Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Taj

Right Door handle not Activating Window Glass to Slide Down... Helppp!!!

Hi everyone....so I'm a new owner of a used Boxster. I've an issue and I want to learn how to fix my Boxster with the purpose that I will keep this little beast for some time It's a 2000 2.7L Tiptronic and has 70K in it.

The right door window glass will smoothly drop while opening the door from the inner handle to go out of the car. The window smoothly opens and closes however when I try to open the door from outer door handle the glass will no drop. Sometime the glass drops and goes up very fast before I open the door. Sometimes it will just function normally. Most of the time the glass will not respond. I have tried every way to open the door but it's not helping me. Please note that I can easily open and close the left door on the driver side with no problem.... it's not a door balance issue

I'm determined to open the window and replace the parts. I saw an issue about door handle "tumbler" in Boxster 101 Project but I'm not clear which part is that.

I learn from 986Forum and Pelican Parts that I need to replace this:

996 613 126 00
996-537-445-02

Someone please help me why my outer door handle is not activating the glass to drop while opening the door? What parts do I need to replace?

Thank you

Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #2

Garage
Micro switch on the outer handle would be the first place to look - may need cleaning, may need replacing.

I believe there is a second mirco switch that part of the lock or hinge mechanism. One switch tell the windo to drop when the door is opened, the other tells is to remain open until the door is closed.

It sound like the door thinks its closed and therefore not maintaining the comfort gap.

Search for it using the search, there have been stacks of threads on this i think
Old 05-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #3

Garage
search thread 'window drop relay'
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #4

You could try re teaching the windows. There is a procedure and I am not sure where to find it

When mine get out of whack I just fiddle with them until I hit on the right sequence. You could try powering the windows all the way down and turning of the car...on again. Then actuate them closed; from inside try the handle or get out and try the handle ...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Usercpy

Garage
Here's some Q&A about window troubleshoot.
It might be connecting point between the doors too..(bad connection, corroding)

Boxster/996 window issues? | RennsportKC
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Taj

Thanks or the input... I tried this and the window will behave only for a short while then it will not function. I believe I need to replace the micro switch.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #7

Garage
Taj -
Read this thread. It might be a switch inside the door lock assembly. That was the solution to a similar problem I had a while back.

Door window drops but immediately jumps back up
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #8

Garage
Something like this happened to me shortly after I bought my box last year. In my case, the passenger window wouldn't drop. Turned out to be the convertible top "switch". I unlatched the top and reseated it, window would drop after that... It hasn't given me a problem since, so it must've just not been activated by that convertible top "hook" that hits that switch when closed. Anyway, just something free to try before you start spending money...

Last edited by TheProspector; 05-10-2013 at 05:47 AM.
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Taj

Thanks for letting me know about the top and it's connection to the door window problem. This is another solution I will definitely try.

So far I've done this myself:

1. Changed the mud flap. I got it by $25 with shipping free in ebay Porsche quoted me $95.
2. Changed pollen and air filter. Bought both by $50 out the door. I was surprised to see that there was no pollen filter cover and the filter is not properly attached to the car. I have to just slide the filter inside and lock by a plastic clip. I never asked the dealer but someone just mentioned here that they charge $450.
3. Recharged my AC. Bought freon and meter reader by $40 out the door. Independent Garage quoted me $175 to recharge the AC. The meter remains and next time it will be only $20 to recharge my AV

... and it's all because of you all that I could do this. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge.

I hope the door window works....

This is my upcoming projects and I will be very glad if you share your experience:

1. Paint brake calipers.
2. Paint rims.
3. Replace all the four tires.
4. Change brake pads (when I paint the calipers).
5. Change transmission fluid... I don't think I can do this on my own because I will need tons of jacks
6. Flush brake... I don't think I'm doing this one either

Any comments that I should be aware?

Blessings!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, paint your calipers GREEN!!!

LMAO

Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
The SOLUTION is to fix the problem…but this might help you deal with it until then.

Before you exit the vehicle, drop the window using the buttons on the console. About an inch should do you, just so it does not bang against the window sill when you shut the door.

Exit the vehicle, shut the door, and insert the key - TURN key to the RIGHT! All the windows roll up and lock the car!

It is the only way I preserved my sanity whilst waiting to replace the micro switch - which is not an easy task. You DO have to break the plastic inside the hermetically sealed door panel to get to the micro switch to fix it, FYI.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
Taj

Hi Homeboy981... sliding down the glass for some inches while opening the door is what I'm doing right now. Since it's the passenger side it's not of a big problem.

Do you got a picture on this, "You DO have to break the plastic inside the hermetically sealed door panel to get to the micro switch to fix it." I trying to get all the info before I dig in

Thanks.

Taj.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Taj

particlewave you've a nice ride there Green Calipers!!! that's what I was thinking of. My Boxster is British Racing Green and I thought bright green calipers will co-ordinate with my body color.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #14

silver calipers would look classy--BRGreen is rare for a Porsche-nice colour Taj! Do you know about Sunset Porsche yet? They're in Portland and sell for less than any other dealer ( except Suncoast in Florida, occasionally).