986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Still having horn issue... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43289-still-having-horn-issue.html)

shadrach74 02-23-2013 02:22 PM

Still having horn issue...

I've posted about this once before. Here is the situation:

2002S

My horn does not work for the most part with the ignition switch in the "on" position, execpt for on rare occasions. It does however work with the key in the off position. I have replaced the ignition switch and it's not solved the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is it normal for the horn to work without the key in the ignition?

Is it normal for the horn to work with the key in the "off" position?

Would it possible for me to bypass the ignition switch all together?

Thanks in advance!

thom4782 02-23-2013 05:41 PM

My car is an 01S. The horn beeps with no key in the ignition, the key in the off position, and the key in the on position.

shadrach74 02-23-2013 06:14 PM

Interesting... If that's the case, I can't imagine why the ignition is even wired into the circuit. I am even more confused now!

shadrach74 02-25-2013 01:12 PM

bump... Still seeking learned advice!

nicecar 02-25-2013 03:33 PM

2 horns

i had intermitent horn issues with my 02 s. After almost being side swiped because they could not hear my horn,had my indi look at it. i told him you cant hear it and it works when it wants to..He diagnosed the problem and told me it has 2 horns one, not working, one only half. Replaced both no problems since, except drivers window regulator, frunk actuator, aos, maf both visor lids, p sterring fluid with intermitent grind in steering rack,etc.. love the car! BUY IT DRIVE IT BREAK IT FIX IT 02 S 110,000 plus.

linklaw 02-25-2013 03:41 PM

I had an issue years ago with a 2001 Boxster where the horn would work with the ignition off but when the car was started, the horn would not work. If I recall correctly the horn ground was the issue. The horn would find a ground with the ignition off but once the car was running, the ground disappeared. My mechanic discovered a broken wire coming off of the horn button where the wire makes a 90 degree angle. He fixed the wire and the horn worked normally. The issue was discussed on either this forum or the old PPBB. If you do a search you should find more info.

shadrach74 02-25-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linklaw (Post 328998)
I had an issue years ago with a 2001 Boxster where the horn would work with the ignition off but when the car was started, the horn would not work. If I recall correctly the horn ground was the issue. The horn would find a ground with the ignition off but once the car was running, the ground disappeared. My mechanic discovered a broken wire coming off of the horn button where the wire makes a 90 degree angle. He fixed the wire and the horn worked normally. The issue was discussed on either this forum or the old PPBB. If you do a search you should find more info.

That is exactly my symptom!!!! Thank you!