Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #41

The guy must very simply have been a halfwit. Any knowledgeable Porsche employee would know the Boxster and 911 are the same car available in two different engine orientations. If you lament the Box, you lament its sister 911.

Yes, the Boxster gets lower output engines. But it's the same engine and power is only one part of a complex package that goes into a great car.

Even a basic 2.5 986 is quicker than most early 911 models, values for which have gone crazy. Ditto something like the original E30 M3.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I always find this statement a bit odd. If you can't afford a new 991 or newish 997 you can buy an old 911 all day long. The papers are full Carreras going for the same money as a low mileage Boxster or Cayman. In fact, some 996 Carreras can be had for barely $10K. High miles of course but a water-cooled Porsche can handle it.

The notion that a Boxster is the default option for a limited budget is misplaced.
Water-cooled Carreras are depreciating just the same as Caymans and Boxsters.
Actually when the stock market crashed in 2008-2009 they took a nighmarish beating. Some 996's that stickered well over $80K could be had for less than $40K before the factory warranty had even expired. Ouch.
You are so right. My brother bought a 2002 C2 Cab 6speed new for $96k. It was a 3rd car so by 2008 he had put only 17,000 miles on it. It was perfect -- garaged all day, under a car cover inside. Never driven to work. Not a tiny stone chip, interior and wheels perfect. Spent 3 months trying to sell it before getting an offer of 40k and settling on $42k. THe second owner got the world's best deal on a sportscar!
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
You are so right. My brother bought a 2002 C2 Cab 6speed new for $96k. It was a 3rd car so by 2008 he had put only 17,000 miles on it. It was perfect -- garaged all day, under a car cover inside. Never driven to work. Not a tiny stone chip, interior and wheels perfect. Spent 3 months trying to sell it before getting an offer of 40k and settling on $42k. THe second owner got the world's best deal on a sportscar!
Did he sell it in 2009 or 2008?

A $54K depreciation over 6 years isn't too bad.
The interesting thing would have been to see how much he would have been able to sell for at the height of the credit bubble when the car was only about a year out of warranty. I'm guessing holding onto the car for those last two years cost him at least $25K. Dumping water-cooled Porsches turned out to be a lot like dumping houses before the crash.

The interesting was that the Cayman and Boxster prices didn't crash as hard because their prices weren't up that high in the first place. Yet another good reason to buy your luxury used. At times the credit market has a cold blooded way of giving Porsche mark ups/margins a swift reality check.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #44
Usercpy

Garage
the 911 should thank Boxster for not being bankruptcy.....

Last edited by ilikeching; 01-17-2013 at 07:25 PM.
ilikeching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #45

I actually don't feel that the Boxster is really missing much compared to the 911 on the "car" level, i.e removing any 911 star power or allure.

First, the interiors of the Boxsters are almost always fairly close to the 911 each generation, the 911 may have a few extra gauges and better seats, but for the most part, they seem fairly and practically similar.

2nd, I'm really comparing more to the base 911 - as obviously the bigger engine 911's have what the Boxster and S don't have: A lot of power. (Especially the turbo) But then, money enters the fray and it's no longer a feasible comparison.

For the everyday guy, driving around town and the fun backroads, I think a Boxster is really sufficient. It may not have the 911 brand, but who cares - it drives in some regards even better.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #46

In any group there are those who will look down there nose at others:

The Ducati guys frown on the Gixxer guys
The Harley guys whence at the Jap cruisers
The Rolex crowd looks down on the Seiko wearer
The Mooney pilot --- well you get the idea.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #47

From my perspective.....the older you get, the less you care what others think. Believe me, it's VERY liberating.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #48
Certified Boxster Addict

I could care less what others think, its Porsche that has me worried. Why on earth doesn't the Boxster get the bigger motors or a Turbo or a GT-3 or even a measly -R version?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I could care less what others think, its Porsche that has me worried. Why on earth doesn't the Boxster get the bigger motors or a Turbo or a GT-3 or even a measly -R version?
Because you would be taking away kudos & profit from THE recognised icon.

Forget the Boxster, if Porsche wanted to promulgate a potential world beater both on track & road, they would shoehorn a Metzger GT3 engine into a Cayman... but that ain't going to happen while the 911 rules the roost.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #50

I have had some of the same comments. I like the one when someone calls it a girls car. They are normally ones who are stuck in a minivan and would probably enjoy a boxster given the chance.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallison View Post
I have had some of the same comments. I like the one when someone calls it a girls car. They are normally ones who are stuck in a minivan and would probably enjoy a boxster given the chance.
I actually had that happen a few years ago, not kidding. I was at a stop light with the top down in the right hand lane, a Nissan Quest minivan pulls up on my left hand side. A 40 something guy who was in the passenger front seat felt the need to turn and say "nice chickster", I turned to see who / what said that and noticed him and then saw that his wife was driving. I just cracked up and didn't even respond.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #52

Quote:
Personally, I tbhink 300hp from a 3.4l lump is plenty.

A Mezger GT3 option is alluring. But a turbo Boxster? Yuck.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #53
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
The guy must very simply have been a halfwit. Even a basic 2.5 986 is quicker than most early 911 models, values for which have gone crazy. Ditto something like the original E30 M3.
+1

Who cares what other people say. Prejudiced people just end up being shut out anyway.
What is not to love about the Boxster with heated seats and air cond. Options u don't get with earlier 911's ? Even if my engine blows up I can go out and buy a used
Box with a running engine.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post

Forget the Boxster, if Porsche wanted to promulgate a potential world beater both on track & road, they would shoehorn a Metzger GT3 engine into a Cayman... but that ain't going to happen while the 911 rules the roost.
They may have to. the new 981 Cayman is already rumored to be slower than the Boxster Spyder in track testing.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #55
Certified Boxster Addict

Its surprising that Porsche hasn't followed BMW down the path of maximizing the sales of each model through model proliferation.

For example, the 5-series is available as a Sedan, Estate, and GT. Three engines are offered across these models along with an option for all wheel drive. And of course, there is the M option. Similar configurations are available for all of the major BMW models (1, 3, 5, and 7).

BMW has shown that this proliferation of models results in higher total sales. Sure, there might be a few low end 7-series sales cannibilized by high end 5-series buyers but overall the company has demonstrated that its earns more sales in total.

Porsche takes this approach for the 911 (Carerra, CarerraS, convertible, 4, Turbo, and GT-3) but surprisingly not for the Boxster or Cayman. Some might say that they are leaving a lot of potential sales on the table.

If I were running Porsche (insert a lot of laughter here!), I would merge the Boxster and Cayman into one car model (as the convertible or coupe options) and then proliferate the model line as discussed above. I would have the upper end of the Boxster/Cayman line overlap the lower one-third of the Carerra line. This way, any Boxster/Cayman sales that came at the expense of Carerra sales would be about the same revenue.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-19-2013 at 09:06 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #56

Quote:
BMW has shown that this proliferation of models results in higher total sales. Sure, there might be a few low end 7-series sales cannibilized by high end 5-series buyers but overall the company has demonstrated that its earns more sales in total.

Porsche takes this approach for the 911 (Carerra, CarerraS, convertible, 4, Turbo, and GT-3) but surprisingly not for the Boxster or Cayman. Some might say that they are leaving a lot of potential sales on the table.
Ahhh, but the 911, Boxster and Cayman are all one model. It's just brilliant branding and some clever engineering tweaks that make you view them as separate models. So what we're dealing with is one model in a very large array of configurations. Very clever.

Given Porsche's profitability, I'd say they know exactly what they're doing. Sure, they could do a Boxster Turbo (ghastly idea, but people would no doubt buy it). But there are implications for that sort of model re 911 sales

What you have to appreciate is that a Boxster / Cayman and a 911 are essentially the same car. But when you look at the list prices, you realise the margins on the 911 must be massive. And that's why Porsche doesn't make Boxster / Caymans that threaten to cannibalise 911 sales.

They are way ahead of us on this stuff, I reckon.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #57

Garage
Pothole Quote - "Ahhh, but the 911, Boxster and Cayman are all one model"
Aside from the front end looking much the same how do you figure this? The boxsters are mid-engine cars and the 911 is a rear engine car... completely different setup and both drive completely different.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Pothole Quote - "Ahhh, but the 911, Boxster and Cayman are all one model"
Aside from the front end looking much the same how do you figure this? The boxsters are mid-engine cars and the 911 is a rear engine car... completely different setup and both drive completely different.
Different set up? yes....different hardware? Not so much. The bits are all essentially from the same bin, just assembled and attached in different ways...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #59

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Different set up? yes....different hardware? Not so much. The bits are all essentially from the same bin, just assembled and attached in different ways...
Well I'm sure there's lots of parts that cross-match because the 'style' of the cars is so much the same, but that doesnt mean the cars themselves are the same! In the end they'd be silly to make or redesign every part seperately. Personally I think the 911 is far overpriced for what you get, but in the end you're paying for the '911' badge and its historic success which is what the stealerships use as leverage to boost the price tag.
Hey I can go out and buy a Escalade or a Yukon and get fancy trim and some extra features for and extra 30K in the Escalade and the parts are essentially the same....

Last edited by Heiko; 01-19-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #60

My understanding is that Porsche do not report Cayman and Boxster sales separately, they are lump together as 987 or now 981.
Porsche limited engine options for the Boxster and Cayman because they fear the mid engine threat. I cant think of another brand that went out of their way to develop a deliberately less powerful engine for a new model. Inexplicably tall first gear to create a bigger gap on 0-60 times? The really funny thing is that if you were to randomly pull a part off the Boxster you're much more likely to be holding a part number beginning with 996 than 986. If it had the 3.6 it would essentially have been a 99-04 Carrera roadster with superior handling. And the inevitable time sheets would have upended the whole narrative that rear engine is superior. So the 2.5 was the only option to avoid explaining why the Boxster was faster than the mushy 993 Carrera being sold at the time of the Boxster launch.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-19-2013 at 08:43 PM.