Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Drrooool.........Flavor, I hate you............JK, Beautiful Turbo!!!!

I took off next week also. Going to cut out part of the garage floor, pour a pad and recess a scissor lift....
A built-in sissors lift? You are living my dream! Post pics of the install and finished product.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #22

I have three projects in various stages of preparation. I may not get them all done over the holiday due to a need for some parts:

1. Install 04 top and frame
2. Intermittent wiper hack
3. 996 Gauge cluster
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #23

I'm finally installing a heater in my detached garage.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Your car rocks. Very awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
OHHHHH GAWD! 993 Turbo in arena red is my favorite combo!
Beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Drrooool.........Flavor, I hate you............JK, Beautiful Turbo!!!!
Thank you, guys. Merry Christmas.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #25

That is truely an awesome red!

For myself, I just finished th eintial install of a new Kenwood DNX9980HD DD radio. Picked it up from Amazon for $800. Beats the $1400 Crutchfield wanted for the DNX9990HD, but only Crutchfiel carries the Helix B five amplifier. So, I'm waiting for that to arrive on the 26th and then I'll finish up the install. I have Infinity Kappa 4629CFP plate speakers I plan to remove forem their plate and install in the dash. If the same speakers will fit in the rear storage box I'll put a set there as well. I already bought the speaker kit from ********************************************.com and if the plates will not fit after diassembly I'l put two pairs of Infinity 3.5 in back instead. I have Kicker 6.5" subwoofers for the doors.

And miles of wiring to pull. Kind of bummed that I will have to pull the entire dash off to pull the wires properly, but such is life. I'll also be pulling the seats and capet to route the wires. And if I can get on here early enough a license plate camer to add to the rear. Anything to help the backup situation when trying to look out that tiny rear window - whcih will only get worse when I replace the top with a model with a glass window and defroster.

Tomorrow at least I get to take a 4 hour spin to see some relatives im AZ, which is why I put the new HU in there today. Really bummed though when I found the PO had split the brass collors for the drivers side visor mount. Means I can't ride with the top down! Not until I fix it with an insert or a new windshield (mine's a bit pitted). Gotta take the windshiled off to get to the collars so maybe this is my rides way of telling me a new windshield should be purchased now.

Have a Merry Christmas,

Art
AKnowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Thank you, guys. Merry Christmas.
Flavor...
There's a good road test in the Jan edition of the UK "Classic & Sports Car" between a (beautiful Riviera Blue) 993 Turbo Vs Ferrari F355GTS Vs Lotus Esprit V8.
Some really great pictures and details - but I won't spoil it by telling you who won the day....
Old 12-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #27

In the process of replacing my waterpump and thermostat. Trying to figure out how to remove those stubborn coolant hoses.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #28
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
It may not be Porsche related as I just got through building the 98 this summer, but its what I have going right now:

Well, here is my build... I picked up from Dave R at SUB an 1989 Honda Transalp he posted on FB. I have been looking for one of these bikes for years and the bike and timing were perfect. There are a lot of dual sport rides that I have had on the back burner for years and with the rebuild of this bike I am hoping to achieve many of them.

Well, the bike when I put it in the studio it was running great, but with any bike that is 24 years old there is only so much trust you can put in seemingly good looking parts. After two months of ordering parts and pieces both from US suppliers and European vendors, I can finally begin the tear down on the bike.

I have been able to get the suspension upgraded: front forks are from an XR650 (rebuilt) and the rear shock is an XR250 with the spring upgraded to Spring rate: 11.5kg / mm. This places the bike seat at just under 41".

Other areas that I will be replacing or upgrading are:
Carbs rebuilt
Clutch rebuilt
Air box upgraded
Engine mounts upgraded
Top end rebuilt
All electrical connection cleaned and upgraded
Swing arm stripped, coated and bearings replaced
Front and Rear wheels rebuilt
Brakes upgraded
New handle bar
Highway Dirt Bike guards
PIAA lights upgraded
XR450 high mount front fender
XR450 rear fender

It will probably take till the end of January to finish the build...funny how all the parts in bags make the build seem so far from the finish...but that's have the fun!

My end goal is a blend of the existing Transalp form and aspects from the Africa Twin European version when done.

As Robin said, of all the bikes I have built this one seems to multiply the number of parts as they come off.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Eric, where does the family eat!?

Well I finished my project yesterday and didn't order any more parts to work on the rest of week, guess if the weather stays warm enough I just enjoy the new sound. Anyway here is a pic with the muffler installed and then I drove and washed the car.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #30

^WOW! Whip, that exhaust looks g-r-e-a-t.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #31

[QUOTE=Eric G;320746]It may not be Porsche related as I just got through building the 98 this summer, but its what I have going right now:

Eric......I AM VERY JEALOUS!!!!!

I've always wanted a TransAlp!! One of the coolest and most unappreciated bikes out there. I pass by a silver one (my favorite color on them, rare) every two months or so owned by someone who works at a dealership in Zanesville, Ohio. Every time by I contemplate going in and asking...........

Congrats!!!!!
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #32

Garage
102,K miles time for a suspension overhaul & Cayman airbox!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #33

[QUOTE=coreseller;320502]Drrooool.........Flavor, I hate you............JK, Beautiful Turbo!!!!

I took off next week also.

Last edited by coreseller; 01-31-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #34

Coreseller, are there any concerns about structural integrity when you do this?

I'd like to do this as well, but I've never seen it done to an existing garage floor before.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #35

I've talked to several guys who've done this prior to lifting a finger. I still have to excavate 12 to 18 inches out out to the sides of the pictured hole, concrete will be pumped into there to support surrounding floor. There are a variety of methods to "tie" the existing garage floor to the pad below with rebar, or you can dig columns (4 to 6) to act as footers in the hole 36 to 48" deep to underpin the poured pad to keep it from sinking, I'll be doing both. I'm also going to tunnel a 2" PVC pipe under the floor to the area where the pump will be located, it will hold the hydraulic lines and release cable.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #36

More Fun ahead,

Last edited by coreseller; 01-31-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #37
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Core - keep the pics coming, I'm looking forward to the finished product. I would like to do this too but my house is sitting on shale rock.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #38

I purchased one of these for this project:

72", 17 Lb. Digging Bar

Also went through two of these (I broke a brand new one in two, son did the same):

Shop Kobalt 14-3/8-in Post Hole Digger at Lowes.com

I fortunately have a 6' 2" teenage son who is very fit, I have quite a bit of "umph" compared to him due to my......uhem....size.

Each hole took 30 to 45 minutes with he and I switching off, plenty of rocks at the 2 foot mark.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #39

Sam the "hole guard dog":

Last edited by coreseller; 01-31-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #40

Doing this on the side and on the cheap

Last edited by coreseller; 01-31-2013 at 03:16 PM.