. And if one lacks the skill to do so, shouldn't drive a MT. Or if they must, then they should get a vehicle with a hill assist. Subaru had one quite a ways back. I used it a couple of times on very stepp hills on my Outback Sport, but can't say I really liked it or needed it. Now Porsche has one too. It's sad to see these types of features put in a MT transmission car in the first place. To me, it follows the same principle as a PDK only Porsche. It does make the vehicle more available to the masses - got that - but it detracts from the feel, the interaction, and the skill required to drive the vehicle. That just takes all the fun out of it for me and places it back it in the label of just transportation.

BTW: One of the other reasons for having this view is having had someone roll back on to you at a hill because they couldn't control their vehicle without using the hand brake. If it happens to you, then you too may change your mind about using a hand brake on a hill as a general rule.
I think you're a little harsh here. I do use this method and I use it for the safety of my car and other cars behind me. For you to say those that don't have this skill should be driving a Subaru or other cars with roll back assist. To add that we should not be driving a car with manual trans is just plain wrong.

Besides, what's wrong with using the hand brake to prevent roll back? Are you always so perfect that a slip will never happen to you? If we're one of these drivers that fall into this category why should we not be driving a manual? Have you ever been to SF and drive through some of the hills there?

I will not claim to be the great driver like you with exceptional skills to drive a manual trans but I've driven various types of cars, trucks and heavy equipment to include Military recovery vehicles (M88). That's what 25 years of Military experience for you and being in charge of of a Maintenance Battalion.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #23

No, I'm not perfect. And yes I have driven in SF too. Nor am I saying that using a hand brake occasionally for safety is wrong, but what I am saying is using it all the time is wrong. As I stated previously, I've had at least two instances of someone rolling back in to my car (at least 5~6 feet behind them roll back in to me because they couldn't control their vehicle without the hand brake and even with it couldn't get their vehicle moving forward properly. Why? Because they didn't know how to either use the heel toe method to start their vehicle or just time it peroperly (i.e. let go of the brake and push in the gas while slipping the clutch to move their vehcile). Thier lack of skill is a detriment to other drivers.

I see a lack of skill in this regard the same way I do someone who no longer has the capability to drive propelry due to age, illness, or other infirmity to drive. I've been rear ended twice in my life by people that lacked the skill to drive (poor reactions) in this way. So, maybe I am too harsh in this area, but then again I'm the opne that wound up suffering for thier inability to drive. FWIW, boith time I was rear ended in this regard I reported the drivers to DMV. On their DMV restest they failed and thier drivers license was revoked. I considered that a public service so someone else wouldn't wind up rear ended. When I can no longer drive safely, I will volenteer ro give up my license so as not to be a public menance.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #24

Garage
I learned to drive on a manual and have had manual cars since (30+ years)
I kinda of feel stupid that I never even thought the handbrake would be used for that reason. I think it was an episode of Top Gear where I saw them do that. Needless to say I have always just done the hill thing with a quick off the brake on the throttle, clutch release.
I have tried the Handbrake/hill a couple of times since I got the P-car.
I have to teach myself to do it right. I'm pretty bad at coordinating it all now,
I find I use a lot more throttle and slower clutch release using the handbrake.
That translates to more wear.
I think it should be part of a drivers skill inventory but you have to practice.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #25

Garage
All those 'non handbrake users' would fail your driving test in the UK.
Its mandatory!

Things have changed a little since i passed. When i started driving, the car had to be in neutral and hadbrake applied in any stationary situation including traffic and stoplight.

The reason is, if someone rear ends the queue, everyone will hit everyone.
The impact will jar your feet off the pedals, the car will lunge and stall. From there on in its like dominos. 10 cars with damage instead ofr maybe 3.
Multiple claims, multiple liabilities.
Also at a stoplight...if the lead car lurches forward due to rear end collision, pedestrians could get hurt.

Secondly holding a car on the cluch WILL dispose of your clutch in a much shorter time frame.

Letting an auto hold itself WLL destroy the torque convertor (or equivalent) in a much shorter time frame.

Finally @2003s, i sensed some humour in your comment - as i have to say if you rolled back into my car...for whatever reason.... I'd be rolling up on you! ya dig.

The skill is knowing when to use it and when not, combining all levels of control and coordination to provide the best driving experience whilst attempting to mitigate damage to others (cars and people) and prolonge the car's components.

I wonder if THStone had his parking brake applied when his car was rear ended!?

Last edited by EssexPorsche; 05-24-2013 at 05:29 AM.
EssexPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Essex, I know that countries like yours tend to have much tougher driving exams and that results in generally better drivers, but I've got to live with what I've got around here, and our driving exams are a joke compared to what I hear people in Europe having to do to just get a newbie license. And unfortunately the thinking is backwards here in trying to make the cars better at controlling themselves than making the drivers better at controlling the vehicles and paying attention to what they're doing so they and others don't get hurt.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote