Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #1

Got my first Boxster

Just got my first Boxster, 118k miles 1999 and I'm loving it. Got the rear window replaced and the guy did a so-so job.. but it works. Love the car very much but want to make modifications that won't cost too much.

First, there are about 2 inch a half diameter dents protruding outwards on the back trunk and paint chipped. How much would it cost to get those dents fixed and touched up? (approx.)

Second, my MAF is tripping the CEL and would like to just put the OEM air intake on. I believe that's what I would need, still learning all this lingo. I took it to autozone and the CEL code showed it was coming from MAF, and the guy I bought it from said this 3rd party intake thing tripped the CEL. Would like for that to not come up.

Not coming from a car background, what should I do to ensure the life of my Boxster? I want to make sure everything in it is good and I'm not driving on a ticking time bomb. Thanks guys!

ethernetkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #2

Garage
Assuming that the previous owner installed an aftermarket cold air intake, there's a good chance that he cut away the oem airbox in order to install it. If that's the case, there's no easy way of going back.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #3

Garage
The first thing I would check on the MAF is to remove it and clean it with some MAF cleaner. Many times it will just be dirty and that may fix it. definitely the cheapest possible fix. If not then you are spending more money
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Assuming that the previous owner installed an aftermarket cold air intake, there's a good chance that he cut away the oem airbox in order to install it. If that's the case, there's no easy way of going back.
Darn.. he said it was cut poorly.. is it possible to go back to normal for ~$150?
ethernetkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernetkid View Post
Darn.. he said it was cut poorly.. is it possible to go back to normal for ~$150?
Here is a link that has pic's of the airbox:
Pic of removed airbox?

New airbox is $400+. Find one cheaper at a recycler or from someone parting out a car. Here is a link to the parts diagram so you can figure out exactly what parts you need:
Porsche Boxster Air Cleaner Parts
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

By the way congrads on the new ride. Lets see some pics.

rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote