Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #21

Very nice and clean!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #22

You look younger than I would have thought.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasotten View Post
Some Fotos of the car. I started cleaning it up with a clay bar all around.

Car looks great! Where'd you find a silver one?
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #24

I didn't see if you got a time estimate to replace the IMSB - it's roughly 10 hours.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #25

Welcome Thomas! Bought my first Porsche last August and it looks just like yours;Boxster Red interior and all.

I went ahead and did the LN improved IMS bearing and a new rear main seal and clutch just for peace of mind.

Mine has 60,000 miles and when we took it apart it for the install,it looked ok.Just plan on some bucks each year for maintenance and drive it fast and smooth! Love mine.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Here's mine
I see Fuchs but no Porsche hood crest?

btw, your Boxster photos reminds me of the day I picked up my 2000 S. Bone stock. It was on their trade-in showroom (Acura dealer) with barely 9K miles and not a crease in the driver's side leather. After watching Tiff Needell sliding it around their test track on a Fifth Gear epsiode where they declared it the best pure sports car I was looking for a silver and red S model to test drive a week later. Drove a few C2 996 Carreras in between. Within days the silver and red Boxsters shows up less than 15 minutes away in perfect condition. The sales guy was on the job barely a week and I warned him ahead of time that after a ten minute tire/engine warm up the test drive portion would begin in earnest. Being a rare car for a trade-in he wasn't familiar at all with the car and I could see his eyes getting bigger and bigger as the engine sound filled the cabin. SOLD. I remember thinking "why would you ever need a Carrera if this S does everything you need for $10K less"? The dealer held onto onto the Boxster S on their showroom while I sold my previous car which took all of five days. The buyer flew up from Florida, I picked him up at the airport and he drove me to pick up the Boxster. I remember filling up the tank on my old car as a parting gesture. Cost was $1.98 per gallon! That was in 2004.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-19-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
Car looks great! Where'd you find a silver one?

Yes, I am so happy with it, not only did I get a good deal, I picked up the elusive silver/red combo. Seriously, it has always been my favorite combo.

Bone stock? Actually, my father, who found the car for me, replaced the red floor mats with black ones.

What I like about this car:
1. The looks. I think the design is classic and therefore timeless. I don't buy this bit about 987 makes 986 look dated. I have seen that comment in some of the discussions. Each design is different, but not necessarily better looking. Before being an owner I thought the 987 was not necessarily an improvement. That was my then unbiased opinion.
2. The power.
3. The sound.
4. Lack of cup holders.
5. Attention the car draws.
6. The car is cleaning up real well. Even stains in the leather I can eventually rub out. Will need some paintless dent removal help for about 4 dings.

What I don't like
1. Stereo - While it certainly has potential, I haven't found a way to "tune it in". I like the Bose system in my 01 Beetle. Is there an owner's manual in PDF form somewhere?
2. I am 6'4 and could use just one more notch worth of backward seat travel.
3. Will have to invest several hours with IMS so not to worry so much.
4. While the A/C and heater work, the fan doesn't start blowing immediately. Sometimes it takes upward of 10 minutes and then it comes on. Ideas?
thomasotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #28

Well he did say his dad found the car for him!
Sarandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #29

Welcome Thomas. As far as your fan coming on, I think it is a function of where you set your desired interior temp. at. My wife complains that the AC comes on to maintain cabin temp. in winter and doesn't like the feel of the cold air.. Others more knowledgeable about these things can surely give you a more accurate answer. Try varying your temp. setting to see if it helps. Again, welcome.

AKL

Quote:
Yes, I am so happy with it, not only did I get a
4. While the A/C and heater work, the fan doesn't start blowing immediately. Sometimes it takes upward of 10 minutes and then it comes on. Ideas?

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote