Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Water on INSIDE of windshield.... now carpets wet!

I had the box sitting on the driveway in late fall until I had the garage cleaned up to put the car to sleep for winter time. I noticed the inside of the window would be wet on cold days. I have never seen a car do this. Is this something to do with it being a convertible? I don't get it.

The car has smelled musty the last few days and today I went to start it up as it has not been run in the last 3 months. I was spraying febreeze on the carpet and when I lefted the floor mats, the carpet was wet. I moved the seat forward and it was drenched behind the seat. I reached under the seat and there was probably 1 inch of water.

What the heck is going on! Also, I should mention, I had all the drain holes cleaned this summer and fall, I doubt it is that!

The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

There is a leak somewhere. Water is getting in and the vapor condenses on the inside of the windows on a cold day. Nothing special about a convertible - unless your top is leaking.

Check the front and rear drain holes again, they can clog up with just one perfectly placed leaf. If the drains are ok, then get out the water hose and do a step by step check of the entire car with one person inside the car checking for water and someone else outside spraying the water. Move methodically so you can spot the source when you see it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

Is the carpet soaked on the driver side? If the driver side is wet, you may want to remove the immobilizer before it gets water inside of it and prevents the car from starting.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #4

Garage
Another cause can be the foam plastic drain trays on the sides under the top. If they get damaged (i.e. ripped), water will also get into the car even if the drains themselves are not clogged.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #5

Garage
I am also having a water leak issue. I have replaced the plastic drain trays on the passengers side under the top. I can see where the water is getting in. It's like the it just pours over the tray over the seatbelt mechanism. The tray drain plug is clear but its almost like I might be missing a part or something. It's the same on both sides. Here are some pictures. The first pictures shows where the water is coming inside from the outside. The 2nd poor picture is the drain tray and the their picture is where it spills over the seatbelt mechanism into the passengers seat area.

jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccash View Post
I am also having a water leak issue. I have replaced the plastic drain trays on the passengers side under the top. I can see where the water is getting in. It's like the it just pours over the tray over the seatbelt mechanism. The tray drain plug is clear but its almost like I might be missing a part or something. It's the same on both sides. Here are some pictures. The first pictures shows where the water is coming inside from the outside. The 2nd poor picture is the drain tray and the their picture is where it spills over the seatbelt mechanism into the passengers seat area.
Aside from the two drain holes at the bottom of each drain tray (below the V-levers), there are also two drain holes INSIDE the channels into which each side of the clamshell slides over. If those drains clog, rain (or hose) water will overflow quickly into the area near the seat belt mechanism.

You will find the drain holes at each forwardmost outboard corner of the channel, ahead of the small plastic height adjustment mechanism. Those drain holes empty into a tube that terminates on the outside of the forward part of each rear wheel, under the small plastic wheel liner. The water should drain just forward of the rear wheel if the drain is clear.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #7

Garage
Thank you, I'll look into this today. JC

jccash is offline   Reply With Quote