Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here is an easy way to learn to learn to do this;

Find a quiet, flat street. With the engine idling, let out the clutch and get the car moving SMOOTHLY without using any throttle. That's it. Do this sucessfully about 10 times and you'll be 10x smoother when using the throttle.

This technique will force you to learn where the clutch engagement point is and how to hold it there in order to get the car moving smoothly. If you move the clutch in one continuous movement, you won't pause at the clutch engagement point and you'll have a jerky start or kill the engine.

Once you have the feel of this technique with no throttle, its a snap to use it with the throttle and you'll be banging off smooth starts without worry.
This is dead on. I taught my kids to drive this way, and they got it pretty quickly. They are still a little jerky because they don't drive the Porsche regularly and it is the only stick in the family.

Once you know where the clutch "grabs" it makes everything else pretty thought free. Don't over think it.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
Awesome posts guys, I've been practicing and feeling better.

A question: for you guys with a lot of manual experience, do even you sometimes get in an uncomfortable position once in a while?

By this I mean stall at a light, get caught on a big hill start with someone right up to your bumper, or just a general unsmooth shift.
I've been driving a manual for 29 years. Learned on a 1974 911 (there is a tough clutch). With the exception of about two years I have always driven a manual transmition.

With that said, about two weeks ago I was in a parking lot with my wife. Stopped at a stop sign....Stalled! She laughed at me (even though she can't drive a stick), I started the car and went about my day. I am willing to bet it happens to everybody (except maybe Mr. Danger)

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #23

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
I've been driving a manual for 29 years. Learned on a 1974 911 (there is a tough clutch).
yep, a lot of older 911's are like that. clutch is engaged or not, there is no slip.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote