Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Garage
Clutch help - Muffler removal

Finally got some decent weather and have started my clutch project. Got to the muffler removal before I had to ask for help, so I'm pretty proud of myself for knowing how to take some nuts and bolts off.

Anyway, I have the clamps loosened, but all of the clamps are unmovable. It appears to be the original muffler (1997). I have no heat sources readily available. Is there a trick beside endless beating on them with a hammer? Or would my time be better served finding someone with a torch and buying new clamps?

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

PB Blaster... let it soak (best overnight) and it will free things up..

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
PB Blaster... let it soak (best overnight) and it will free things up..

This. Plus don't use a hammer, use a mallet, wear gloves. Jiggle, swear, and hit. Rinse, wash, and repeat.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
This. Plus don't use a hammer, use a mallet, wear gloves. Jiggle, swear, and hit. Rinse, wash, and repeat.
I cannot stress how accurate this above comment is! This will take persistence and muscle fortitude.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #5

Garage
Success! I didn't think there was any way possible for that to work. That clamp looked like it was very comfortable there, but my will overcame it. Thanks all.

Now I got another question...of course...

Any trick to getting the axles out? I started this project using the 101 tips book and they said nothing about completely removing the axles, so obviously, it's already in the air. It appears I should be able to just disconnect them from the trans and cover them up and move them out of the way.

My questions are, do I have to completely remove them and what tool is used? I don't have a good Allen wrench set and the way the boot is on there, it does not look like it's going to be easy to get a wrench in there. If someone knows what size, I can get an Allen wrench dealy thing that I can put on a ratchet with an extension and it looks like that may work. Just don't know what size to buy.

Answered one question from Pelican site. Size 8. I'll imagine that is in mm. Now do I have to drop my car off the jackstands or not?

Crap. It won't let me edit the thread title.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #6

You don't have to take it off the jack stands. In fact, don't. Just leave it up in the air.

Take the axle nuts off. If I remember right, they're over 300 lbs-ft so either be ready with a long cheater bar or get an impact. Lowes sells an electric impact for about $100. Its worth it and you'll find yourself using it all the time.

After you get the axle nut off, remove the allen screws up next to the transmission. BTW, because of the angle of the axle, the allen screws toward the back of the flange and more accessible. You can remove those two, rotate the axle until a couple more are in that position, remove those, etc until its done.

You do have to drop the exhaust to remove the axles. With the muffler out, the only thing holding the exhaust in place are the header bolts. Pull those guys out and drop the exhaust. The axle should come right out.
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
No need to remove the axles completely, just unhook at the tranny end and wire them out of the way.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote