Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #1

New problem: Engine idles fine but sounds like a muscle car under power...code P1539

Hi all,
Of course this happens the night before we are supposed to take it to the PCA sprint tour...guess it's the VW for now till I get this sorted.

Coming home last night it was fine then it started to have a very loud intake sound under power. I initially thought maybe an exhaust leak but that was negative...it clearly was coming from the intake.

There also was a nasty smell in the car...almost like a clutch but more electrical in nature...hard to pinpoint. I almost wonder if some wires got fried somewhere.

I see the code is for the Bank 2 variocam actuator...oh joy nice and expensive. I guess it is jealous of me working on the 944.

Anyways if anyone has suggestions before I bring it to my indie for diagnosis let me know...especially if there are any related electronics in the cabin that I should be looking at first.

Chris

Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #2

Check the triggering wire that goes to the actuator to see if it's shorted to ground or open. Check the 12V supply feed that goes to the actuator to see if it's open. Sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

As Paulv suggested, check the 12V supply to the actuator. Then apply 12v to the actuator and see if you hear it moving (click). Not unheard of for the actuator to stop working.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll find it to be a short but the way my luck has been going this weekend it will be more than that. The burning smell was the most odd of it all and it had the hint of being a fried wire.
Chris
Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #5

Update to this issue:
It has been at the shop now for a few weeks. The actuator has been replaced and it was toast but unfortunately it threw new codes and has been traced back to the driver from the computer. This would explain the burning smell that came from the same location as the CPU.

What we figure happened is when the actuator died it back-fed. Now it triggers but never completely de-energizes. It is hard to say for sure which went first but regardless one took out the other and the computer has been sent out for repair.

Never something simple is it?

Chris
Old 06-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
soucorp

Garage
P1539 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 2
Actuator triggered, no active position.

Potential causes:
- Open circuit in triggering wire.
- Open circuit in B+ supply.
- Actuator faulty.

Check the connector and the wiring to the cam actuator the right side of the car.
B+ would be 12 volts.
If the actuator is bad then I suggest letting a shop do that. The cam cover has to come off.
If it is properly connected and there is no wiring damage and the unit is getting the 12 volts -- then it pretty much has to be the actuator.
Sounds right... fix or replace things along this bus line and your car be back up in no time.

Best

Last edited by soucorp; 06-13-2013 at 07:33 AM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote