Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you have a front license plate on your Porsche?
No Front Plate 61 59.22%
Yes I Have a Front Plate 42 40.78%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #21

Not a big fan of the front license plate. When I was getting my car serviced at the dealer, I walked around the whole garage and saw that no one else had a plate. Mechanic said most don't but they could drill the holes for me. PASS! Cops may just let you off with a warning.

rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, I have a front plate here in Commiefornia. Resistance is futile (and expensive).
LOL - Here in Commierado I got a ticket several years ago and since then I've complied blindly. I don't know how the trolls are behaving now, but its time to get the front bumper naked again
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #23

Wisconsin law REQUIRES front plates for all cars and light trucks. Years ago, I actually got stopped for not having a front plate (it had detached when I was in a hurry and parked into a snowbank).

Probably the same mentality that Schnellman endures in OH.

On a related note, I'm guessing Johnny Dangerous has high-tech revolving plates to thwart law enforcement as he carries out his mis-deeds.

Bear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #24

Wyoming has a front plate law, and where I live (Jackson Hole), we have a high cop to driver ratio 8 months of the year. They like to collect the $ and will stop you if you don't have a front plate. I run a front plate; not worth the expense and hassle of a ticket.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #25
Homeboy981

Garage
I was tricked into putting on a plate!

Had to affix it permanently, in other words, if it is removed…there will be scars.

I did my best to not allow the plate to obstruct airflow. It made me wonder COULD REQUIRING A LICENSE PLATE CAUSE A REDUCTION IN MPG?

Think about it for a second. On our cars at least the plate hangs out there like a wrapper off a candy bar. It is flat. It grabs air. It is on the front. It would destroy surface air over the center of the vehicle. Don't know how to prove it but the result in ˝ to 1 mile per tank and, IF you have ever had to walk a mile, that can be HUGE over the life of a vehicle.

Think about it, every time you fill up you could have gotten another mile more, if not for those state regulations.

We ALL GO FURTHER WITH LESS REGULATION!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #26

I'm a cop here in NYS, don't have a front plate on my box. Shhhh don't tell. I would say almost all the guys I work with wouldn't give you a hard time as long as you are cool with them. It does give us a reason to stop you though.
Springman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #27

springman, where in NY are you?
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #28

Little east of you, north fork.
Springman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #29

I just got pulled over two days ago here in Loudoun County, Virginia. I wasn't speeding but accelerated away from a right-on-red stop light. Apparently the accelerating got his attention and then he noticed the missing tag. No mention of speeding. I told him the reason for no tag was that I had the bumper painted recently (2 years ago) and lost the screws (true).
He gave me a warning.
Sadly, I will put the license plate back on. After two warnings in 7 months (Cayenne now sporting a front tag) I don't want to push my luck.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #30

I do have a front plate. To me going without's not worth the potential hassle. All I need is to be stopped after dinner & one too many drinks, the I'm in to a DUI. I did make it less obvious by using a low profile body-colored frame, trimming down the plate, and painting the outer edge black.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
I just got pulled over two days ago here in Loudoun County, Virginia. I wasn't speeding but accelerated away from a right-on-red stop light. Apparently the accelerating got his attention and then he noticed the missing tag. No mention of speeding. I told him the reason for no tag was that I had the bumper painted recently (2 years ago) and lost the screws (true).
He gave me a warning.
Sadly, I will put the license plate back on. After two warnings in 7 months (Cayenne now sporting a front tag) I don't want to push my luck.
It's usually a fix-it-ticket. Wait till you get a ticket that requires you to mount the plate to avoid the fine of approximately $30.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #32

I have earmarked $75 a year for a front license plate voilation because mine fell off in the garage, and have yet to use the monies budgeted for it, although I've been stopped twice and given a verbal warning. Once was by Houston PD and once was by Texas Dept. of Safety.

I heard that in Texas a new safety law was passed and it contained a loophole that when fought, can easily get one off of a front plate violation if you take them to court. Frankly, my time to go downtown, park the car, argue a case, and get back to work or home is worth a lot more than $75 so I'd probably just pay it.

I've always thought that front plates were required to make it easier on LEOs to point radar/laser guns at to get a solid reading the first time... and for photo cameras in intersections. Of course, I rarely drive my Porsche at speed on public roads any more. It's not any fun compared to the track!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
He gave me a warning.
Ah, good ol' Virginia..lived there 4 years (UVa) and loved it dearly, but they're not so nice when it comes to traffic laws and regulations. Hell, I'd have to sell my Valentine if I ever moved back! The deck is so stacked against the driver! Hardly seems fair..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #34

Garage
For eleven years I had a YOM ( year of manufacture ) plate on my 190SL
-1958 and nobody said anything including the border guards.

For the Boxster I took my front plate to a sign place and had them scan the plate and make me a 4" X 8" vinyl stick on sign . It's been on for two years
most people don't even notice the difference and the cops haven't stopped me yet.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #35

i hate front plates. Just the thought makes me cringe.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #36

Garage
I had a front plate until I found a GT3 front bumper a few years ago. It didn't have the holes yet, and I just couldn't drill into it. I have been pulled over once and got a warning. I bought the Skene Design bracket (mentioned by Chuck in post 7) and painted it black and it is ready to mount, but that bumper looks so good with no front plate that I will wait until I actually get a ticket before I consider it. It seems 9 out of 10 newer Corvettes do not have a front plate.

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #37

Ah, these pictures have prompted me to buy a set of bumper plugs from BumperPlugs.Com just so I can remove my license plate for a nice clean look. Plus, since I also decided to add a center radiator I will not have to worry about blocking the air flow to it!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
l3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
I don't sport a front plate and haven't gotten any flack for doing so. Drove by countless police with no problems. Took mine off in 2012 when they accidentally omitted the rule, but cannot say if it is still like that now we're in 2013. I abhor front plates.
They didn't omit the rule. The Texas Legislature forgot to specify the punishment. It used to be a class C misdemeanor in Texas (up to $200 fine). The type of misdemeanor determines what court holds jurisdiction. Without a clearly defined punishment range, they can't determine what level of offense has been committed. I have my front plate on a tow hook license frame under the front seat ready for quick install if needed.

Last edited by l3m; 01-24-2013 at 08:04 PM.
l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #39

Here in the all the UK it is law to have a front & rear number plates and everyone and I mean everyone has them fitted, you wouldn't get 2 miles without being stopped and booked by our nice police patrol man over here, we do make adjustment to them and you can even be booked for that. my number plate is illegal because the number 6 isn't in the correct place it reads:- S 6UVS

Only my front number plate is spaced out this way, it should read:- S6 UVS

As my rear number plate is, my theory is if Plod (nick name for our police) are following me, they have time to look at my number plate and can see that it is correctly spaced out and quite legal, so he shouldn't stop me as long as I'm not doing anything else illegal, however not so worried about the front number plate as if Plod are coming towards me, 9 times out of 10 they are responding to a call and can't be arsed to turn around and chase me and give me a minor ticked for a number plate violation. not been stoped in 2 years of ownership.

But there as some that are just asking to be stopped lol.

Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #40
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
All of my cars have front plates, don't want to give anyone a legal reason to pull me over. I can't see the front plate on any of my cars when driving them....

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote