Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Still having horn issue...

I've posted about this once before. Here is the situation:

2002S

My horn does not work for the most part with the ignition switch in the "on" position, execpt for on rare occasions. It does however work with the key in the off position. I have replaced the ignition switch and it's not solved the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is it normal for the horn to work without the key in the ignition?

Is it normal for the horn to work with the key in the "off" position?

Would it possible for me to bypass the ignition switch all together?

Thanks in advance!

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

My car is an 01S. The horn beeps with no key in the ignition, the key in the off position, and the key in the on position.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Interesting... If that's the case, I can't imagine why the ignition is even wired into the circuit. I am even more confused now!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

bump... Still seeking learned advice!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

2 horns

i had intermitent horn issues with my 02 s. After almost being side swiped because they could not hear my horn,had my indi look at it. i told him you cant hear it and it works when it wants to..He diagnosed the problem and told me it has 2 horns one, not working, one only half. Replaced both no problems since, except drivers window regulator, frunk actuator, aos, maf both visor lids, p sterring fluid with intermitent grind in steering rack,etc.. love the car! BUY IT DRIVE IT BREAK IT FIX IT 02 S 110,000 plus.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #6

I had an issue years ago with a 2001 Boxster where the horn would work with the ignition off but when the car was started, the horn would not work. If I recall correctly the horn ground was the issue. The horn would find a ground with the ignition off but once the car was running, the ground disappeared. My mechanic discovered a broken wire coming off of the horn button where the wire makes a 90 degree angle. He fixed the wire and the horn worked normally. The issue was discussed on either this forum or the old PPBB. If you do a search you should find more info.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by linklaw View Post
I had an issue years ago with a 2001 Boxster where the horn would work with the ignition off but when the car was started, the horn would not work. If I recall correctly the horn ground was the issue. The horn would find a ground with the ignition off but once the car was running, the ground disappeared. My mechanic discovered a broken wire coming off of the horn button where the wire makes a 90 degree angle. He fixed the wire and the horn worked normally. The issue was discussed on either this forum or the old PPBB. If you do a search you should find more info.
That is exactly my symptom!!!! Thank you!