View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Wret

"Never go full geek"

I went full geek.

After posting in this thread I went for the Motorla FINITI based on its claims of best noise reduction and voice transmission tech. It did not live up to its claims in my opinion. Top down conversations were not possible above the speed of about 45 mph and "stealth mode" was totally worthless. The other extraneous features like voice command didn't work very well either with any wind noise. Finally the thing started cutting out and dumping my calls so I went looking for a new one.

I had read some reviews for the Blueparrott Xpressway before and it sounded pretty good. Some researchers evidently figured out that when you speak, most of the sound comes out of the large hole in the front of your head. I checked again and found complaints of insufficient battery life and others of the thing falling off. The one most universally preferred to effectively suppress background noise is the B-250 XT. The thing is it looks like something you would see on a helicopter pilot, complete with padded ear cup and boom mike with the foam cover on it. In other words, very low tech. Being entirely fed up with the high tech offerings I went for it. Here’s what I think:

Pluses: excellent volume level, better than any other device I’ve used. The padded ear cup is fairly comfortable. Noise cancellation seems good. I haven’t tried it with the top down yet but windows down at 75 mph is very clear on both ends. I believe you could even add bigger fuzzy cover. What do they call it? Dead cat?

Minuses: the thing is HUGE! You can’t stash it in the normal cubbies. It takes some skill to get it on with one hand. At the upper end of the volume range it starts to lose some clarity.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote