Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Ahhh! My car was hit bad today!

I parked the 986 in front of my house at lunch and this afternoon an older lady in a Lexus ES300 rear ended it. It appears that she never braked, hit my parked car sending it into the middle of the street and then she proceeded to hit a light pole - moving the pole about 8 inches in the ground. The electric company is here now replacing the light pole.

Police, fire, and paramedics responded to the 911 call. Driver of the Lexus was awake but in shock and couldn't speak for five mins and then said that she had no idea what had happened. The paramedics took her to the hospital.

Most of the damage appears to be in the trunk and rear fenders area but the rear fenders are pushed forward enough that they are hitting the doors. The top is also pushed forward so its slightly bowed up. Surprisingly, the engine started and I was able to drive it into the driveway but it seemed to crab and not track straight.

I called her insurance company this evening and expect to hear from them on Monday.

Friends, cheer me up. I am pretty bummed out. I think that I'll go watch some Johnny Danger Workout videos to cheer myself up.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I parked the 986 in front of my house at lunch and this afternoon an older lady in a Lexus ES300 rear ended it. It appears that she never braked, hit my parked car sending it into the middle of the street and then she proceeded to hit a light pole - moving the pole about 8 inches in the ground. The electric company is here now replacing the light pole.

Police, fire, and paramedics responded to the 911 call. Driver of the Lexus was awake but in shock and couldn't speak for five mins and then said that she had no idea what had happened. The paramedics took her to the hospital.

Most of the damage appears to be in the trunk and rear fenders area but the rear fenders are pushed forward enough that they are hitting the doors. The top is also pushed forward so its slightly bowed up. Surprisingly, the engine started and I was able to drive it into the driveway but it seemed to crab and not track straight.

I called her insurance company this evening and expect to hear from them on Monday.

Friends, cheer me up. I am pretty bummed out. I think that I'll go watch some Johnny Danger Workout videos to cheer myself up.

Toast. So sorry for your loss....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Sorry to say but I hope insurance totals the car for you to give you some options...

Best of luck.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

Wow that sucks. We all will mourn your loss. After your stomach settles, its time for a boxster search! Enjoy the test rides!
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
So sorry for your loss.
You probably don't want that repaired, as things likely won't be the same (mechanically and emotionally) when all is said and done.
I hope you get a decent payout and can replace it with something at least as nice as it was.
Best of luck.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #6

Garage
Wow. So sorry to see that happen to your beautiful ride. As others have mentioned, hope you get a great settlement from your insurance company so you can spend some time finding something perfect. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #7

RIP...so sorry for your loss.

fellas, I'm pretty sure he knows it's totaled. It's just a matter of settling on value.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Dang! Sorry man.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

Garage
Man, that sucks! Sorry for your loss. Sometimes after it is all said and done you come out on top with these sort of things. Stick to your guns and make sure the insurance co treats you right. Trying to look on the bright side, sometimes it's fun to car shop. Good luck with your search.
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

This is horrible.I'm so sorry 4 u.What the Hell was she thinking!!!!!!!!!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
thstone - Hope it all works out. Sorry for your lose.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Garage
Geebez, that's awful. Find out who the old lady is and I'll send The Mantis after her ! In the meantime, if you'd like I cans end Eneida nu Bra over to console you.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Damn hell, that sucks man.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Boxster 1999

Garage
Sorry to see this, I hope it turns out good for you!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

Time for a new 2013.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #16

Hopefully insurance does good. 987 or 981, I guess
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #17

Say it isn't so Thstone!!!! Sorry and as always, at least you weren't anywhere near the car when the tornado struck.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #18

Sorry bout your situation thstone, but as others have stated, at least you weren't in the car when it happened. Hopefully the lady will be ok also.

Make the best of the situation, use the insurance money and shop wisely for a replacement taking into account what you now know regarding Boxsters vs. before buying the last one.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #19

Very sorry, that sucks. Good thing no one got injured. Look on the bright side, Porsche shopping is SO fun.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #20

Oh my! That's deflating. You'd put so much work into it. Best of luck with the settlement or abrogation.

Three years ago I parked where I always do when working out in the morning with a friend: on the curb in front of his subdivision street. Thankfully I had driven the Element that morning. You know, the bright green six-and-a-half-foot tall Element. A 16YO driver in a CR-V ran slap into the back of it with no sign of a brake ever touched. Said the sun blinded her. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it drove my car up over the curbing, across the yard about 20 feet, and destroyed my friend's huge brick mailbox, causing both the front and rear of the Element to be totalled!

Good news? I had put 3 years and 23,000 miles on the car and they paid me $1100 less than I had paid for it. I was quite happy with the financials -- just didn't want the hassle of replacing a perfectly good Element with another one.

NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote