Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Recessed Floor Lift

Well, it's in and it works. Been busy with work and other things for past couple of weeks, spent a night or two in the garage wrapping up the project. Custom mounting the pump on the front wall (wasn't a fan of the cheesy roll around stand) entailed custom making my own bike brake cable (they are not available in 14 foot length) which was a whole 'nother project. Finally got a chance to test it out today and it works, All tallied right around $2500 for everything doing it myself with some friends.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #2

Wow, impressive! So you run the pump hose under the concrete? I'll spend all afternoon trying to figure out how you pulled that off.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

Excellent work!
I'll call you when my parts come in.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
02 box s

Wow, that looks great mark.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

I am drooling looking at it. That is top notch!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

One question I have with these scissor lifts (as I'm in the market myself).. Do they lift perfectly vertical, or does the car move forward a bit as it lifts? I would think the front of the lift stays "stationary" and the wheels move as it lifts. This would cause the whole car to move forward slightly as it lifts. Is that correct?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Wow, impressive! So you run the pump hose under the concrete? I'll spend all afternoon trying to figure out how you pulled that off.
It really was pretty simple. There is a 4" to 6" layer of gravel between the concrete floor and the mud / clay ground. After we cut and dug out the concrete, gravel then mud to a depth of 14" to 16" to accommodate a minimum of 7" worth of poured concrete, the "tunnel" for the PVC pipe was easily made by inserting the empty pipe through the gravel and withdrawing it and emptying it. Then using an immense Bosch hammer drill with a 2" coring bit (it's good to have friends in the business) drill the hole straight down where you want the pump, once you're through glue the 90 degree end on the PVC and push it through the "tunnel" aligning it with the newly cut hole. Once there, slather some glue on the upright PVC and push it into the 90 and twist, done. I will admit I pined awhile prior but that part of the project proved to be anticlimactic.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
One question I have with these scissor lifts (as I'm in the market myself).. Do they lift perfectly vertical, or does the car move forward a bit as it lifts? I would think the front of the lift stays "stationary" and the wheels move as it lifts. This would cause the whole car to move forward slightly as it lifts. Is that correct?
Very good observation, one I had myself since it would have a major bearing on hole placement. Luckily I get by the Greg Smith showroom in Indianapolis regularly for business and was in there a half a dozen times with a pad of paper and tape measure prior to starting the project, GREAT guys by the way. I once took a plumb bob with me and laid a tape measure on the ground cycling the lift up and down a few times, the rectangular platform (at least on the Atlas) did not move forward or back, vertical movement was true.

Last edited by coreseller; 03-31-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #9

That's awesome to know! I may end up going with the Atlas as well. I think they have a showroom in Austin (bout an hour drive for me) so I may have to visit them soon. My last concern is whether or no my Dad's shop has an adequate depth on the slab. I don't know how deep it is. He says it as concrete "beams" underneath, but it's not all solid everywhere That's the part that scares me... the slab requirements.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:

The car lifts straight up with no forward or backward movement.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
That's awesome to know! I may end up going with the Atlas as well. I think they have a showroom in Austin (bout an hour drive for me) so I may have to visit them soon. My last concern is whether or no my Dad's shop has an adequate depth on the slab. I don't know how deep it is. He says it as concrete "beams" underneath, but it's not all solid everywhere That's the part that scares me... the slab requirements.
Not much of an issue if you place metal strips under the roller wheels (see first picture in the first post above).
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #12

[QUOTE=coreseller;334290]It really was pretty simple. There is a 4" to 6" layer of gravel between the concrete floor and the mud / clay ground. After we cut and dug out the concrete, gravel then mud to a depth of 14" to 16" to accommodate a minimum of 7" worth of poured concrete, the "tunnel" for the PVC pipe was easily made by inserting the empty pipe through the gravel and withdrawing it and emptying it. Then using an immense Bosch hammer drill with a 2" coring bit (it's good to have friends in the business) drill the hole straight down where you want the pump, once you're through glue the 90 degree end on the PVC and push it through the "tunnel" aligning it with the newly cut hole. Once there, slather some glue on the upright PVC and push it into the 90 and twist, done. I will admit I pined awhile prior but that part of the project proved to be anticlimactic.

[

Uh, huh... here is the check and call me when it is done
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #13

[QUOTE=986_c6;334888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
It really was pretty simple. There is a 4" to 6" layer of gravel between the concrete floor and the mud / clay ground. After we cut and dug out the concrete, gravel then mud to a depth of 14" to 16" to accommodate a minimum of 7" worth of poured concrete, the "tunnel" for the PVC pipe was easily made by inserting the empty pipe through the gravel and withdrawing it and emptying it. Then using an immense Bosch hammer drill with a 2" coring bit (it's good to have friends in the business) drill the hole straight down where you want the pump, once you're through glue the 90 degree end on the PVC and push it through the "tunnel" aligning it with the newly cut hole. Once there, slather some glue on the upright PVC and push it into the 90 and twist, done. I will admit I pined awhile prior but that part of the project proved to be anticlimactic.

[

Uh, huh... here is the check and call me when it is done
Having done it once, I couldn't charge enough lol, NO WAY...........

Covered up (the 6 black things are spring loaded recessed handles to pull it up when I need to use the lift):

Need a workbench in the garage? Press a Button: