Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #21

Always a great debate. But if I was going for the seat of the pants feel (not acceleration mind you, but being one with the car and road), the Boxster is hands down one of the best drivers car.

I have driven many 911's and are plenty fast, but I always go back in the seat of my Boxster and go "Ah, just feels right."

For those arguing the $ factor or HP factor, don't. I have plenty of those and they don't matter jack to me...my fav car hands down is the 986 Boxster base.

Good for you 2000s!

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #22

Garage
[QUOTE=blue2000s;333293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post

That's not my experience. The engine is strong before boost, certainly stronger than the 986 even, but there is a very noticeable pause after heavy throttle movement before the real power comes on. Typical turbo behavior.
The TT you were in is not Stock!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #23

it's funny how my view of Porsche has changed in the last decade. When I first saw the 996 Turbo my first thought was that you could park that next to a Ferrari all day long.

Now I think, a Porsche turbo out of warranty? Pass.
PDK out of warranty? No thanks already ate.
Center lock wheels that have be serviced every 40K miles? Maybe next time.
PCCB? swap in the old school ones and we have a deal!
996/997/991 Carrera Turbo depreciation that could buy a used 997 outright? still a b1tch..

I don't have nearly the romantic view of high end Porsche cars that I once did.
These days it seems more like a liability/money pit.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-25-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #24

Not different league, totally different league. Trying to compare that is like comparing a Miata to a 2.5 Boxster. Very similar/very different.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
I think trying to compare an old Boxster 986 to a 996 Turbo is like trying to compare a stock 911 to a GT3. Wishful thinking at best. They are in completely different classes.

The gap has closed since the introduction of the 981 and the 991, but it's still there.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love our cars. But having driven the 996TT many times, there is no way that ours can compare.
I'm yer huckleberry...

3 Droptop Porsches at Putnam Park - YouTube

(Skip to 3:20 for the pass.)

KYPCA Blue (Advanced) Run Group, Putnam Park, September 2012.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S View Post
I'm yer huckleberry...

Hey, you can't do that, your car isn't in the same league as the 996TT
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Hey, you can't do that, your car isn't in the same league as the 996TT
To act as if they were is simply a joke.......two COMPLETELY different cars. I'd take a 996TT over two 986's any day. Not trying to start anything, just wanted to point out the obvious......

BTW.....for those of you with 986's looking to get offended....I'd suggest you ride in a 996TT then comment. Yes, I use to own a 986 S.

Last edited by coreseller; 03-28-2013 at 09:04 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #28
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
BTW.....for those of you with 986's looking to get offended....I'd suggest you ride in a 996TT then comment. Yes, I use to own a 986 S.
That's exactly what started this thread. There's nothing more special about the turbo except the thrust. If you want to feel like the turbo car is somehow special because it simply cost more than the Boxster, that's your prerogative, but I don't think so. Not everyone buys a Boxster because they can't afford a 911.

I don't simply put cars with more power into any kind of special category. If I did, the 996tt would be in a box with the new Shelby Mustang and supercharged Camaro.

Last edited by blue2000s; 03-29-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #29

Quote:
That's exactly what started this thread. There's nothing more special about the turbo except the thrust. If you want to feel like the turbo car is somehow special because it simply cost more than the Boxster, that's your prerogative, but I don't think so. Not everyone buys a Boxster because they can't afford a 911.

I don't simply put cars with more power into any kind of special category. If I did, the 996tt would be in a box with the new Shelby Mustang and supercharged Camaro.
We all think differently brother, if we all thought and felt the same it would be a pretty boring world......

Regarding the increased power comment, I believe on that one you are in the minority and frankly I pretty much agree with you. But with every model line there is a hierarchy and the top dog (most expensive) always has more power than the base, whether or not people need or use it is a different question though.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #30
Track rat

Garage
Different perspectives are interesting. In 2005 I was shopping for my first Porsche and thought I would naturally pick out a nice 996 TT just off lease. The money was in the bank so no payments were involved but after driving a few I didn't like it. I drove a few 911SC and liked them much better, drove a few Boxsters and liked them the best for my needs (simple weekend joy ride with modern creature comforts).

