Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
Are My Headers Hangin' Too Low?

Here's a pic of the right (passenger's) side view from behind. Is it hangin' too low?

Is the O2 Sensor and "Spark Plug Anti-Fouler" setup dangling down too far? The second O2 Sensor is the after cat sensor but now has become "my catalytic converter" using the Anti-Fouler trick by getting the sensor out of the exhaust flow. I have read differing reports. So I though I would give it a try this way first.

Here is a shot of the primary (or first) O2 sensor. Sorry about the photo clarity - it is hard take a pic when you are jumping up and down! :dance:

Here is the left (driver's) side view...

Will this wire pose a problem on the left side? The O2 sensor wires are tighter than a "Baywatch" string bikini!

No CELs were incurred - since it is not out of the driveway yet.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #2

The wires being that tight will cause a problem sooner or later. It also appears too low, but It's hard to tell without all the covers and such in place.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
I ran like that for awhile. The o2 wires did get scraped once, but not badly. The extensions will extend your time without a CEL, but it will eventually come on. I tried a couple of things, decreasing the size of the hole in the extension, and also blocking it completely, but nothing fooled the ECU and I always got the CEL. I eventually forked out for a Softronic tune, and that worked great.
If you ever Dyno your car, I'd love to know how your air-fuel ratios look. Mine have come back lean a couple of times.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #4

Garage
Is you S1 harness pulled tight against the block, with nothing protecting it from rubbing through?
Skootnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #5

Garage
I'm not sure what mid pipes you have but here was my solution to exactly that problem. it also gives a change in your reading between the first and second O2 sensor on each bank. This a 2 year old NHP setup I had in my base 2.7. Today or tomorrow it will be back on a 3.6 I've rebuilt from a 3.2

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Hi @jsceash,

I am running catless, or trying to. Just put in the headers. Have a Top Speed1 Cat Bypass & Cat Back Exhaust system. It felt and sounded good before, can't wait to see what the headers do.

Hey @j.fro,

Sealing the O2 sensor extensions was what I thought would work, since it reduces the airflow over the O2 sensor. So an "L-Extension" definitely wouldn't work? If I have to go for an ECU flash, what does it run? Why were your ratios off, from the headers, the flash or intake?

@stephen wilson & Skootnasty,

I have found a way to "give the wires some slack". The O2 sensor wires each plug or clip into a plastic sensor block attached to…well, the engine block. It is held in place by a small bolt. I merely undid the bolt and attached it using zip ties - nice and secure in multiple places (so it won't rattle or become loose).

Car also needs an inspection, so the headers may be bad timing but we'll see how it goes. Also, have to put on my "inspection colors"….a spare set of ugly orange turn signals.

Here is a good shot of how close my MAF is to the Throttle Body….

Moving the MAF closer to the TB may help sort out your readings j.fro.

Keep the advice coming….goodness knows I can use it!!