Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Good idea but don't do this the next day Jeff Who Lives At Home - Porsche Crash - Clip - YouTube
i am dying laughing. i took a friend on a test drive when i first got the box, and just like the clip, we spun out doing 360's. luckily, no trees but scared the crap out of me

Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
No, but that picture got me a little excited as I tried to imagine how to handle a woman that size. I guess she defined the term "Boy Toy"
I just wanted to rule out any chance of domestic violence breaking out ! My "ex" would pummel me for no reason, let alone for buying a new car without her permission.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #23

pre-discussions don't always work either...

a few weeks after selling the 944:
i said "i think i want to get a boxster."
his response was "if that's what you want."
i bought a boxster.
i'm still hearing how "we" never discussed it.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 12-24-2012 at 06:04 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #24
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16 View Post
i am dying laughing. i took a friend on a test drive when i first got the box, and just like the clip, we spun out doing 360's. luckily, no trees but scared the crap out of me
Oh ya and I know you were driving you crazy sob! Let's now go see if your Box can go 150mph without a good inspection of the tires and suspension.

Welcome back, we've missed you! Hope all is great.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #25

Garage
OK. I was not looking for a Porsche when my T bird died. I was in a mood for a durnago for the wife & thought I would take her car for my DD. She looked over my shoulder one day & saw me looking at Porches, a 928 or 944 was what I was thinking about. She all but insisted that we buy a Porsche even though I told her how much it might cost in maintenance. She knew how much I missed owning a P-car & wanted me to have my dream back. We looked at a few & found our '01 Arena red & she told me "you better buy this car"
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #26
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Thankfully my dad never had this issue. My mom surprised him with a Porsche for Father's Day last year.

Then this year she gets the itch, and buys one for herself.

Needless to say, they both love their P-cars.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #27
Newb

Here are a few scenarios that I could choose to reveal the purchase of my Boxster to my wife.

BTW, Do realize that she has suggested that I sell my bike and buy a Porsche a long time ago, because she will never ever get on a motorcycle.

Method #1:

Dear Xxxxx,

For the past month I have been trying to find the right time to inform you that I am having an affair. I still love you but just needed something extra in my life. She is very petite and dark skinned of european decent. She looks as good from the rear as she does from the front and prefers to be topless when we are together. We just kinda fell for each other when we first met. The first time I was inside of her and felt how responsive she was I new it was real by the way she purred. Her skin feels like some of your very finest European leather gloves. Then I thought how great it would be if you could be included in a night out with us. She is up for it anytime as am I. I hope you understand my needs as I do not want this relationship to get in the way of what we have. You know I work hard and make sure that you and the kids have all you need. This may be a good thing that we can enjoy together on a regular basis. Her name is Porsche (Porsha) and I am sure you will love her when you meet her. She will most likely have her top on at this time of the year, so no need to get your hair frazzeled upon first meeting her.

Method #2:

On Christmas Eve around 4:00 A.M. I quietley go out and swap her Odyssey in the garage with the Boxster and put a bow on it with the roof down. I bought three 1:24th scale diecast Boxster models to put in my three boys Christmas stockings. When they all realize that they all have the same car and each of them is a different color, I will tell them that the blue one is my favorite one and that is what I asked for from Santa. But I will say oh well he got mixed up and gave each of you these cars instead. As the morning progresses and one of them venture into the garage. I would love to see the face on him. They would come and try and get me off the couch to see what's in the garage, I would laugh it off and continue watching TV. Then my wife would see it first and say WTF (silently in her head of course as she never swears in front of the kids). I would then proceed to to thank her for the awesome christmas gift.

Method #3:

After the kids find their little Boxster models in their Christmas stockings, I tell me yougest son (5yr) that I like his blue one the best. I will tell him it looks just like the one in the magazine in the bathroom that mommy bought for me last summer and that is my dream car to have someday. While my wife and daughter are in Japan, I bring the Boxster home to work on it a bit. Just before my wife heads back home, I send her an email with a few pics and break the news to her that I purchased an awesome Porsche Boxster.

Method #4:

I am going to be away on business for almost all of January and February. I just landed a windfall of great work. The next two months are going to be great months for income and we are paid up on nearly every one of our bills through February right now. During the last week of February I will be returning home and begin having her choose and help design the new kitchen that I told her I would build this spring.(I just completed the bathroom and living room remodel.) I will also mention that I bought the Porsche Boxster that I have wanted for a long time. The spring, summer and fall of 2013 should be a lot of fun and I will most likely ride my bike less which is statistically safer.
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #28

Are you kidding!!!

You won't get any respect from someone when you are kissing their ass!

Simply tell her you needed to buy this car, because it makes you happy.

Tell her you'd appreciate her support and understanding in your time of need.

If she does not, then its time to kiss that partnership goodbye and move on.

If you've done something stupid and got yourself in financial difficulty because of it, then she should kiss your ass goodbye and move on.

Relationships are equal parts of give and take, sometimes you need to take, but be prepared to give as well. Find out what dream of hers you can make happen and follow though on it.

Action speaks louder than words!

My significant other respects me for my go for it attitude and loves that I have the cajones to make dreams come true for myself and her.
{No I'm not rich, just know whats important in life}
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 12-24-2012 at 09:49 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #29
Newb

Told her today as we were hanging out watching the kids play with all their new gifts. She was absolutely OK with it as long as our plans for this spring and the kitchen remodel are unaffected.

Sometimes I worry about things I needn't.
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #30

Just curious...but why didn't you just tell her that you were going to check out a Boxster in the first place?
Sounds like you are a master of conflict avoidance...only problem is that there is no such thing in a marriage. Well maybe for sneaking a trip to the bar with the guys but buying a car is a bit harder to fall by the way side.

This topic reminds me of that saying about buying a Porsche that needs work: you can pay now, you can pay later but you will pay.
Facing the music is something you can ever really escape with womens.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #31

You don't have to tell her. Just park it at your girl friends house.
And if you feel the need to explain to your girl friend why you bought a Boxster, you need a new girl friend!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #32

My wife was pretty understanding. She said I could have a girlfriend or a sportscar. When I got the Boxster and she wanted to drive it. I said what if I got a girlfriend instead of the Boxster, would you expect me to share?

opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote