Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Stripped brake line flare nut...damn it !!!

So the boxster is up on the axle stands today...wheels off and had a good wash under the arches while there..

Ahh will do the Stainless Goodridge lines first i thought...then pads and rotors
and then get my shiny new wheels on .................

9mm and 11mm Flare nut wrenches in hand and a good dose of WD40 lube...
two lines went fine..no problem but despite using proper wrench have managed to strip the flange off one of the nuts
Have tried some vice grips but still not budging!! at the moment
Have called it a day...miffed...gave another good shot of penetrating lube and will attack again in the morning...

Any ideas on shifting this nut?? cleaned the lines down too before starting, and clean enough to eat yr dinner on under there...only done 40k
Thinking heating it up ??

GOOD TIP OF THE DAY;
Give under your wheel arches a good coat of silicone ( i use stuff for car tyre walls, i buy it in 5ltr cans from valet suppliers) be careful and make sure you cover up yr rotors.. Brings the black wheel arch liners up a treat and repels dirt and water like a treat.....
Now those bloody brake pipes.....Grrrrrrr

Last edited by Porsche Pete; 03-17-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Porsche Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

Hey Pete, I know you've done a lot of this kind of work, but what kind of flare wrenches are you using? Any but the best will spread under load and round the fittings. Basically, if you don't have Snap-On flare wrenches then toss them dustbin where they belong and spend the big bucks to get yourself a proper set.

For you existing problem, try a tool that tightens under load, like a small 6" pipe wrench. I think you guys call them Stillson wrenches? Again, you'll need top quality with sharp jaws (like Rigid) or you'll just make it worse.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #3

Yep you are dead right there....
You know i have a whole rolling cabinet of Snap On tools have bought over the years
loads of stuff....but hey NO flare wrenches would u believe it ! ;(

So yes made the BIG mistake of driving down to local accessory shop and bought 2 of their `own brand`....junk....!!!!!!!!!

Shame that Snap On isnt available over the counter over here...but through a sales rep franchise set up...will take that junk back and find some off of Ebay

In the meantime pipe wrench sounds good idea....thanks 4 yr help..!!
Can get on with the rest then.....
Anyone know what torque setting the brake caliper bolts are ?
I can then set with my Snap On torque wrench..........!!!!!!! Got one of those ! Lol
Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

Cool

9mm and 11mm Flare nut wrenches in hand and a good dose of WD40 lube...
two lines went fine..no problem but despite using proper wrench have managed to strip the flange off one of the nuts.

I renewed my discs and hoses last year, also renewed the piston seals in the calipers. Removing the old hoses was the hardest job though, because of the UK weather. What I did with mine was, take a center punch and punch a good center on the nut. Then put the center punch in and angle it slightly away from the way it unscrews. Now keeping pressure on the punch strike it with a hammer. I have shifted a lot of nuts and bolts this way.
Sometimes you cannot do this because of were it is located. In these instances I have used a Dremel with a small cutting disc to do it. Obviously great care would be needed if you use this method.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Actually, think it's 10 and 11mm wrenches you need - 11 for the bleeder, and 10 for the brake line fitting, or at least that's what it was on my car.

Torque specs (Thanks Pedro!)
• Brake to rotor hub .......................................... 7.5 ft-lb (10 Nm)
• Brake caliper to wheel bearing carrier ............ 63 ft-lb (85 Nm)
• Brake line bracket to wheel bearing carrier.... 7.5 ft-lb (10 Nm)
• Wheel to wheel hub ........................................96 ft-lb (130Nm)
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #6

Yes of course 10mm and 11mm wrenches...Having a senior moment!

So this morning sun was shining and life was good again..Managed to shift the rear nut so 3 Shiny brake lines on now.. Hoorah!

The front O/S has given up the ghost, so took whole assembly off from back of the caliper and ordered a short hard line from Porsche (£11.00) so not too bad
Thats going to be a couple of days to come in, so after i had finished drooling at the NEW BOXSTER`S` 2013...What a machine in black................

I went back to fit one of the new rotors on....the old one looked a mess once i had got it out and on the deck...shame as there was still plenty of life in the pads.

Have given the rotor top hats and edges a lick of Alum heat paint as these get rusty quickly....and i am a tart !! Looking good

Fitting new EBC Red Stuff pads...I havent come across these dampening discs (shims) before. They look in good condition so guess i can re use these ?
I guess they will have to be fitted into the pistons first and then the pads slide down into the caliper? They did seem to be stuck to the sides of the old pads with something??..

So problem resolved...hopefully ..The back of the lines dont sit so tight in the holders so squezed the metal spring like clips together a bit which improved it..

The heavens have opened up now...raining again...so thats that for today...

However the parcel man did turn up with my new trolley jack.....Bargain off of Amazon £150.!! retails at £350 over here !!!

Will continue tomorrow if it keeps dry !! Oh a pic of the car with the new clear lights, and amberectomy......

Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #7

Wow - that's some serious looking floor jack! What's the lift range?

Sucks working outside, eh? (not as bad as it would suck if you lived here, mind you) Would it be worth the trouble of getting a big tarp and setting up a canopy to work under?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

Yeah pleased with the jack 500mm max lift..wanted a low profile to go under the Box with jack adaptor

Moved house few years back now and had a lovely double garage there. painted walls and floor and fitted low level lighting too....miss that garage..

Was building a Cobra at the time 5.7 chevvy small block...made a move and mortgage free now...sadly the cars gone too

The cars not a daily driver so no great hurry...but wish this weather would brighten up...got to get back to work and stop messing with the car
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #9

Rotors on Pads in Stainless lines fitted too

So fresh day today...The rotors have gone in fine, Red Stuff pads were a squeeze but gone in fine. Decided to fit the dampening pads and have re used them, they looked in good condition

Have even touched up a couple of chips on the `S` calipers...rummage through an old modelling box and found a perfect match for the colour..
Small pot of enamel Paint code is red 19 or X7...looking good

Will bleed the system and do a fluid change tomorrow with my new `Motive power Bleeder` recently imported!!
and then get the new wheels on at last..!!
#