Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
still plays with cars...

Garage
Dumbest accident I've ever seen...

The lady across the way was reversing out of her garage and running late to pick up her kids after school just as a family friend was pulling (probably too quickly) into the driveway.
Wasn't even all the way out of her garage and WHAM!
Yeah, she rear-ended a car in her own driveway.
Try explaining that one to the fuzz and your insurance agent.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation

Last edited by BoxsterSteve; 02-02-2013 at 05:42 PM.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #22

My wife and neighbor did that too. Both backed up and turned left/right (slight offset of the driveways) and managed to meet in the middle of the street. My wife was in a Prius with backup camera. Insurance decided neither was at fault and both paid their own clients for repairs.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #23

I have one but I'd rather share one of my Mom's, who has since passed away.

Years ago Mom was backing their Monte Carlo out of the garage, got too close to the garage door and scrapped the passenger side of the car and broke the mirror off. My Dad and I happened to be outside on the driveway and witnessed the debacle.
Dad waves at Mom to stop and tells her she's just scratched up the car and Mom calmly replies

"Well at least no one was hurt".
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #24

^^ I watched my neighbohr from across the street pull into the drive and drive right through the garage door. I think she was sleep driving. Luckily she was alright.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #25

I was 17, driving home from work on a very cold Winter evening in my dad's Renault Le Car (long story on how he ended up with THAT). Car had a 4-speed stick and a manual choke. After about a half mile, the engine is warmed up. I attempt to push in the choke, and it's sticking. I look down to see what's going on and (without realizing it) gradually veer to the right. The right side of the car goes up the side of a snow bank, and the car rolls onto the driver's side.

Fortunately, the car had a very large, manual canvas sunroof. I opened that and crawled out. The person behind me stopped to see if I was okay. More embarassed and surprised than anything else. We flipped the car back on all four. The side mirror was bent, and the "Le" from "Le Car" on the door was scraped off.

Told Dad I would pay for it myself. Cost $170 (that's how long ago it was).

Let the guffawing commence.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #26

Garage
Well, let's see..... I've had a few. The last one was about 10 years ago. I backed out of my driveway in a Honda civic and T-boned my truck that I forgot that I had parked in the street. The first thing I did when I got out was to look up and down the street... and say to myself... "did anybody see that"???

dbear61, I've got one for you. About 25-30 years ago I had a LeCar also. We used to call it either the LeCan or the Le********************. It was actually a fairly new car at the time. It didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. I was merging onto an onramp in an un-named city. (They may still find me).... anyway, I got onto the freeway and heard this screeeech-bam!, screeeech-bam! and so on. You get the idea. The driver behind way underestimated my lack of power to get up to speed. It didn't make the news but there were at least 8-10 cars piled up behind me.

So then the karma: Years ago my x-wife rear ended me on sheet-ice and messed up both our vehicles. Problem was; I owned both of them and insured both of them.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #27

My dumbest (and there have more dumb ones than I care to admit) was from a few years ago, on the day I picked up my wife and brand-new daughter from the hospital after she was born. I was starving, so I stopped at a drive-thru to pick up some fries. Making a left hand turn from the center lane, behind one other truck. Figured I had a few minutes, since on-coming traffic was quite heavy, I just knew that I HAD to get the last little bits of fried goodness from bottom of the fry container, so I tipped it up to my mouth, and was so engrossed in the yumminess that I took my foot completely off the brake. Next thing I know, thump, I rolled right into the truck in front of me. Most expensive French fries I've ever bought!
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #28

I had to think rather hard to remember this one, so I guess I've been lucky to not have many dumb accidents...

Since I'm single, I a lot of times become the hotel for wayward guys separating from their wives. I was hosting a co-worker about 15 yrs ago. My two cars were in the garage and his pickup was about half way down the driveway so I could get either car out.

It's Sunday morning and I'm going to church. I get in the car that's in the same lane as the pickup. I start the car (my 79 Mustang Pace Car) and see it's got no gas. Dang! Shut it off and run up and get the keys to my 2 yr old 97 Probe GT. Now I'm behind schedule so I buzz out of the garage not thinking about being careful. Bang! Hit the side of his bumper with the rt qtr panel of my car. Crap! It just put a mark in his bumper that I was able to buff out, but did quite a bit of damage to my car. I was so pissed. He was paying me some modest rent but whatever he paid was now going to go out the window as my deductible. I told him he was out at the end of the month.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-06-2013 at 03:51 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #29

Oh, okay . . . if we're going to get all confessional . . .

I used to drive a monolithic Mercedes SEL (stands for Super Extra Long). It was more of a boat than a car, it swaddled you in leather, you could lay down full length in the back seat, never felt a bump. Fabulous cruiser.

So I pulled into the driveway, both kids in the back, and hop out to do something or other. I turn my back, and hear this odd squealing noise. It's the kids, screaming at the top of their lungs because the car is cruising up the driveway, heading for the garage. I had forgotten to put it in park. Or put the brake on. Luckily it was going pretty slow. I ran up the driveway, jump into the passenger seat and pull the brake. Slowed it down just enough so I could scramble into the driver's seat and hit the brake. The car just touched the pile of plywood hubby had leaning against the garage wall. No damage.

To this day, whenever anyone in the family gets out of the driver's seat of a running car, we all say "Park! Brake!" Kids will never let me hear the end of that one . . .
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I have one but I'd rather share one of my Mom's, who has since passed away.

Years ago Mom was backing their Monte Carlo out of the garage, got too close to the garage door and scrapped the passenger side of the car and broke the mirror off. My Dad and I happened to be outside on the driveway and witnessed the debacle.
Dad waves at Mom to stop and tells her she's just scratched up the car and Mom calmly replies

"Well at least no one was hurt".
A woman after my own heart! She sounds like an awesome lady.