After driving several 996/997 TT on race tracks over the last few years I have merely confirmed my choice. It is a very nice car for someone else but not for me. I am certain I will never own one. Now GT3RS??? Very different story.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #31
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
We all think differently brother, if we all thought and felt the same it would be a pretty boring world......
I agree with you. Subjective opinions aren't universal, no matter how much of the world I control.

Last edited by blue2000s; 03-29-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #32

different - yes. one better than the other (different 'league' or whatever) - no. interiors are the same. front ends mostly the same. difference really only in price and power. I can afford both, so it depends on how i use it. I personally couldn't use a turbo. I have no need to race between stoplights. I have no need to break the speed limit on the road, and this is reinforced by the few tentative points I have remaining on my licence. the fastest road around here is 110 kph and the box will do this just fine. the only thrills I get are keeping speed through the corners and going to the track. for this the 986 is better.

for me the 986 has purpose, the turbo doesn't. if there is a different 'league' for impracticality then the turbo is in it.

note that, if the car was my daily driver, if I lived in a city, if there were a different set of circumstances, what I define as impractical would be different. given that, I am hard pressed to say that one is 'better' than the other.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #33

I wouldn't mind a Turbo engine in the 986. It can keep the understeer.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #34

Quote:
I agree with you. Subjective opinions aren't universal, no matter how much of the world I control.
Good Lord!! Now we have a West Coast version of JD...........
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S View Post
I'm yer huckleberry...

Driver error not taken into account
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
interiors are the same. front ends mostly the same. difference really only in price and power.
Interiors are NOT the same. 911s have much better build quality. From the leather, to the little door pocket covers. Everything in the 911 juts feels more special.

Front end may look the same, but that's about as far as it goes. 911 has a wider stance. The fender flares stand out more.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Now GT3RS??? Very different story.
Hopefully, one of those WILL be in my garage one of these days! Grey with red accents and wheels please...
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #38

for $200 I can put 996 leather door cards in a 986. 996 has same brakes, uprights, etc., as 986s. 996tt has bigger front brakes, but just because it's a fat, heavy car bloated with options like electric seats, nav, etc., and needs the bigger brakes to deal with the additional mass. if that makes a car for you buy a Cadillac.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #39

+1 on interiors being the same b/t 986/996.

Hypothetically, if you plopped someone without the roof into either a 986 or 996 driver seat blindfolded, then it would take that person quite some time to figure out which car it is (a dead giveaway would be the 5-gauge pods as opposed to the 3-gauge pods, but assume only 3 pods for both cars and you had to look elsewhere to find the difference).
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Interiors are NOT the same. 911s have much better build quality. From the leather, to the little door pocket covers. Everything in the 911 juts feels more special.
incorrect. Part numbers on virtually every single item in the 986 interior come from the 996 Carrera parts bin. You are confusing premium 911 interior items with standard 911 interior items. For instance, I have many interior items that were not included in the 996 Turbo unless the original owner specifically spec'd his build with those upgrades.

From the seats forward a Boxster is basically a 1999-2001 Carrera. When the Boxster was being designed it was designed simultaneously with next generation Carrera that would replace the 993 Carrera. The concept was "one design for two cars". The plan was to introduce both at the same time but Porsche was so close to bankruptcy that they had to release the Boxster much earlier since people began putting deposits on the Boxster the minute it was unveiled. Which pissed off the Carrera team at Porsche because the first modern Porsche would look just like Boxster that was already being sold for two years. The Carrera team asked for different headlights but were rejected that's how broke they were. The compromise was that the Carrera got a slightly different front bumper. The only things not on the Boxster that aren't Carrera, are the things that could not physically fit. If you include the engine as one part, the 986 is basically "70% Carrera" by part number with the added benefit of having the engine in the right place. oh and to your point about build quality, the Boxster S got thicker cylinder walls less prone to cracking unlike the non-S C2 Carrera.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-30-2013 at 08:45 AM.