Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #1

Bluetooth Headset

It looks like it’s been a few years since this has been discussed.

I know a headset does not exist that would allow a normal conversation at highway speed with the top down, but I find myself leaving the top up if I’m expecting a phone call because I won’t be able to answer it. I have a hard time hearing a conversation walking across a windy parking lot with my current headset, let alone at highway speeds.

I’m currently using a Plantronics Voyager 520. I also bought a Discovery 975, which was even worse. Both touted noise cancellation technology.

The biggest failure with either is volume. I set them to the maximum volume and its comfortable to barely adequate with the top up.

Does anyone actually have a headset they find adequate for some sort of rudimentary communication with the top down?

Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #2

Garage
I use a hands free device that clips to the visor of the car, and transmits on a FM frequency. You can then adjust the volume on the stereo to hear the call. It works pretty well.

JABRA Cruiser2

Make sure it is the cruiser two, they made a cruiser one but it does not have the FM modulator.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #3

Garage
Been using my Jawbone Era with the top up, and people on the other end have said they couldn't hear the engine noise, which is pretty good at highway speed. Apparently it has very good noise cancellation. I can hear calls very well, and there is room to volume up even more...

Hasn't been warm enough yet to put the top down, though...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
I use a hands free device that clips to the visor of the car, and transmits on a FM frequency. You can then adjust the volume on the stereo to hear the call. It works pretty well.

JABRA Cruiser2

Make sure it is the cruiser two, they made a cruiser one but it does not have the FM modulator.
Have you used it with the top down?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret View Post
Have you used it with the top down?
Yeah. I sometimes have to tlit the visor down a little, but I am 6'2" and have the seat all the way back. At lower speeds I have no problems at all, on the freeway at 70+ I have to turn up the stereo a bit to hear, and when I tlit the visor the other people haven't complained.

Plus I use it to liten to the music/podcasts ect. on my I phone with no cords!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

The Motorola HX1 is by far the best noise canceling headset. It has two modes, but the best one uses an inner ear sensor that will transmit sound from your inner ear bones. It sounds a little muffled to the receiver but absolutely blocks out background wind noise as the mics are turned off. I keep it in my car just for top down conversations. I paid about $150 but I believe these have been discontinued due to poor sales. That's probably is due to the inner ear sensor feels weird (it goes pretty far in and it is tiring to wear for long periods) and the price. They probably can be found on eBay for much less.
Other headsets I have are the Jawbone headsets, I've had every one since the original, and the latest is the Era ($130) which is pretty good, and will work around town speeds but not as good as the HX1 on the freeway unless you drive slower and talk loud and clear. Also fit is subjective. The great thing about the jawbone is it is A2DP which allows you to listen to music /podcast/GPS from your phone when not on a call thru the headset. It also it pretty loud and easy to hear with a lot of background noise. I use this for directions from the GPS when in the car with other people, or listening to music at work or shopping.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
The Motorola HX1 is by far the best noise canceling headset. It has two modes, but the best one uses an inner ear sensor that will transmit sound from your inner ear bones. It sounds a little muffled to the receiver but absolutely blocks out background wind noise as the mics are turned off. I keep it in my car just for top down conversations. I paid about $150 but I believe these have been discontinued due to poor sales. That's probably is due to the inner ear sensor feels weird (it goes pretty far in and it is tiring to wear for long periods) and the price. They probably can be found on eBay for much less.
Other headsets I have are the Jawbone headsets, I've had every one since the original, and the latest is the Era ($130) which is pretty good, and will work around town speeds but not as good as the HX1 on the freeway unless you drive slower and talk loud and clear. Also fit is subjective. The great thing about the jawbone is it is A2DP which allows you to listen to music /podcast/GPS from your phone when not on a call thru the headset. It also it pretty loud and easy to hear with a lot of background noise. I use this for directions from the GPS when in the car with other people, or listening to music at work or shopping.
Thanks Skrapmot,

Actually Motorola has a successor to the HX1: the Motorola FINITI. I've been reading some favorable reviews.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #8

FWIW, I've used headsets in the past, but gave up on all of them. What I do now is buy a good radio with hands free Bluetooth capabilities. Currently I use Kenwood head units as they provide GPS as well as phone capabilities. And yes, I use it quite a bit with the top down. So far, I've been able to have regular conversations and been able to hear them quite well. Based on my Q&A the recipient can hear me quite well too as I speak in to a microphone on the center console (behind the steering wheel).
Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #9

"Never go full geek"

I went full geek.

After posting in this thread I went for the Motorla FINITI based on its claims of best noise reduction and voice transmission tech. It did not live up to its claims in my opinion. Top down conversations were not possible above the speed of about 45 mph and "stealth mode" was totally worthless. The other extraneous features like voice command didn't work very well either with any wind noise. Finally the thing started cutting out and dumping my calls so I went looking for a new one.

I had read some reviews for the Blueparrott Xpressway before and it sounded pretty good. Some researchers evidently figured out that when you speak, most of the sound comes out of the large hole in the front of your head. I checked again and found complaints of insufficient battery life and others of the thing falling off. The one most universally preferred to effectively suppress background noise is the B-250 XT. The thing is it looks like something you would see on a helicopter pilot, complete with padded ear cup and boom mike with the foam cover on it. In other words, very low tech. Being entirely fed up with the high tech offerings I went for it. Here’s what I think:

Pluses: excellent volume level, better than any other device I’ve used. The padded ear cup is fairly comfortable. Noise cancellation seems good. I haven’t tried it with the top down yet but windows down at 75 mph is very clear on both ends. I believe you could even add bigger fuzzy cover. What do they call it? Dead cat?

Minuses: the thing is HUGE! You can’t stash it in the normal cubbies. It takes some skill to get it on with one hand. At the upper end of the volume range it starts to lose some clarity.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #10

Garage
Thanks for the insight on the Jabra device. The thread is a bit dated so I purchased the Jabra Freeway this afternoon and will give it a go tomorrow. My Boxster has the CDR 23 and pre-technology so the ability to do hands free, audio text messages, and get driving instructions via the radio is great and much cheaper than changing the MOST system out. Rick
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote