Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
I don't get it....

Doing what I do a lot - that is browsing through the new car ads for the Boxster. Wondering why there are so many PDK transmissions on the 2013 Boxsters as opposed to manual transmissions. Not that I want to buy a new one now but Porsche must think they are going to sell lots of PDK Boxsters. I can understand if you live in a large city like LA or New York but the smaller cities I would take a manual trans. and save $3k in the process. Who is going to buy all these PDKs? Your thoughts please?

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #2

Could be a sign of an aging demographic. I would prefer a manual transmission, but as I get older and my knees get progressively worse I may find that I have no choice but to make the swap to PDK.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #3

Baby boomers are getting older and Asians can't drive.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

Oh No!
Not another PDK discussion :dance:
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

Face it guys, without getting into racial comments, "automated sequential gear boxes" (read PDK) are the way the world is moving. Try buying one of the newer super cars from someone like Ferrari with a true manual gearbox in it......you simply can't.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

You can only get a new Porsche Turbo S with PDK. I am afraid in time a six speed stick will be hard to find.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

Garage
Economy of scale. To get a better price on any part you want to have made you have to commit to buy a certain amount, the more you buy the cheaper it is. Porsche then convinces their dealers to order PDKs for their stock.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
That's because Americans only race us in straight lines
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Economy of scale. To get a better price on any part you want to have made you have to commit to buy a certain amount, the more you buy the cheaper it is. Porsche then convinces their dealers to order PDKs for their stock.
Actually, the gearbox section of a PDK is exactly the same as the conventional seven speed manual unit, the PDK just has a wet dual clutch setup and electronic controls. So economy of scale does not come into play.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #10

PDK is an automatic. Many people don't know how to drive "a stick shift". By offering automatic Porsches they can sell a lot more cars to people who wouldn't ordinarily put a Boxster or a Cayman at the top of their list. Namely women who for the most part, of course not all, avoid anything that isn't automatic while their incomes have been steadily climbing in the professional ranks. Porsche can't leave money on the table, they have to bring in more of these female buyers who have the means.

The other thing, the Boxster is not a chick car. Never has been -- nor any typically manually equipped roadster. The Boxster is largely an older man's car. A car that he buys once the kids are out of the house. While they're still in the house he buys a Carrera, two adults in the front and two young kids in the back. Older men are not as opposed to the stick shift as women, but if offered convenience or old school, most will choose convenience. Automatic Porsches reel in more female and older buyers no doubt about it.
Outside of North America, I feel most self-made wealthy learned to drive a stick shift well before the typical American. So I'm not so sure that PDK is intended to cater to Chinese billionaires so much as the brand prestiege will lure them in.

The third element is getting their money back on this strangely engineered PDK contraption that even Porsche mechanics don't know so well. At this point they've probably hit that mark and its all gravy from here forward. Equipping a Boxster, Panamera Coupe (aka Carrera) or Panamera sedan with PDK over 7 speed allows Porsche to do what they do best, mark up/inflate the price of car for a customer base that buys first and looks at the bill later. And for the really high end and powerful, like the GT3, I'm thinking that a PDK equipped car will lead to a healthier drivetrain since it won't be mistreated by the driver as much, at those repair prices I can live with a 991 PDK GT3 RS 4.0

The fact that an automatic Porsche is now quicker around places like the N-ring than a 7 mt is just extra sugar on top for Porsche's marketing department.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that in about a year or two Porsche is going to let it out that those paddles on the side of the steering really never were connected to anything. Strictly for novelty purposes, like some non-functioning gauge on your dash or non-functioning air inlet on the bodwork. The car was already starting the upshift or downshift by the time you clicked that PDK paddle. But it makes the driver feel like he's still at the party. It will be a huge brew-ha ha.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-22-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #11

A Moment of Silence

Let us all face Stuttgart and offer a silent prayer that Boxsters will always be available with manual transmissions.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

the GT3 will only be available with PDK and electronic steering.

“We wanted the most emotional car with the most driver involvement we could produce, because nobody needs a GT3. What we’ve ended up with is a system that feels like a full-on race car sequential transmission. We honestly believe that there’s nothing a traditional manual gearbox can give you that this PDK can’t.” - Andreas Preuninger, Porsche’s head of GT Production
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
Let us all face Stuttgart and offer a silent prayer that Boxsters will always be available with manual transmissions.

^ I think the 981 will be the last. The 991 GT3 is already PDK only. Pretty crazy when you think about the fact that the average GT3 track junky will only buy a GT3 and they loathe the idea of an automatic GT3. Yet that's exactly what they have to buy now. But then again the average GT3 buyer is neither a track junky nor are they attending a high performance driving school.
Porsche as brand gets a lot more credit for having "purists" as drivers than they really deserve. Most buyers are simply after the perceived exclusivity and have little real knowledge of the brand's racing history. At some point the Carrera simply became a luxury car for many buyers and the introduction of the Cayenne brought in tons of mainstream buyers. Nothing wrong with either, Porsche have profits to make. Although Steve McQueen would hardly recognize these big, wide, long cars on SUV sized wheels anymore.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
the GT3 will only be available with PDK and electronic steering.

“...We honestly believe that there’s nothing a traditional manual gearbox can give you that this PDK can’t.” - Andreas Preuninger, Porsche’s head of GT Production
^ amazing. How about a direct connection with the transmission Dr. P?
And I don't even have an engineering degree...
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #15

Come on guys, you really shouldn't feel emasculated by a technological development that make car both faster and more consistent. How many of you have actually driven one, particularly a high HP car like the Turbo? They really are a delight to drive at the limit.

I really don't care what other think about what I drive or race, only that it is the quickest out there....
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #16

Ekam; Asian can't drive....offended

Last edited by lifeisgood; 03-22-2013 at 10:04 AM.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #17

I got to drive a number of paddle shift wonders instructing for Imagine Lifestyles Driving experience ...... in auto sport Mod ...WaaaaaaaaaaaWhoooooooooo
I really did not miss the manual shifting... more energy and concentration can be channeled towards awareness, braking and throttle control. I am curious to see the durability for regularly tracked cars and/or the repair costs

01 Boxster S
02 S Hulkster
98670914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Asians can't drive??? come on have you seen Fast and Furious; Tokyo Drift...lol
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Come on guys, you really shouldn't feel emasculated by a technological development that make car both faster and more consistent. How many of you have actually driven one, particularly a high HP car like the Turbo? They really are a delight to drive at the limit.

I really don't care what other think about what I drive or race, only that it is the quickest out there....
I have to respectfully disagree. Driven PDK on both street and track and I hate them. Even with the paddles you might as well just put it in Auto and get on the cell phone and let the car do the work for you.

Looking forward, a fully robotic car that requires no human driver and is faster than any human isn't far off. I'll hate that even more.

The deal is, I came to drive, not spectate while the computer drives for me.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-22-2013 at 11:27 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Actually, the gearbox section of a PDK is exactly the same as the conventional seven speed manual unit, the PDK just has a wet dual clutch setup and electronic controls. So economy of scale does not come into play.
I have been singing this tune to the detractors for months. Trying to explain that there is a difference between an automated manual and "manumatic" is like banging you head against a wall... I enjoy PDK a great deal. I'm not ready to give up my clutch pedal yet, but that's my own hang up. I like the gratification that comes with a well executed heal and toe. However I freely admit that with PDK the car simply relieves the driver of the throttle and clutch work and executes both of those functions both faster and smoother than I ever could...and with absolute consistency.

So what I don't get is why people poo poo PDK so much. I was skeptical before I drove one, but was open to the possibilities.

While I look forward to improvements in the driver interface (I'm not a huge fan of +\- stick action), the electronic actuator of the gearbox is a fantastic piece of technology and it will only get better.

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote